kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon BIS / BES

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewk24
kurichan
Look to see if dial from home screen was turned on when you upgraded. Just a thought.
Thanks. It wasn't turned on.

My problem is that once I'm in the phone app, I can't just start typing the name of the person I want to call. Even pressing "P" from the home screen doesn't work. That would be the easiest solution - if Verizon and RIM made "P" from the home screen work like before (they should make everything work like before - what they've done is a devolution of the product - like if humans woke up without thumbs one morning!)
9630 #4 < 9630 #3 < 9630 #2 < 9630 < 9530 (returned) < 8703 < 7250
Old 01-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #42
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

I am beginning to wonder if there are differences on the actual manufacturing of these units. I like 1raed74 have a 7250 from Verizon as well as kurichan. My 7250 does not allow me to do C for compose, though to me that is not a big inconveninece, and yes dial from home screen is turned on. I hae a second 7250 at home that I have not tried this with. I upgraded both of them to 4.1 OS in the same machine using the same program and the same backup and restore. As near as I can tell they are working identically, with the exception that the second unit is not activated so there are many things I obviously could not test. However I should be able to at the very least press on C and have the compose screen pop up if it is working. Now the interesting thing will be if it does work on that one and not this one. I will post later tonite to bring you up to par.

kurichan I only suggested the reinstall beause you had mentioned some differences, apparently they are not that big a deal so I would leave things alone, specially now that you got the C to work.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-30-2006, 01:57 PM   #43
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
Has anyone with Verizon been able tp synchronize wirelessly.

Toilet Paper synchronize wirelessly? I dont understand.
Old 01-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #44
amaiman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703e

I installed the 4.1 update for my Verizon 7250.

So far, everything's working, except for tethering. I cannot tether at 1x anymore, I get this message:

Quote:
Access was denied because the username and/or password was invalid on the domain.
Checked my settings, it's the usual [email address], password vzw. Is it possible that 1x tethering isn't supported anymore and it's failing because it's trying to get onto the EVDO network?

I don't have the option to try EVDO tethering since my company's Verizon rep insists that the 7250 doesn't support EVDO and won't flip the switch on my account. Anyone here who works for Verizon who might be able to fix that?

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to have to downgrade, I like all of the 4.1 features, but I would like to still be able to tether...
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 PM   #45
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiman

So far, everything's working, except for tethering. I cannot tether at 1x anymore, I get this message:

Checked my settings, it's the usual [email address], password vzw. Is it possible that 1x tethering isn't supported anymore and it's failing because it's trying to get onto the EVDO network?

I don't have the option to try EVDO tethering since my company's Verizon rep insists that the 7250 doesn't support EVDO and won't flip the switch on my account. Anyone here who works for Verizon who might be able to fix that?

Anyone have any ideas? I don't want to have to downgrade, I like all of the 4.1 features, but I would like to still be able to tether...
EVDO will not solve that problem since I have EVDO active on mine and I have the exact same problem with the exact same error.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-30-2006, 08:00 PM   #46
jbowden

Model: 7250

Seems that folks are having different experiences with 4.1 install. I have a VZW 7250 and upgraded to 4.1 this weekend. EVDO and tethering works fine. I have had no issues with that. I did perform a *22899 right after the upgrade and subscribe to the feature code to allow this option. Another observation of mine is that the "C"ompose from home page was not working prior to the 4.1 upgrade. I know it was working prior to 4.0.2 upgrade for EVDO. Overall I am happy with 4.1... this morning i found another phone item that I did not have berfore. If you mute/un-mute you get different tones for each of the functions.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:03 PM   #47
abrecher
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiman

Dang!! I have the same exact problem since I upgraded.

I also found that I can not use the letters on my key pad from the phone menu to dial a stored name in my address book. I had to first select "dial from address book"

I'm rolling back.....
Old 01-30-2006, 08:13 PM   #48
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

Dial from homescreen is set to NO....YES I did install 4.1 on the BB itself. The "C"ompose shortcut works the same as when I had 4.0 & 4.0.2

I have no clue why it is working for me and not others...maybe my BB just likes me better But seriously, it still works the same for me to "C"ompose.

