BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 AM   #1
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ?
Default GMAIL: should I forward or POP.

Please Login to Remove!

I purchased my 7100 yesterday and I wanted to know what works best. As of now when I registered for my email on blackberry, I added the additional gmail account. Is this the correct way to do it?

Also there is an enterprise activation application, what should i do with that.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Pop it so it goes through spam filters

if you dont have BES then just hide the icon by pressing the trackwheel at the same time.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #3
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

sorry i missed that. how do i get rid of the enterprise. And how long should it take for my gmail emails to pop.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:31 AM   #4
Dawg
No longer Registered.

if you dont have BES then just hide the icon by pressing the trackwheel and the alt key at the same time will let you hide the icon same as the regular mail
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #5
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
Pop it so it goes through spam filters

if you dont have BES then just hide the icon by pressing the trackwheel at the same time.
I use foward so I get instant e-mails no need to wait for the 15 minute pop delay. YOU CAN EASILY set-up the google filters to allow ONLY inbox mail to go to your blackberry and keep spam on your google account only. To set this up use the following filter parameters. Ignor any warnings about it being invalid, it WILL work!
---
Matches: in:inbox
Do this: Forward to [email address]
---
where xxx = your blackberry account userid
where yyy = tmo/vzw etc

I keep my gmail settings such that it forwards AND keeps a copy on my gmail account. The set-up works great and is better than POP IMHO. Enjoy yourselves *****es!
Old 06-21-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
dkmadrid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
I use foward so I get instant e-mails no need to wait for the 15 minute pop delay. YOU CAN EASILY set-up the google filters to allow ONLY inbox mail to go to your blackberry and keep spam on your google account only. To set this up use the following filter parameters. Ignor any warnings about it being invalid, it WILL work!
---
Matches: in:inbox
Do this: Forward to [email address]
---
where xxx = your blackberry account userid
where yyy = tmo/vzw etc

I keep my gmail settings such that it forwards AND keeps a copy on my gmail account. The set-up works great and is better than POP IMHO. Enjoy yourselves *****es!

I agree, I forward, as well.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:55 PM   #7
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well, what is the difference between forwarding and popping. If it is forwarded will my reply be the blackberry address.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:00 PM   #8
colonel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: w950i
Carrier: vodafone
Arrow

no, if you fwd it, replies will come from the email box you fwded it to. (unless you scam the reply - i.e. substitute another email address in the reply mask).

I would definitely do it properly via the bb online software, using pop. you get the best control there.

fwd: real email -------> bb email <-------> bb

pop: real email <------> bb email <-------> bb

rgds
Old 06-21-2005, 10:14 PM   #9
Dawg
No longer Registered.

I never wait 15 minutes on my 7520 I send a email its there almost instant on BWC. Depending on which ISP it comes from of course hotmail takes days sometimes. Comcast is pretty instant earthlink is around five minutes.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:19 AM   #10
WNO

Model: 8100
Carrier: TMO

Dawg, I'm with you on Hotmail sometimes taking a long time to arrive, but I don't understand why the arrival time of your other mail should depend on the ISP. Does your BWC poll for Comcast and Earthlink, or is your mail from one or the other forwarded from the server to your BWC/BB?
Old 06-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #11
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyj5
Well, what is the difference between forwarding and popping. If it is forwarded will my reply be the blackberry address.
Nope not if you don't want it to. There is an option on the BWC/BIS that allows you to set the sent from address when you reply from your blackberry. For example you have a gmail account and want your email from [email address] to go to your blackberry. So you set up conditional forwarding of your inbox only via the filters I described earlier. So every mail addressed to [email address] is INSTANTLY pushed to your blackberry. Now you have also set-up your BWC/BIS so that your sent from address on your blackberry sent mail is [email address]. Now any email you send or reply to from your blackberry will have a "from: [email address]" line. This is different from a reply-to change as the message really appears to be orginating from gmail. I say appears because if you fully expose the headers you can decipher the true senting address of [email address]. However, for all intents and purposes it truly looks as if you are sending email from your blackberry with a gmail address; or whatever other address you want for that matter. IMHO you are not using your blackberry to its fullest potential unless you are using INSTANT forward. I tried pop for a while and it SUCKS! There is always a delay whether it is 1 minute or upto 15minutes depends on the polling cyle you catch your account in, but there is always a delay and that stinks. Try instant forward and you will never touch pop again. West side beyaches!
Old 06-22-2005, 11:47 AM   #12
Dawg
No longer Registered.

No nothing is forwarded to me I dont know why the isps are different my work email is a earthlink account and it takes a while for it to arrive.

