Old 08-29-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
N1BPD
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Suggestions for a "backup" BB

Please Login to Remove!

I have a Pearl which died* and while I was waiting on the replacement I just put my T Mobile sim in a spare non BB phone I had laying around and that was fine at first.....

After spending about 5 minutes composing a very short txt message that would have taken a few seconds on the BB I've decided to look for a back up/beater BB for when my pearl is out of service or I dont want to risk damaging it (beach, bike riding etc).

Any suggestions on which GSM BB will give me the most bang for my buck if I buy one used or refurbished, bearing in mind I wont need a camera or any of the multi media capabilities. Just Phone, Text, Email and Web browsing but Web isnt needed either if its going to bump price up too much.

* Got the Pearl in February, put it straight into a BSE Skin, Seido Silicone and Holster. never dropped or dunked. Only apps were Opera. After 2 months I notice the LCD has a line of bad pixels, go through the usual troubleshooting with T-Mo & BB and get a warranty replacement. The replacement was treated with the same care and last week when I unholstered it to check email I had white screen with hourglass, waited a few seconds and it shut off, I tried to turn back on, nothing. Then it came back with hourglass on white screen again. keypresses didnt do anything and it just kept cycling between off and white screen with hourglass. Removed battery for a minute and still the same. Went to bed and left battery off all night, next morning - same problem. Spent 3 hours on phone with various T Mo and BB service people and in the end its decided it has some kind of hardware issue and I will be getting 2nd warranty replacement.

I have been through a LOT of electronics - PDA's, Laptops, phones etc.... never had one break, get damaged or even look worn by the time its reached the end of its useful life for me before so I know I'm not abusing the device or anything.... I wont be going to Pearl #4 if this one ends up dying.... I hope it doesnt, as I really like it.. One of the few devices that have exceeded my expectations (other then the return issues).

Turned out longer than I thought for such a basic question.. sorry about that, and thanks for any input you can offer !!

Last edited by N1BPD; 08-29-2007 at 02:41 AM.. Reason: Grammatical
Old 08-29-2007, 05:45 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

I think the 8700 is about as solid as any of the currernt models.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:10 AM   #3
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch
Carrier: at&t

I'd say an 8700, as well, and toss out the 7130c (unlocked, of course). I had mine for eight months and toward the end it put up with some drops like slipping out of my pocket on my slanted driveway and sliding down hill face down. Nary a scratch. Didn't even have a screen protector or skin on it at that point. The 8700 I had also sustained quite a few drops, too, before it's untimely death (water damage).
Funny, I have a Pearl as a back up to my Curve. :p
Old 08-31-2007, 01:11 AM   #4
N1BPD

Thanks for the suggestions.

Pearl arrived today....the "pearl" button scrolls fine, but is hard to use for selecting options and some buttons feel a lot different to others.... hard to depress and no feel for if you actually selected what you wanted or not.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:25 AM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Is this a new device? The ball should have a click feel when you depress it.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #6
N1BPD

John,

The phone was a warranty replacement received from T-Mobile (My Third Pearl, second warranty replacement). I dont know if its new or refurbished, cant tell at all.

The other two pearls I've had had positive feel and worked as I would imagine all the other ones work. The "pearl' on my replacement Pearl has a muted feel, so does the back button to the right of the pearl, doesnt depress as far as the other buttons and doesnt make any kind of click, both buttons have to be pressed pretty hard..... Feels the same as I would imagine a button with lint or dirt underneath would feel...

I fixed the feel and function of the back button by replacing the keypad, I replaced the pearl module but I still have the same problem. i was hoping I'd find a peice of dust or something when I dissassembled the phone, but unfortunatly no luck on that and the "pearl" feels better, but it still needs a good push, much hard than my other two required to get it to select...

Last edited by N1BPD; 09-03-2007 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: grammar.. doh
Old 09-03-2007, 02:01 AM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I would call and get it replaced yet again. Something isn't right with it.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:18 AM   #8
N1BPD

That was my thought too. 2 replacements and I still dont have a fully functional Pearl.... Going to call them and ask for a replacement.

Might even ask if I can get a different BB instead of a Pearl. They were out of replacement Pearls for a short while so I had to wait a week to get this, which doesnt seem surprirising to me considering I've had 3 bad ones in just 8 months.
Closed Thread