Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #1
starbucksgirl65

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Help with setting up phone to sync with calendar

Please Login to Remove!

Hi. New to this all. I did try the FAQ page but didn't find anything to help so sorry if this has been asked and answered already.

I installed my desktop software and went to sync. I clicked on what I thought was correct, but think I must have goofed somewhere as now nothing happens when I click on any of the icons in the desktop organizer. My phone shows that it is conncected to the manager but I can't go anywhere. Is there anybody who can help me undo this and help me to do this correctly?
I am using google calendar which I've been told is compatible.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:24 PM   #2
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: at&t

Have you tried searching for "Google Calendar"? I don't use it but I believe it's not supported by Desktop Manager.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
starbucksgirl65

PIN: N/A

Thanks. Yes, I did and read a few places that it is with something called Google sync?
Old 06-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbucksgirl65 View Post
Thanks. Yes, I did and read a few places that it is with something called Google sync?
no. google sync is a blackberry specific "suite management" software. it only balances your device with google to see what google software you already have installed an determines if newer versions are available. it also gives you "one stop shopping" for downloading and and all other google applications you may be interested in specific to your device.

but other than that, it doesnt actually sync with your blackberry calendar. google calendar allows you to save your appointments online so you can view them anywhere online. it's akin to putting your calendar on a webpage and being able to use any computer you want to surf to that page and view the calendar you saved.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
gibber9583
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakie View Post
no. google sync is a blackberry specific "suite management" software. it only balances your device with google to see what google software you already have installed an determines if newer versions are available. it also gives you "one stop shopping" for downloading and and all other google applications you may be interested in specific to your device.

but other than that, it doesnt actually sync with your blackberry calendar. google calendar allows you to save your appointments online so you can view them anywhere online. it's akin to putting your calendar on a webpage and being able to use any computer you want to surf to that page and view the calendar you saved.
What? This is totally false. there is a google application that will 2 way sync your google calendar with your blackberry's calendar. I found previous versions unreliable, but it may be fixed now. Its not a 1 stop shop either, you can set it to continuously poll your blackbberry and gcal for any changes and apply them where needed.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #6
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibber9583 View Post
What? This is totally false. there is a google application that will 2 way sync your google calendar with your blackberry's calendar. I found previous versions unreliable, but it may be fixed now. Its not a 1 stop shop either, you can set it to continuously poll your blackbberry and gcal for any changes and apply them where needed.
interesting.

i just looked at the "new to me" stuff. thanks for the correction.