Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #1
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business
Default Bold white screen of death?

Please Login to Remove!

My trusty Bold went blank. Two days ago i answered a call and put it back in the case, took it out some 30 minutes later to send a mail and the screen was all white.

Battery pull, wipe, reinstall 4.6, reinstall 5, backup restore, clean install, battery left out for 24 hours, new battery, incense burnt in a small Mike Lazaridis shrine i made up just for the occasion, ALL tried.

The phone hasn't been anywhere close to water and the moisture stickers are intact, I thought the screen wire might have gone loose. Carefully unscrewed the 6 T5 screws, removed the screen wire and put it back using a plastic tool. No go.

The funny thing is other than the screen the phone is fully operational. Dm sees it perfectly ( i even tethered it successfully), i can blind-call out and receive calls no problems. It turns the white screen off when holstered, wakes when removed from holster and dims when charged. All expected behaviour. Only problem is i can only see a bright white screen :(

My 1.26h google search revealed a lot of results about the Bold and the so called "white screen of death". Sadly i was unable to find a working solution.

Any insight from the BBF gurus?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Tried with sim and media card in, sim and card out, sim in card out, sim out card in. I don't like religion but i think praying might be just about what i haven't tried yet, please don't make me go there..
Old 11-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #3
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Wow! I don't know anything about the Bold, but I'd say you've been thorough. Doubt praying will help. Is it under warranty?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

It would have been a rather poor choice to unscrew electronics under warranty, so you can guess the answer to this.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
tamazoid
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I may had had a similar problem... Here's the thread that I've created.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...defective.html
Old 11-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8820)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist
It would have been a rather poor choice to unscrew electronics under warranty, so you can guess the answer to this.
Yes, but you never know on the forum. One has to ask.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

I'm not alone it seems. The google search continues to turn up some gazillion results with the same issue. I suspect hardware failure. There are references for the pearl, the old curve the new curve, the bold and the storm.

I am exactly in this situation if it helps any: My BlackBerry Bold White Screen of Death! xxx8211; Brenda Cares Corner (no, it's not my blog nor do i know them)

A quick survey i conducted btw with a small pool of co-workers surfaced another 5 Bolds that experienced the exact same failure and were replaced under warranty. So it IS a common issue. Thanks RIM.

Last edited by the-economist; 11-13-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Old 11-14-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
JaiChem

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 3

Wirelessly posted

Do you think they will extend the warrenty for a common fault.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
miamirulz29
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

What program did you use to wipe the blackberry when you did a clean install? Also, go to the thread tamazoid linked, there are several fixes there.
Um... no.
I didn't think so.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 PM   #10
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Oh i've been to the thread alright. I think i've been to every thread by now. I've tried SD cards, no sdcards, sims, no sims, old batteries, new batteries, official and leaked OS's, leaving the batt out for 2 days.

What i havent done and is still suggested in the thread is an insurance claim with ATT and paying them the 125 bucks. Somehow i don't believe it would work since i'm not with them. I might try though.

Jokes aside there are literally tons of posts online of people getting the white screen out of thin air. It doesn't seem to be related to a specific os build either which points with big fat neon lights towards a hardware failure. Some connection/component seems not to sit properly since there are reports of people that managed to improve on the condition by fidgeting with their board and/or applying varying magnitudes of pressure on the whole chassis.

Personally i like berries so i'm not gonna ***** much, but i find the fact that there are references for the SAME failure across ALL RIM product lines unacceptable.

Hopefully when some 20-50-100k orgs get tired enough of the shiny flashlights and start pulling the Blackberry contracts RIM would take notice and improve on the quality control.

As for me, yeah you guessed it, i ordered a new bold retail and updated the insurance details that had lapsed. Order in my universe restored.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:57 AM   #11
miguel_john1975

Model: 8100
Carrier: smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
My trusty Bold went blank. Two days ago i answered a call and put it back in the case, took it out some 30 minutes later to send a mail and the screen was all white.

Battery pull, wipe, reinstall 4.6, reinstall 5, backup restore, clean install, battery left out for 24 hours, new battery, incense burnt in a small Mike Lazaridis shrine i made up just for the occasion, ALL tried.

