Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #1
BlackBearME

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Help! I'm losing stuff left and right

Please Login to Remove!

OK, here's the skinny. Got an 8100 from a friend, finally got it unlocked today so I've been playing around. I've got a few problems now that I didn't have before:

I downloaded the Desktop Manager and decided to back up the information on my device. Performed the backup, and when it was done, I couldn't access my memory card.

So, I figured I may have messed something up, so I decided to restore from the same file I just backed up with. Apparently this was a mistake. Now I not only cannot access my media card, but now I don't have my browser in my applications, among other things (there were 19 objects earlier, now there are only 14.) I'm leaving it alone for now in fear if f$&^&%-ing anything else up. Any help anyone could give would be appreciated.

ETA: Also (if it helps with diagnosing) I just noticed that I lost all my SMS data too. I still have the data from when I first put in the SIM earlier (which I'm guessing came from my carrier) but I don't have any of the messages which I sent throughout the day today.

Also, when I go into Options> Advanced Options> browser I see "Default Browser Configuration:" And blank screen. It seems I have somehow obliterated the Browser??????

Last edited by BlackBearME; 05-07-2008 at 01:28 AM..
Old 05-07-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What is the OS on the device? There used to be an issue on4.2.0.73 OS devices where Desktop Manager would remove things from the device. However, you have to have run application loader in order for it to do that. If you just did a backup/restore it shouldn't have removed anything.

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Host Routing Table >hit Menu key and select Register Now.

Also, did you have the device plugged in while attempting to view the contents of the media card? You can't see the card while the device is plugged in. Unplug it and you should see it.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #3
BlackBearME

Did not know about not being able to view the media card plugged in. Works fine now, thanks. This is why we ask questions

As for the OS, it is 4.2.0.69.

Did the Registration (What exactly did I just do? And why?) and it said the registration worked, and I now have my browser back. I don't seem to have the t-zones on the applications, though.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
BlackBearME

Yeah, so forget pretty much everything.

I upgraded my OS, and have everything back.

Not to mention, I can get ColorPearl and JiveTalk to work, which they didn't before.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 AM   #5
senone

Model: 8520
PIN: PING! er not
Carrier: T-mo

WOW a another happy customer, Love BB forums !!!
Old 05-08-2008, 12:29 AM   #6
BlackBearME

No kidding. I would still be stuck if I didn't have this place.

Then again, I probably never would have downloaded the Desktop Manager, and so never would have attempted a backup. But now I'm that much the wiser, and farther ahead.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:35 PM   #7
CelticNomad

Model: 8100
Carrier: vodafone spain

Help! 2 days ago I got a new BlackBerry pearl 8100 locked to Vodafone Spain. I'm new to the Blackberry, as you will soon find out! I tried to upgrade the Desktop Manager from 4.2.0.14 to 4.5.0.15. because when I tried to use the application loader it was all greyed out telling me 'the blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator.' and forum advice on similar problems seemed to be to upgrade.
I managed it from the computer point of view, but it didn't prompt for the phone to be upgraded, perhaps because I couldn't find the vendor.xml in the RIM folder to remove it... (there was nothing with the 4.2 version, and only a dll file with the 4.5.)
I tried to download google maps onto the phone. The icon was there and it got to 10%, then said 'network unavailable:this app requires a data connection and some BB devices require reconfiguration to work properly. please visit google.co.uk/gmm on your computer for more info.' (the website was useless).
I tried to actively connect using vodafone live and it said 'vodafone live unable to open a PDP context to the following APN: airtelwap.es This may be happening because the currently selected Browser config is not compatible with the current network', and yet in the phone's menu Settings About Browser it said Default Browser - Vodafone Live and also WAP browser configuration Vodafone Live'.
I thought if I switched the phone off and pulled the battery, and restarted my computer again it might all sort itself out - No! I lost the Vodafone Live icon from my phone's menu, in the Browser, it now is empty, saying only 'Default Browser configuration: '.
I uninstalled the 4.5.0.15 desktop manager, reinstalled the original 4.2.0.14 software that came with the phone, uninstalled the hung Google Maps.Restarted both computer and phone. Still no Vodafone icon or live connection.
Vodafone Spain are less than helpful about customer service, whether in English or Spanish, and given that I was doing these things because I hoped to unlock the phone and not subscribe18 euros per month for their very limited, everything you want is going to cost you' service (which they didn't tell me was extra when I bought the phone) I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction as to what to do next, short of going in to the shop and probably having to pay for them to reinstall their own settings coz I messed it up...
any advice?
thanks...
by the way, I read this forum and I went into Host Rerouting Table and hit Register now. how long does it take for the browser to show up again once you do that if it works? coz nothing has changed....
Old 08-16-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

1. Search your entire c:\ drive for the vendor.xml file. Installations of Desktop Manager will also install that file to your PC. Remove all instances of vendor.xml.

2. For Google Map... Do you have THE BlackBerry Data Plan from VodafoneSpain? You need that. Also look here to enter your TCP settings: What are the TCP and APN settings? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 08-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #9
CelticNomad

thanks
searched and found a vendor.xml file and deleted it. Went into the TCP and APN settings following instructions in your link, filled in the TCP stuff, my Browser still has a blank (and unfillable) default browser config (I can't type anything in there). The HRT editor is still 'no entries', having sent off a registration request about 5 times! The 'service book' page is blank too, Vodafone are such meanies. I presume that's where this data plan you mention would be? I couldn't get it remote unlocked, so I think I may have to talk to vodafone and perhaps subscribe to their 'package', at least till I figure the rest out...
mutter mutter mutter!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #10
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Yes, you need their "package".
Old 08-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
CelticNomad

Ok, so if I subscribe to the vodafone spain 'package', and then if and when I get the phone itself unlocked, as I travel to UK and France fairly regularly, can I pay for a service from Blackberry that will cover me for all the things I got the phone for in the fisrt place, that will not be region or phone service provider specific? in other words, whether I've a spanish vodafone or a orange Uk sim card in, my email forwarding, GPS mapping etc would be from blackberry and not subject to vodafone or orange tariffs?
or do I always have to pay the carrier tariffs for net time etc?
thanks again
Closed Thread