7250 Verizon and using the Default theme (not the List or Large Icon defaults)

Last edited by lraed74; 01-30-2006 at 08:17 PM..
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #49
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Since I installed 4.1, I don't like my Blackberry anymore. :(

I'm downgrading right now, rather than risk a nasty divorce with the thing. It would probably want the kids, half the money and alimony...
Old 01-30-2006, 08:45 PM   #50
KonTiki

Bingo. If you switch to the default Theme, first you will see that the shorcuts are underlined, M for messages, P for Phones, etc. If you are in default insidw e-mail and you press "C" it takes you right to compose. So what is happening is that the plazmic themes are not supporting the shortcuts. I will try to do tethering the same way tonight to see, I have a funny feeling that it might work also.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #51
jbowden

Model: 7250

Ok...dumb question but where do you find the shortcuts?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #52
markhutchison

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
... If you are in default insidw e-mail and you press "C" it takes you right to compose.
Ahhh ... this could explain alot ...

lraed74: are you using the "C"ompose shortcut from the Home screen or from within the Messages app? No one is disputing that "C"ompose still works from within the Messages app. For example, if I am on the home screen and press "MC" it does launch the Compose utility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan
(2)No way to dial by name without three extra steps ... #2 is the deal killer for me. I am a heavy telephone user and this change really slows me down
The loss of this function is crippling to those of us that are heavy phone users. If anyone comes up with a reasonable workaround please post. Last night I got so frustrated with the change that I tried loading the OS 4.0.2 Phone application on top of the remaining OS 4.1 code ... bad idea ...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #53
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhutchison
Ahhh ... this could explain alot ...

lraed74: are you using the "C"ompose shortcut from the Home screen or from within the Messages app? No one is disputing that "C"ompose still works from within the Messages app. For example, if I am on the home screen and press "MC" it does launch the Compose utility.
Sort of what I figured was going on...

Quote:
The loss of this function is crippling to those of us that are heavy phone users. If anyone comes up with a reasonable workaround please post. Last night I got so frustrated with the change that I tried loading the OS 4.0.2 Phone application on top of the remaining OS 4.1 code ... bad idea ...
Haha. I thought about trying that myself but didn't want to muck with it.

I've downgraded to 4.0.2 and EVERYTHING works again
- Tethering
- "C"ompose (from Home Screen)
- Dial by name!!!

Wahoo!!

I must admit though, the device feels a little slower...

I don't think 4.1 is ready for prime time on Verizon. I was having problems with Snooze too. It was bringing up alerts 4x instead of once.

I think I'll wait for the offical Verizon version.

For now, I am back in love with my Blackberry. That'll teach me to mess around!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:44 PM   #54
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowden
Ok...dumb question but where do you find the shortcuts?
Do what the experts do ... systematically press every button on the keypad and then every combined keypress sequence that you can think of.

Or ... I suppose you could read some of the Sticky threads in this forum ... if you want to take the easy way out ...
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #55
kurichan
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Do what the experts do ... systematically press every button on the keypad and then every combined keypress sequence that you can think of.

Or ... I suppose you could read some of the Sticky threads in this forum ... if you want to take the easy way out ...
I like the first method. It also allows you mistakenly call almost everyone on your quickdial list, lest they feel neglected if you haven't called them recently!
Old 01-31-2006, 12:43 AM   #56
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

I'm on the home screen and the "C"ompose still works. I'm not in any messages when using this shortcut.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:10 AM   #57
markhutchison

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74
I'm on the home screen and the "C"ompose still works. I'm not in any messages when using this shortcut.
I know we're beating a dead horse here and I apologize for asking the same question in forty different ways but ... what is displayed when you type the "myver" shortcut in an email on your device?

Inconsistency drives me bananas ...
Old 01-31-2006, 01:29 AM   #58
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I know we're beating a dead horse here and I apologize for asking the same question in forty different ways but ... what is displayed when you type the "myver" shortcut in an email on your device?

------------------------------------------

7250 / 4.1.0.268

I really dont know how or why, I just know it still works to use the "C"ompose shortcut. Why it still works for me and not others, no clue.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:38 AM   #59
KonTiki

Quote:

-When I type myver i get back: 7250/4.1.0268
-When I type mypin I get back: pinxxxxxxx which represents my pin number.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-31-2006, 04:02 AM   #60
PCW
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Droid
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Angry I'll wait for the bugs to be worked out...

Add me to the list of VZW 7250 users who downloaded, installed and tried 4.1.

No bueno.

After discovering the kinks and quirks complained about by previous posters, I reinstalled the older version. I'll wait for either RIM or Verizon to work out the bugs before I try again.
Closed Thread