Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
bearpace

Model: playb
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Charging issue

Please Login to Remove!

Hey. I have a 32GB playbook I bought from Best Buy in April 2012. I didn't use it for a couple months and when I tried to charge it on the wall I'd get the red light for 15 sec., an empty battery symbol, and a short yellow light afterwards. I tried stack charging (25-30 times unplugging/plugging in when the red light was on) to no avail. I just had a couple questions

1. Since this seems to be a common flaw in these playbooks (based on a quick internet search) is there anything Blackberry can/will do to help?

2. Would Best Buy do anything to help?

If the answer to the first 2 questions are no i would be willing to sell it for cheap to anyone with more interest and knowledge with the playbook who might be able to use it (or just for parts)

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream
Default Re: Charging issue

Try leaving it plugged in overnight. BlackBerry and Best Buy will not be able to help.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Leaving a lithium battery uncharged for a long period of time is one of the ways to ruin it. Common advice if you aren't going to be using a lithium battery for a long period is to fully charge it, run it down to 50% then remove it for storage. The PB battery can't be (easily) removed so you do need to periodically check the device to see where the battery charge is. Failing to do that can result in a battery that won't take or hold a charge.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 PM   #4
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: t-mobile Germany

I agree that leaving a lithium ion battery uncharged for a longer time will lead to severe problems.
However, from my own experience with my pb i think the pb likes to refuse starting, even, when deep discharged for a short time. Leaving it on the charger for several hours helped in all cases.
For me the problem relates more to the unclear status message you get from the pb then in its charging behaviour.
Sometimes you see it is charging, but then it seems to go completely dead at other times.
That may lead to panic at the users side.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
tickerguy

Model: Z10
Carrier: T-Mobile

Make sure it's OFF.
Plug it into the charger and leave it OVERNIGHT or even longer.

DO NOT attempt to power it up.

It will probably be ok. No guarantees, but I've had mine do that after being left unused for a couple of months before, and I thought it was dead.

After leaving it connected to the charger, but off, for 24 hours it accepted a charge and is back to operating normally with no apparent loss of capacity.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Alexutz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: PB
Carrier: None

I've had similar issues with PlayBook some time ago (mine was bought in 2011) and turning it off and leaving it to change over night did the trick.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT&Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearpace View Post
Hey. I have a 32GB playbook I bought from Best Buy in April 2012. I didn't use it for a couple months and when I tried to charge it on the wall I'd get the red light for 15 sec., an empty battery symbol, and a short yellow light afterwards. I tried stack charging (25-30 times unplugging/plugging in when the red light was on) to no avail. I just had a couple questions

1. Since this seems to be a common flaw in these playbooks (based on a quick internet search) is there anything Blackberry can/will do to help?

2. Would Best Buy do anything to help?

If the answer to the first 2 questions are no i would be willing to sell it for cheap to anyone with more interest and knowledge with the playbook who might be able to use it (or just for parts)

Thanks
Can't figure out why you are asking here what other companies will do. Why not ask the people who can answer and do something to solve your purported problem.

They will either help or not. It is up to them. They are reputable companies so I would expect if they knew you had a problem the would deal fairly with you.

Please post the results; especially if good.
Closed Thread