BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
indeed005

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Another Enterprise activation thread (help!)

Please Login to Remove!

I help administer a BES (running Manager 4.1), with Exchange 2003.

We have been having trouble activating a particular user for Enterprise activation.
After many (expensive) hours of frustration and support calls to Vodafone, I come here to ask for your help.
Here's what we went through:

* 12 other BB users work fine.
* Setup user "Bob" on BES (not their real name ;)
* Tried to activate wirelessly on the first device, failed: "Please contact system administrator"
* Since we had another device spare, and the first device had a broken berry that made scrolling impossible, we swapped the SIM to this other device, wiped it, and tried activating again, to no avail, same error.
*Tried hard reset, recreate user in BES manager, called vodafone. wiped the device again, trying to activate all the while, same error (read down, I will past in some log entries)
* Checked the user had not junked their ETP.dat, nothing
* Tried deleting the Bob from the DB
* Have checked the Send As permissions etc for Bob
* Tried wiping the device then activating another user -- worked perfectly.
* Was elevated to level 3 with vodafone, who thought maybe the user had installed the Desktop manager. The user had not.
* We have just tried deleting the user's Exchange account. This still did not work.
I think that's it.

My guess is that somehow the device PIN is somehow conflicting with Bob's email address, in some convoluted way, and this setting is buried somewhere inaccessible.

Quote:
[40239] (08/24 10:38:01.178):{0x1448} {bob@somewhere.com} Still handled by desktop
[41079] (08/24 10:38:01.225):{0x1448} {bob@somewhere.com} PagerImp::SaveChanges: changed items = 23, 24, 45, 84, 86, 87, 88, 89, 95 Size = 2108
[40000] (08/24 10:38:01.240):{0x1448} {bob@somewhere.com} UserControl::UpdateMailboxITPolicy - Updating ITPolicy Information in the user's mailbox.
[30160] (08/24 10:38:01.240):{0x1448} {bob@somewhere.com} GetDeviceId() did not return a PIN, PIN currently is not set for this user.
[40371] (08/24 10:38:01.240):{0x1448} {bob@somewhere.com} UserControl::HandleDatabaseChange - CalSyncState is empty
This is the MAGT log for today, this is what happened every time we tried to activate the user.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

forgot to mention: yes I have searched the forums

EDIT: It appears the ETP.DAT messages (x5) are now stuck in Bob's inbox, unlike before

Last edited by indeed005; 08-23-2009 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: change of problem
Old 08-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #2
DavidAdams
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: NotYe
Carrier: O2

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeed005 View Post
EDIT: It appears the ETP.DAT messages (x5) are now stuck in Bob's inbox, unlike before
This implies a permissions issue on the mailbox. Delete all etp.dat emails before trying again.

Also are you able to activate the device with a different SIM, ie is the SIM provisioned for Enterprise?
Old 08-24-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
besadmin23
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeed005 View Post
* We have just tried deleting the user's Exchange account. This still did not work.
I think that's it.

My guess is that somehow the device PIN is somehow conflicting with Bob's email address, in some convoluted way, and this setting is buried somewhere inaccessible.
Deleting the Exchange account is WAY too drastic.

PIN of device and email address have absolutely nothing to do with one another.

Can you:
  • log into Bob's account by creating an Outlook profile and authenticating with the BES admin credentials? and send and receive??
  • Confirm with Vodaphone that the users sim is configured for BES Enterprise service?

You say you activated another user but you weren't specific if you used a different SIM.

If the same sim did work with a different user, check to see if Bob is a member of any security groups. If so, he will have to be removed as privs are getting stripped. This is a known behavior.
Link
Old 08-24-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
indeed005

Question

Sorry, Yes this has all been on the one SIM card. Other users have activated fine on this same SIM/phone combination, so it is definitely provisioned for Enterprise.

The user has been recreated in the BB user group. Send As etc permissions are enabled, this setting has been checked numerous times, including after recreating the domain profile.

Created a profile for Bob, but I can't authenticate using BES admin credentials, nor is the BESADMIN in the GAL or any other address list. ( odd?)

EDIT: and I did empty his inbox of all ETP emails
Activation still freezes.

Last edited by indeed005; 08-24-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: EDIT
Old 08-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #5
somebody7
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

Try this. www.austintechsys.com/BBsync.pdf

I have issues every once in a while and this helps most of the time. Not sure if its the same issue, but doesnt hurt to try.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
indeed005

Somebody7: Tried that, to no avail.

In the MAGT log I now get:

Pager::OpenClientDatabase: invalid number of messages in client folder , num msg = 0

then it fails and retries.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
indeed005

Unhappy

double post...

Could the problem be something to do with the user connecting his Blackberry to his local machine and attempted to setup BB desktop manager, and this has in some way affected redirection and therefore, activation?
I am told I should delete his local account :/

Blackberries will drive me to drink... coffee at least

EDIT: deleted his local account, which did nothing (as expected). I hope its not just a permissions issue (which I can't check :( but apparently they're right. I guess I'll lobby for a BES reboot tonight and possibly server admin rights so I can check the permission myself.

Last edited by indeed005; 08-24-2009 at 09:51 PM.. Reason: update
Old 08-25-2009, 06:36 PM   #8
indeed005

Default resolved!

triple post...

Restarted the server and ran handheldcleanup utility.

Issue is resolved, activation works.
Closed Thread