BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 01-17-2007, 06:24 PM   #341
noobie

Model: 8100
Carrier: 02

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all!

Hoping for some advice here. I have followed steps 1-3. Setup my APN with my service provider and checked the settings on my BB. Everything seems in order, yet everytime I try to log in to eMSN I get a connection write error. can't think of what else to try. I would prefer not to go the jabber route. I have gtalk installed but would prefer to keep the IM accounts separate is possible.
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:59 PM   #342
viabledish

Model: 7100r

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskin
I have been reading up on connecting a Blackberry to a network without having to use MDS/BES. I am a little confused on a few things. One, how can i get around a constant message that I have been receiving on my device saying, "Data Connection Refused". If to use these services to I have to subscribe to a blackberry specific data plan? I am currently trying to get the Blackberry working on the Fido Wireless Netwrok in Canada. Has anyone had any success in this? The second is, if I am subcribing to a third party MDS/BES service, does the blackberry have to again be subscribed to a blackberry specific blackberry plan. If someone who is familure in these areas, please can you get back to me.

Cheers,

alaskin
Have you had any luck with this? I am trying to do same thing.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #343
bananasplit
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Bold
Carrier: O2 UK

HI everyone, I also have the same issue as Alaskin. I'm on O2 here in London, but on a business tariff my company has with the carrier, so we get very good rates on calls. I just got my BlackBerry 8700g last week and still trying to explore on how to use it, as I've been a Pocket PC user for how many years. I keep getting "Data connection refused" on my screen.

Now my company has a dedicated O2 helpdesk that we ring for queries and all, and I was told that for corporate tariffs, they "can't" configure a BB, though if I switched to a consumer tariff (like a high street one), I can get a data plan (via GPRS). Thinking this way, it's just a matter of configuring the device on how to get emails (which is all I want anyway) in real time, I guess using GPRS (which they say can be configured on my Xda Exec, but not on a BB). I really don't buy it.

Hope someone can enlighten me on this. Finally, if I REALLY can't have my emails sent to my BB, how can I remove that "Data connection refused" text on my screen?

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:30 PM   #344
ashishc

Model: 8700c

I have a blackberry 8700 and I am using the Fido sim, I have unlimited data plan with Fido. I know it does not support blackberry but is there any way I can get internet and email working on my blackberry with Fido, what about any 3rd party software??
Old 01-28-2007, 04:33 PM   #345
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Welcome to the forums,
You are correct. Fido doesn't support blackberry. And with no Blackberry Data Plan, No data. However, that being said, some have said they've had some success using Opera Mini with those types of data plans. I've not tried it myself but you might give it a shot. Do a search of the forums for Opera Mini and I'm sure you'll find much info.
Even with this setup, though, you won't be able to use the native BB browser or get push email.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:29 AM   #346
MyPearl
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Welcome to the forums,
You are correct. Fido doesn't support blackberry. And with no Blackberry Data Plan, No data. However, that being said, some have said they've had some success using Opera Mini with those types of data plans. I've not tried it myself but you might give it a shot. Do a search of the forums for Opera Mini and I'm sure you'll find much info.
Even with this setup, though, you won't be able to use the native BB browser or get push email.

Hi John, I read thru this entire thread. lots of info. I have my Mini Opera installed on my pearl 8100 and working. I am with AT&T.

My question is what other applications would you recommend that can work on this TCP conneciton? I am interested in Yahoo and MSN and other cool apps.

thanks.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:45 AM   #347
ltaylo10

Model: 7105t
Question Browser

I just received my blackberry 7105t. I don't have a browser of any kind that I can see. Do you have to have a data plan before you can see a browser. This may be a dumb question but I am use to using HP Pocket PC where internet is free.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #348
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltaylo10
I just received my blackberry 7105t. I don't have a browser of any kind that I can see. Do you have to have a data plan before you can see a browser. This may be a dumb question but I am use to using HP Pocket PC where internet is free.
it is probably because you do not have any service books which come with the BB data plans... BES etc...

i am in the same situation so i am using the WAP/TCP side to get internet and IM. Mini Opera does the trick for browsing, then IM+ or Ramble IM or mig33 for IM'ing and Gmaps and Gmail for maps/directions and mail.

heop this helps...

ps you still have to pay for the TCP data

mine with the old at&t is 24.99 unlimited or less if limited MB
Old 02-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #349
allanito

Model: pearl
Carrier: Rogers
Unhappy Yahoo module doesn't work: Pls. help, want it so bad.

Hi

New in this forum. I do have pear under rogers canada and I do have 2 fon number with the couples account. My problem is the number assigned to pearl is not supported by yahoo when I try to add my device to be able to receive msgs thru my fon. The other number doesn't have a problem, yahoo simply sends confirmation codes thru txt msg and I'm good to go. I have tried a couple of sim card switching but still doesn't work. I don't want to use the other fon number to use my pearl so I tried downloading in both sim pack yahoo module from blackberry.com/go/yahoo but both sim card gives error msg "Please visit www dot blackberry dot com/go/yahoo to activate your handheld for yahoo! messenger."

I didn't subscribe for data plan coz I don't use Inet often by my fon.

