Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #1
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra
Default File Free monitor

Please Login to Remove!

Hi, all. Is anyone aware of any app that can map out what files and/or applications are taking up space on the BB system memory? I already have File Scout, but really more interested in something for the BB that is like what Spacemonger does for my computer (maps out directories so I can see the ones hogging up all the disk space). The key here is something visual/graphical that will direct me to the culprit that is taking away all the file free space which ultimately causes me to lose e-mail history and/or logs.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
emacf1

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi kjaslow,

why not simply ask the author of FileScout if he would consider to add such a feature within FileScout

Since I do not know this Programm Spacemonger for Windows (I can barely remember a Program called Treesize) it would be nice, if you can describe a bit more in detail how the result is going to look like.

TIA
Matthias
Old 12-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #3
kjaslow

Fair enough...attached is a screenshot of Spacemonger showing me stuff in my RIM folder. The size of the square shows me how much space is being taken. In this case, you can see that I have a large file that is the Desktop Manager, and some movie is sorta large. Would be helpful to have pictures like this that show that a collection of many small e-mail files are taking up my free memory, or is it a large application that consists of many small files.

It's easy to find one or two large files and remove them. But when the problem is a series of related smaller files, that's a harder scenario to recognize and resolve...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spacemonger.jpg (248.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 12-17-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
emacf1

wow! that's quite a strange layout (but of course that's my personal point of view here) - I am not sure, if something similar can be implemented - but I have already something in mind, that is going into that direction.

One of the problems will remain: The API does not allow you access to the part of the device storage where messages and applications are stored - so that part will be not visible for you... but there is nothing that I could do from my side to get around that restriction.

So stay tuned for the next release of FileScout (but there is still a long way to...)

Matthias
Old 12-19-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
kjaslow

Cool. Well, I will stay tuned for sure. The layout of Spacemonger is configurable, but shows at a glance which folders are taking up the most space. Sometimes the most valuable information reveals when a folder contains loads of smaller files.

If there is some way to at least capture the database sizes, that would be very valuable information. Thanks for considering this change!
Old 12-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
emacf1

3'rd party Applications do not have access to the full device storage - e.g. there is no way to get access to the part of the device where the eMails are stored - that's cause of the security model and API restrictions :-|
Closed Thread