The phone hasn't been anywhere close to water and the moisture stickers are intact, I thought the screen wire might have gone loose. Carefully unscrewed the 6 T5 screws, removed the screen wire and put it back using a plastic tool. No go.

The funny thing is other than the screen the phone is fully operational. Dm sees it perfectly ( i even tethered it successfully), i can blind-call out and receive calls no problems. It turns the white screen off when holstered, wakes when removed from holster and dims when charged. All expected behaviour. Only problem is i can only see a bright white screen :(

My 1.26h google search revealed a lot of results about the Bold and the so called "white screen of death". Sadly i was unable to find a working solution.

Any insight from the BBF gurus?
try to replaced your LCD?
if still thesame its BOARD PROBLEM
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #12
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

When there are so many reports online for the very same issue/failure I'm afraid it's RIM'S QUALITY CONTROL PROBLEM
(to follow your emphasis)

Don't get me wrong I like berries probably more than the next man but when I survey a team of 30 ppl and amongst them they got 6 failed handsets with the same issue in less than a year's period something's wrong.

Orange in the UK pulled Bolds away completely
when so many went faulty. Mike Lazaridis the co-ceo of RIM when confronted in an interview with how crap the first Storm was replied, and I quote, "We are aware of the issues, IT COULD HAVE BEEN BETTER"

So WE know it's crap, THEY know it's crap, isn't about time RIM starts sourcing some quality components and train those Mexicans and those Hungarians on the assembly lines in some quality control?

It's 2010 and businessmen are maintaining long nails so they can do battery pulls for the love of god! How hard could it be to put a hardware switch in place that does the job ffs?
Old 12-07-2009, 02:56 PM   #13
Xion901
No longer Registered.

Model: XXXXi
Carrier: A Good One

totally agree, but with the white scrren of death, theres no point in all the wipe and re-installing stuff, just get a new LCD.
Old 12-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #14
Beef
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Bell (HSPA+)

On mine, I observed it twice today, but I noticed it slowly fades to white, almost like an animation. Anyone else observed this?
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Mine went straight to white. Some people at work had a flickering grey screen on their Bolds before it eventually went white.
I'm not sure if that's what you're describing as "animation".
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
Beef
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Bell (HSPA+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-economist View Post
Wirelessly posted

Mine went straight to white. Some people at work had a flickering grey screen on their Bolds before it eventually went white.
I'm not sure if that's what you're describing as "animation".
No, it was a nice smooth fade-to-white. No flickering, no chop. It actually looks "professional" like it's intended...
Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #17
x14

Model: 9800

Today, mine faded to white then came back after a couple of minutes.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:09 AM   #18
JW021979
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2 UK

I have had this happen to me before. Phone crashed, did a battery pull and it just came up with a white screen. Left it for a couple of hours and it started working again.
It did the same yesterday but now it appears to be stuck with a white screen. Gonna have to get it looked at under warrenty.
Old 12-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #19
EOTB

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vip Vodafone
Default sms reboot

Hello to you all!
I'm new here and I've encountered the same problem on my brand new Bold 9000, albeit in a slightly different form. Whenever I try to send an SMS, the device reboots with this white screen and an irritating clock. What I find unacceptable is that the device which cost this much is not tested for super-simple task of sending a message. I'll get a new one, but the fact that I have to go to the store and explain something to someone and show that it doesn't work is making me sick, with this kind of money spent. Sorry for the rant, I had to vent my spleen somewhere.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
x14

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOTB View Post
Hello to you all!
I'm new here and I've encountered the same problem on my brand new Bold 9000, albeit in a slightly different form. Whenever I try to send an SMS, the device reboots with this white screen and an irritating clock. What I find unacceptable is that the device which cost this much is not tested for super-simple task of sending a message. I'll get a new one, but the fact that I have to go to the store and explain something to someone and show that it doesn't work is making me sick, with this kind of money spent. Sorry for the rant, I had to vent my spleen somewhere.
This is a different issue. You might just need to re-install the OS. If you have third party software, that also may be causing your issue.
Closed Thread