Old 08-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
alslsb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon
Default UMA and Comcast Digital Voice

Please Login to Remove!

We have two Blackberries (8120 and 8320) that worked great on UMA via the TMobile@Home Linksys router. The settings on the Router matched the optimal settings in this forum. We added Comcast digital voice, so they swapped out the cable modem with a new one that supported Comcast digital voice (with rj-11 ports added to support normal phones). Ever since them, outgoing voice communications via UMA are choppy plus whenever a Comcast Digital voice call comes in, it automatically terminates the UMA connection. Since the only thing that changed is the cable modem, we quickly deduced this is the root cause. The question is, how to fix (short of dropping Comcast digital voice). I have not called T-Mobile or Comcast (don't want to deal with bad CSR's), and I have searched this forum and others to no avail. Any experts out there??????
Old 08-17-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

My guess is it's some kind of QoS issue. I'm sure that they have the Comcast Voice setup as priority to give the bandwidth to the telephone. I'm not sure that there is much you can do. I think I would go ahead and call Comcast as they may have had this issue come up before.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Carrier: Verizon

I hate to do this but I'll contact Comcast and post my results for future generation to learn from ...
Old 08-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
pinhead

Model: 9700
PIN: 30EC5097
Carrier: T-Mobile

Would I be correct in assuming that the T-Mobile @Home Router is connected properly to the new modem? If it is then it is very likely that the Comcast equipment is placing a priority on their calling service and is set to do exactly this in order to be sure that you as a customer are sastified with it.

The T-Mobile @Home Router places a priority on voice calls as well for the same reason. You may need to choose one or the other if it is not possible to change the settings on Comcast's equipment.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by alslsb View Post
I hate to do this but I'll contact Comcast and post my results for future generation to learn from ...
I agree with the others here. Comcast set up the router to prioritze their VOIP connection. If you can get into the router settings you may be able to fix this. But there's no standardized router screens so you'd have to post screenshots or list off a bunch of settings to get help.

If Comcast can't tell you how to fix it, you may want to consider dropping Digital Voice. There are tons of cheaper VOIP providers out there and probably with better features. Plus you're not wedded to Comcast with those. Vonage is probably the most familiar one since they advertise a ton and their equipment is sold at Best Buy, Office Depot, etc.

I have Packet8 VOIP and can run my 8320 along side it just fine. In fact to test my UMA connection on new OS's I call from my VOIP to my Curve on UMA.

It did take a lot of help from BBForums to get my router set up for a stable UMA connection.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
pvdilf40
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO

alslsb,
I've got the the comcast Digital Voice MTA (Arris modem) you probably have and subscribe to 2 digtial voice lines and do not have the problem with choppy calls on UMA. I do subscribe to the faster 16mbs/2mbs service so I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm also using a newer Linksys WRT110 b/g/n router and it's doing pretty well with 4.5.0.52 on the 8320 TMO curve.

I don't know if the Comcast tech showed you how, but you can access you Arris MTA cable modem's statistical page via your web broswer at you local LAN's base IP address + 100.1 (i.e. for me it's 192.168.100.1). Once in the MTA's status page, you can view the event log and see if it reported any wierd goings on when the outgoing call was made.
Closed Thread