Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Reverted Back To OEM Trackball

Please Login to Remove!

After a 2 month experiment with a replacement Yellow trackball from CNN's website I decided to change back to the OEM black trackball and it feels great.... The performance is so much better with the OEM trackball... Smooth, sensitive rolling in all directions.

The OEM trackball appears to be a different material/substance then the replacement trackballs you find on CNN's website... It's rubber and it's less sensitive to sweat on your fingers as opposed to the replacement trackballs that are plastic to the touch & feel....

Does anyone know if we can find similar rubber trackballs in varying colors to order anywhere? Originally I just assumed the colored trackballs were going to be identical to the OEM one just a different color, but they are more plastic like, and subsequently less sensitive and reliable IMHO...

Let this be a heads up to anyone thinking about customizing their 8900 that the other trackballs are not going to perform as well or feel the same as the OEM one....
Old 08-10-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
scuzzy19
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I've always assumed that the color trackballs were not OEM quality and your standard fair of trackballs. the Atomic trackball is by far one of the best yet too bad you wont be seeing it to much seeing as the move to optical trackpads is in motion :/
Old 08-11-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
syclone1978

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I too agree that the quality of the CNN trackballs are crap. I purchased 2 at once a blue and red one. The worked smothly with a litle bit slower traction however the red one wouldn't even rotate in or out of the Blackberry! Waste of money! I did purchase the Atomic black trackball and it does work fantastic, I enjoy the feel as well as the function! I have a Bold and love it but am curious as to the new Trackpad that is coming out and will only attempt it if the "replacement" for the bold that's coming out with the trackpad is comparible to the Bold in all its functions because the Bold is my best Blackberry ever!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 PM   #4
scuzzy19

Quote:
Originally Posted by syclone1978 View Post
I too agree that the quality of the CNN trackballs are crap. I purchased 2 at once a blue and red one. The worked smothly with a litle bit slower traction however the red one wouldn't even rotate in or out of the Blackberry! Waste of money! I did purchase the Atomic black trackball and it does work fantastic, I enjoy the feel as well as the function! I have a Bold and love it but am curious as to the new Trackpad that is coming out and will only attempt it if the "replacement" for the bold that's coming out with the trackpad is comparible to the Bold in all its functions because the Bold is my best Blackberry ever!
I had a chance to play with new low end curve(8520) that came out on tmobile with the optical trackpad and its pretty responsive and works just as well as the trackball. its gonna be hard to get past the trackball feel over the pad but it works really well.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
stl_lacrosse
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you.
Carrier: At&T

I would assume all of the colored OEM trackballs are the same regardless of seller. There can't be too many factories that make those.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
lovescakemix
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9900
PIN: 2800d27f
Carrier: tmobile

well the cnn colored balls are the same type that came with the 8300 series. those have problems on there own and wont compare to the atomic trackball. thats why rim made the switch. i have a g1 ball on my 8900, still not close to being better than to oem, but alot better than the 83 series balls
Old 08-12-2009, 04:23 PM   #7
wolfgaze
Thumbs Must Hurt

So at this point it's safe to assume that the Atomic Trackball only comes in 1 color (black) ?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #8
evilp8ntballer7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

also maybe GSM4World.com might have a different supplier?