Comcast my home isp, my wife can send me an email and boom its there. All polled through BWC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNO
Dawg, I'm with you on Hotmail sometimes taking a long time to arrive, but I don't understand why the arrival time of your other mail should depend on the ISP. Does your BWC poll for Comcast and Earthlink, or is your mail from one or the other forwarded from the server to your BWC/BB?
Old 06-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #13
jwaters

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Far from scientific, but I ran a few tests and this is what I found for me.

Nextel, 7520, BWC

I sent an email to my PoP3 account immediately after receiving mail on my BB. I don't use forwarding. Within 2-3 minutes I got the email I just sent on the BB. I did this several times, waiting until I got delivery and then sending. The most I waited was around 4 minutes, usually it was just a minute or so. I also ran a test by sending an email to both my BB address and a separate one to my PoP3 account. Both came at the same time, in less than a minute every time.

Based on this, it appears as though email comes within a couple minutes and not just every 15 minutes. Also, it seems as though mail sent directly to the BB is almost immediate, and if it's delivering BB email it delivers everything that is there also.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

deezmfnutz, if i still dont quite understnad the difference between forwarding and pop. If a pop, and an email is sent to gmail and I reply on my BB then it will "reply" from the gmail account. But if i forward the mail, i have to change the settings so it appears as though i have sent from my gmail account. Can you please clarify these issues regarding forwarding and pop, i am still unclear of the real difference.
Thanks
Old 06-23-2005, 12:34 AM   #15
animlmed
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130e
Carrier: none

I wish Yahoo would keep messages on the server when it was forwarded. I pay 20 bucks for the yearly service and they still find a way to screw me over.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:29 AM   #16
WNO

Model: 8100

jwaters, thanks for the empirical testing. I think the BWC may well poll more than 4x/hr, but they advertise the 15 min figure so there is no guarantee that the mail would be checked/delivered more frequently. Something else I've heard is that the BWC polls more frequently after you have received a message. That makes sense, since it stands to reason that you may be exchanging follow-up e-mails after receiving the initial one. The BWC then reverts back to the 15 min (or however long) schedule after it appears there won't be a flurry of mail. If this is correct, it's possible that your testing was done with the BWC in the more-frequent-checking mode.

Still, like you and Dawg, it's been my experience that BWC mail arrives more promptly than you would expect with q 15 min polling.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 AM   #17
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyj5
deezmfnutz, if i still dont quite understnad the difference between forwarding and pop. If a pop, and an email is sent to gmail and I reply on my BB then it will "reply" from the gmail account. But if i forward the mail, i have to change the settings so it appears as though i have sent from my gmail account. Can you please clarify these issues regarding forwarding and pop, i am still unclear of the real difference.
Thanks
Forward - gmail forwards the message when recieved.

Pop3 - BWC checks gmail at certain intervals to see if you have a message.

If you reply to a gmail forwarded or pop3 (both same) with your BB the from address will not be gmail unless you go into options in the BWC (or email setup on the BB) and set it to reply as if it came from gmail, even if it doesn't.

That's how it works for me. BTW I use forwarding of gmail.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:42 AM   #18
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many
Carrier: Sprint

If you have your Email redirected to your BB by forwarding it you must forward back to reply to the person. If you hit "reply" you will reply to yourself since it was forwarded from your account to your device.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:50 AM   #19
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestcomm
If you have your Email redirected to your BB by forwarding it you must forward back to reply to the person. If you hit "reply" you will reply to yourself since it was forwarded from your account to your device.

WRONG, not with gmail. Gmail pushes an exact copy of your email. You just press reply and it goes to the correct person. Other mailing systems such as groupwise, for instance, behave as you have described; but NOT gmail.

Gmail is really awesome. I also pay for a yahoo+ account and am pissed that they do not offer the level of control that gmail does. The ONLY feature that is missing is reconciliation between gmail and the BIS. I also have gmail setup with about 12 filters and I forward all of my mail to my gmail account and they are filtered according to where they arrive from. I also set-up a blackberry sent filter so that email sent from my blackberry is saved on my gmail account. The key here is to add the additional modifier to your sent blackberry mail filter of "skip inbox" that way you don't get a copy of your reply sent back to your blackberry device. Anyway, if you use gmail filters as I have described you will really enjoy your blackberry to its maximal capability with the BIS server. Obviously the BES offers even greater features but that costs mucho $$$.

Gmail in free and offers 2 gigs of storage and the interface really kills yahoo mail. Anyway, if I were you guys I would give it a try the feature of forward and keeping a copy on gmail is just a life saver. Without it I would not be able to use my blackberry effectivly because of the small BIS mailboxes.

Last edited by deezmfnutz; 06-23-2005 at 10:55 AM..
Old 06-23-2005, 12:19 PM   #20
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

deezmfnutz. thanks for all of the explanation. do you think you could map out a clear set of points or steps for forwarding gmail so it works perfectly. I am interested in replicatiing your set p if you say it works so well for you.

THANKS!!
Closed Thread