Opera works but has a few drops, I don't mind.
Verichat works perfect. but I don't want to use it though. to cheezy for me. I simply like yahoo! so what I'm trying to do is to bypass BES or BIS whatever. I don't even know what I'm doing now.

I tried encoding: internet.com and blackberry.net in APN. didn't work.

Anybody?
Old 02-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #350
MyPearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanito
Hi

New in this forum. I do have pear under rogers canada and I do have 2 fon number with the couples account. My problem is the number assigned to pearl is not supported by yahoo when I try to add my device to be able to receive msgs thru my fon. The other number doesn't have a problem, yahoo simply sends confirmation codes thru txt msg and I'm good to go. I have tried a couple of sim card switching but still doesn't work. I don't want to use the other fon number to use my pearl so I tried downloading in both sim pack yahoo module from blackberry.com/go/yahoo but both sim card gives error msg "Please visit www dot blackberry dot com/go/yahoo to activate your handheld for yahoo! messenger."

I didn't subscribe for data plan coz I don't use Inet often by my fon.

Opera works but has a few drops, I don't mind.
Verichat works perfect. but I don't want to use it though. to cheezy for me. I simply like yahoo! so what I'm trying to do is to bypass BES or BIS whatever. I don't even know what I'm doing now.

I tried encoding: internet.com and blackberry.net in APN. didn't work.

Anybody?
NOt sure how to fix this but you can try IM+ (not free) for Yahoo messaging or MIG33 (free but not as reliable)
Old 02-05-2007, 10:57 AM   #351
allanito

Okay, I tried to follow the steps which was the first post on this thread but particularly for cingular U.S. user. I did all the process but with the rogers BIS account. I had yahoo trying to sign in but only until sign in no action after. I have the yahoo service book already which is BBFS2[YHO] but if you look into it this is what it say:

Record Type: Active
Name:BBFS2
UID:NAYH01
CID:YHO

USER ID:-1
DSID:

Gateway IP: <No Gateway>
Description: Yahoo! Messenger

maybe there's something wrong with it or may I need to call Rogers and have them load my APN, I'm not sure.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #352
allanito

Sorry, This is where I took the process:
www dot blackberryforums.com/blackberry-network/49131-using-rims-yahoo-messenger-client-cingular-wireless-blackberry-handsets dot html

but not from this thread
Old 02-05-2007, 01:23 PM   #353
ohad_129

Model: 9800
PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il
Default help

i get the 7105t and i think it was before part of acompany becouse when i want to configure the browser he said there default browser configuration what im doing now?
second after i upgrade to 4.1 os the button of the tm didnt work how could i restore it back
thenk you
eli
Old 02-10-2007, 11:52 AM   #354
guney

Model: 7290
Default Can I use email if GSM carrier in my country do not offer backberry service?

Hello! I am located in a country were GSM operator only offer GPRS internet connection [TCPIP], but they do not have blackberry service... Is there any chance I can us normal type email client POP3... [no need to have push email..]? Which software I can install on my device? I have BB 2790. Previously Vodafone but unlocked...

Any help/advise would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 AM   #355
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

guney,
Sorry, but no BB data plan...No BB data.

Some people have reported success with Opera Mini getting data from TCPIP internet but not all. You'll need APN settings for your carrier. It's really just a big "maybe."

Without a Blackberry Data Plan you can't get data on a Blackberry.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:34 PM   #356
donavue

Unhappy bb

hey there can any one tell me what is bes
Old 02-12-2007, 03:45 PM   #357
cdp1276
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: 20248CF7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donavue
hey there can any one tell me what is bes
Blackberry Enterprise Server, it is what is used by corporate environments to handle exchange email and other stuff.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:23 AM   #358
a.shehada

Model: 8700g
Default Internet Gateway

Can I use the blackberry as an internet gateway to connect to the internet from the laptop?

(Not as a modem)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:38 AM   #359
dgardyn

Model: 8100
Default 407 Proxy authentication needed

Hello, i have a BB Pearl with BES and Enterprise Exchange in Vodafone Spain ( i work in Vodafone).
How can i configure JiveTalk with proxy conecction???

Thank you in advance...
Old 03-26-2007, 03:35 PM   #360
markretallack

Carrier: Orange
Default Clarification on This thread,

Hi all. I think this thread has confused me a bit so I though I would post some questions about what I am seeing in the hope that I/others can get a clear view of that it is about. I have done lots of searching and cannot find any answers that explain why.

I have a Blackberry 7290 on Orange UK, on a pay-as-you-go system (yes, i know....).

It used to be with O2 UK on contract with the full Blackberry data plan etc... And I used the procedure detailed at the start of the thread to setup the APN to allow MidpSSH to work.

Now after moving to Orange UK on pay-as-you-go, I want to know what is and is not possible.

The pay-as-you-go scheme does allow full GPRS connection, with most ports open. I have been able to use my blackberry as a modem connected to my windows PC to check my email etc.. So therefor what does a Data plan provide? On O2, I just though that it meant the back-end server that pushed email to the phone. Is it more than this? Do I need a service book? I read that doing this procedure would mean that I dont need a service book (ippp).

If my laptop can use the Blackberry to connect to the internet, why cannot the Blackberry connect its-self directly if i specify the APN?

Thanks in advance

Mark.