Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 PM   #1
jdale49

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Telus
Default Backup / Daily Check best practices

Please Login to Remove!

I have to create a document for our helpdesk to do during their daily check routines.

What should I ask them to look for either in log files or on the server itself to ensure the proper day to day function.

I was thinking of things like
  • Policy Status
  • Last Message Status
  • Messages in Queue
  • Available Memory

Any ideas?

As well as backups. I remember seeing an article somewhere about Disaster recovery... Does anyone know where it may be?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

There's no real rules for checking BES other than making sure the services are running and server is good on memory. Users can be out of coverage or on vacation causing messages to queue up.

The one thing you can check for in the Event Viewer is whether a user's mailbox has been deleted but the user was not removed from BES. There's a specific event ID for this.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

Daily - I scan the application log for errors that would impact the BES .. hung threads etc. As noted watch for anyone who's disabled / removed from AD and not removed from the BES .. BES don't like that There is a document that outlines events that can impact BES performance, though it's kinda outdated and written for BES 4.0

Verify all services are running. I have BES Alerts configured as well MessageConfirm so I get a message every 15mins. If you want to really do a full check send yourself an attachment and verify conversion / open. The AdminKit also has tools so you can track the speed of your BES. The coming monitoring service will be a godsend for this.

Check for HD space, the log files fill up, I like to keep a couple weeks worth for review, troubleshooting.

Monthly - Audit for non usage, last contact greater then 15 days gets an email if they are using their device and if they have an issue. If needed clean off old accounts, people that havn't activated in your alloted time to.

Also I have Diskeeper running as needed between 1am - 5am.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:47 PM   #4
JavaJunkee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

This may have a few tidbits of info -

http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry...nvironment.pdf
Closed Thread