BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #1
egotrip21

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES: Cant change users email address?

Please Login to Remove!

Have a user who just now decided to tell me his name is misspelled. I make the changes in AD to update his account, I set the SMTP primary as the correct name, leaving the incorrect as valid still so as not to break anything.

The problem is that I go back into the users information 20 minutes later and the old and incorrect name has been re-stamped as primary. I believe the BES is doing this because its the only system that never changes over to the new correct name, and I cant seem to find anyway of updating the e-mail address within the users BES properties.

Anyone have any idea how I can do this?

Using Version 4.1.4.15
Old 09-06-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Ahmad Abbadi
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: Etisalat

Wirelessly posted

Try run handheldcleanup tool on the BES.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #3
egotrip21

I tried running handheldcleanup -u which didnt make a difference.

I then i tried deleting the old/bad email alias and stamping the good alias as primary.

5 minutes later the old/bad smtp alias was BACK and stamped as primary again.

Really frustrating =(
Old 09-07-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
egotrip21

FIXED

Turned out it wasnt a BES problem after all. I'm still not quite sure why this happened, but when I unchecked the box that says "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy", the correct SMTP address stayed primary.

I than ran handheldcleanup and the correct SMTP address showed up. Now I am going to try and figure out why the changes I was making were running afoul of the Default policy? From a glance it looks like the policy should have anything to complain about =/

Thanks for your help!
Old 09-08-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
cde3879
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: 255432B2
Carrier: Orange UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by egotrip21 View Post
FIXED

Turned out it wasnt a BES problem after all. I'm still not quite sure why this happened, but when I unchecked the box that says "Automatically update e-mail addresses based on recipient policy", the correct SMTP address stayed primary.

I than ran handheldcleanup and the correct SMTP address showed up. Now I am going to try and figure out why the changes I was making were running afoul of the Default policy? From a glance it looks like the policy should have anything to complain about =/

Thanks for your help!
My guess is that you only updated the user's display name rather than their whole first name / last name fields as well. If you change the display name in AD but forget to change the first name / last name separately, the recipient policy will look at the addresses and stick the wrong firstname.lastname@ (or however you've set it up to format email addresses by default) as the primary once it polls the AD again.
Closed Thread