BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 02:24 AM   #1
veejay

Model: 7100i
Default Shark Modem (www.mobishark.com)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone! New to the Blackberry world... transitioning from the T-Mobile Sidekick.

I went with NEXTEL because they are the only company I can get cell service with where I work. I don't have broadband internet access or land telephone line access where I'm at also so thats why I went with NEXTEL.

I recently purchased the application, and although the NEXTEL network isn't that fast, it works pretty well. It's better than nothing. I started this thread to post problems that I've encountered while using the Shark Modem. Hopefully someone out there (or the Shark Modem folks themselves) who has also experienced these problems can give some assistance on how to correct. Maybe this thread will has a Sticky! attached to it someday!

Here are some websites I'm having problems with... (using Firefox, but have also tried IE with same results)

- can't seem to access GMAIL (www.gmail.com) error message comes up on screen saying "document contains no data"

- can't access Yahoo! Mail also. Just doesn't load... seems to be transferring data, but never loads after the log on screen.

- Hotmail... nope no luck there either. After the log on screen, it appears to load... but I just end up with a blank screen and loading says "Done"

- AOL Instant Messenger (AIM). I have all the connection settings set to what was displayed in the Shark Modem user's guide. It goes to step 2. "verifying user name and password" then all of a sudden drops off and says "connection lost. check your internet connection"

Thoser are the main problems I've been having. Basically, anything where I have to log on... it locks up and doesn't load. Message boards seem to work fine (including this one!), but other websites like webmails, banking, myspace don't seem to work.

I can however, access these sites on the Blackberry device itself.

ideas? fixes? settings need to be changed? Appreciate the help!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:31 AM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Hi,

Apparently, getting a BES Hosting service, will solve all the above problems. That's what I heard. I believe this is due to certain ports being blocked on TCP/IP, and the fact that only a limited number of TCP/IP connections can be made simultaneously.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 01-20-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

First of all, I have kept Sharkmodem running for about eight hours a day since the official release to allow me to download my POP mail. I have Thunderbird set up to limit downloads to about 20k per message. Works great!

I'm seeing the same kind of problem with a handfull of sites. I can't hit Google's personalized page (www.google.com/ig) or Earthlink's webmail page (www.springmail.com). Both use SSL. As a test I hit an SSL page that I set up that is basically a generic web page hosted on an SSL server. No authentication of any kind. In Sharkmodem I see one connection to the server on port 443. About 150 bytes of data are sent. It then receives about 2k. Then, the connection dies and I see a message that says "The connection was interrupted" in Firefox. It never shows more than one concurrent connection.

I tried the same page in IE. Same thing except "The page cannot be displayed" at the end.

Then, I tried it on my BB using the internet browser. My test page first shows me an "untrusted cert" message. I accept the cert. It requests and loads data, then displays a blank page.

The Sharkmodem guys told me during the beta that it does do SSL, but I can't seem to make it work consistently. It may very will be a BIS issue, but I can't imagine what it is. I don't think it's running out of connections, and the ports seem to be open.

Mark, do you have a BES account? If so can I PM you my test SSL page to see if you can load it?

Dan
Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 AM   #4
dozment
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8700c

I may have found something! The test page that I was using has a redirect in it. The default page redirects to a maintenance.html page. If I plug in the complete path to the maintenance page (still SSL) it displays the page correctly. This time it created two connections over port 443. I think the problem with this particular page may have something to do with the redirect.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:06 PM   #5
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Greeting to All,

Thanks for the feedback. What Mark is saying is true. Carriers blocking ports seems to be an issue for some users. However use of the BES works as well for those who have BES access. Do you guys any further feedback about the site or the application please let us know.

Thanks

The Shark Team

Old 01-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #6
Eddie8
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 317eec66
Carrier: Verizon

whats the difference between the beta version and the version on the web site?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #7
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey Eddie8,

This is in response to your question below:

The Shark Modem Version 1.23 is more stable along with a few improvments - speed, supports POP3 mail, and fixed some bugs.

The Shark Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie8
whats the difference between the beta version and the version on the web site?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:01 PM   #8
danmcg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I can't get this to work at all. It runs on the BB and on my computer and says it's connected. No data. I am running it TCP.

Am I missing something in the setup process? I am disabling my other network connections before plugging in the BB and starting Shark Modem.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #9
dmitrij
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7520

Did you change IE proxy setting to localhost / 3128 accordng to user guide?
Old 01-25-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
danmcg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I didn't even see the user guide. Perhaps this should be in the menu of the application itself. I'll try it out again changing the proxy settings. I thought I had changed them in Firefox already and tested it, but we shall see... Thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #11
dmitrij

Look at Start > Programs > Shark Modem > User Guide
You also should allow http/socket connections for Shark Modem on your handheld
Old 01-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Dmitrij Thanks for the help!!.

Hey danmcg if you have any issues you always contact our support team.

The Shark Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcg
I didn't even see the user guide. Perhaps this should be in the menu of the application itself. I'll try it out again changing the proxy settings. I thought I had changed them in Firefox already and tested it, but we shall see... Thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
tmojay

Model: 8800
Carrier: T

i couldn't connect...

but i'll keep working on it.

with my blackberry i am on t-mobiles BES for my work ( i work for t-mobile). i can view my company's intranet sites via the 'blackberry browser' on my 7290. using the shark modem can i visit the same intranet sites but use my computer's internet explorer instead?

thanks
Old 01-27-2006, 09:16 AM   #14
dmitrij

Yes, you can. I checked..
Old 01-29-2006, 05:16 AM   #15
tmojay

Model: 8800
Carrier: T

i wasn't able to get online via the shark modem. i had the ports right and proxies correct in internet explorer. i am on t-mobile's enterprise server (i work for them) and i tried the http setting and the bes/mda setting to no avail.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:10 PM   #16
mediabb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb

Tmojay,

Please send a request to [email address]. Someone from our support team will assist you.

Thanks!

The Shark Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmojay
i wasn't able to get online via the shark modem. i had the ports right and proxies correct in internet explorer. i am on t-mobile's enterprise server (i work for them) and i tried the http setting and the bes/mda setting to no avail.
Closed Thread