makedonce
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24AE6BA3
Carrier: T-mobile MK
Lightbulb Gmail mobile app as BIS replacement

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
I don't know if anyone else discovered this, so I thought I should share it with you.

In the last couple of weeks, Gmail has added the option to add up to 5 more e-mail accounts that have POP access.(go to setings and you will see the option add account) In addition to this, Gmail also allows you to set up multiple identities that you can send from. At this time, only two options are awailable:
1. Reply using the e-mail adress that the message was sent to
2. Reply from the defauly e-mail adress (which can be any e-mail address that has pop/smtp acess).

The good thing is, these settings carry out into the gmail mobile app, so now I really have no need for BB Data package.

I forward my official work mail to gmail, and I've registered my official work identitity as the default e-mail adress for responding to messages. Now, everytime new e-mail hits out exchange ( which has no OWA nor POP/IMAP options due to firewall and span issue (?)), it is forwarded to my gmail, and from my gmail accoung using the gmail mobile app I can reply with my official work e-mail beeing displayed.
Basically, the gmail mobile app now has the same functionality as my multiple pop MS outlook
Old 01-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #2
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

That is a nice find, for me though, ill still be going with my full push email and the security of the BIS/BES.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #3
makedonce

Default Bis

I'd love to have real BB push, however, none of the providers here, including, t-mobile don't offer BB service.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:53 PM   #4
mikejw
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
The good thing is, these settings carry out into the gmail mobile app, so now I really have no need for BB Data package.
Thanks for sharing this information, but may I ask what is the minimum data plan you need to even use the Gmail app on the Blackberry? I have the $19.99 BIS plan and I'm looking to dump it because I find myself using the Gmail app more than the regular email viewer. Thanks

Last edited by mikejw; 01-26-2008 at 05:56 PM..
Old 01-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
makedonce

Using the Mini Moni as a reference.. i racked up 14 MB between December 28th and today. I use Jive talk about 4-5 hrs per day for active communication and about 30-50 e-mails per day. I barely use the BB for browsing..
Here in Macedonia T-mobile offers the W'N'W package $4 for 10MB. Once those 10 MB run out you are charged another $4 for additional 10MB... quite cheap is you ask me.
Hope this answers your questions
Old 01-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

So for a 14 mb month, you would still pay less than $10? eh, not so bad. For 35 mb you would pay $16?
(yes I know, i AM a math scholar )

Are those USD$?
Old 01-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #7
makedonce

Default $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
So for a 14 mb month, you would still pay less than $10? eh, not so bad. For 35 mb you would pay $16?
(yes I know, i AM a math scholar )

Are those USD$?
Yes, the prices are in USD $...
Since they introduced W'N'W the prices went really down.. prior to this it was about 75 cents per MB.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Redflea
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

Just a note - some people will find that their company would not be happy to find out all their work email was being forwarded to a gmail account...it's specifically verboten to do that at my company.

Other than that, nice find.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #9
mikejw

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by makedonce View Post
Hope this answers your questions
Thanks for the reply, but I'm wondering what plan on T-Mobile USA do I need to use the Gmail app. Can I use the $5.99/mo data plan and still use the Gmail app or the $9.99/mo Blackberry email only plan. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 PM   #10
makedonce

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejw View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I'm wondering what plan on T-Mobile USA do I need to use the Gmail app. Can I use the $5.99/mo data plan and still use the Gmail app or the $9.99/mo Blackberry email only plan. Thanks in advance!
U can use the $5.99 plan. I use their Web N Walk package....
Cheers
Old 01-30-2008, 03:13 PM   #11
PeaceOut

Model: 8310

I'm currently using the BIS plan from ATT for 29.99/month.

I have a couple personal email (yahoo and gmail) accounts linked as well as business email through OWA.

Your telling me that I can get a simple data plan and use gmail apps to retrieve all my emails? Do i have to create another gmail account for my business email or since it's forwarding emails to the gmail...put it all on one gmail account? This'll save me a good $20 per month (actually $40 since I have two lines).

Does Yahoo have an app like this? Yahoo seems to sync perfectly (delete|read|mark new msg on BB...msg deleted|read|mark new on account and vise-versa). But gmail doesn't seem to want to sync read|unread.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
makedonce

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOut View Post
I'm currently using the BIS plan from ATT for 29.99/month.

I have a couple personal email (yahoo and gmail) accounts linked as well as business email through OWA.

Your telling me that I can get a simple data plan and use gmail apps to retrieve all my emails? Do i have to create another gmail account for my business email or since it's forwarding emails to the gmail...put it all on one gmail account? This'll save me a good $20 per month (actually $40 since I have two lines).

Does Yahoo have an app like this? Yahoo seems to sync perfectly (delete|read|mark new msg on BB...msg deleted|read|mark new on account and vise-versa). But gmail doesn't seem to want to sync read|unread.

Hi,I really haven't tried setting up additional pop e-mail accounts to work through gmail cause most of them only get junk. What I've done is set up multiple identities with g-mail and had my IT guy forward my work e-mail to gmail. So, using the gmail mobile app I receive my gmai and my work e-mail and I choose to reply with the identity that matches the e-mail address that the message was sent to.
In your case, instead creating the pop accounts in gmail, you can have auto ffd set up on all other e-mail accounts ( if that option exists) and everything will be pushed to your g-mail account.
In regards to your sync question.. I have no problems at all. The sync between the gmail mobile app and the gmail web app is flawless.

On the other hand, you got me thinking if the additional pop accounts will carry over to the gmail mobile app.. let me play with it a bit and will let you all know soon..
Old 01-31-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
kermalou
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ummm how do you get different identities on the mobile app?
Old 01-31-2008, 03:53 AM   #14
makedonce

Set up the identities on gmail web. set one identity as default and mark the option that you want to reply using the e-mail adress that the message was sent to.
Once you start using the gmail mobile app, everytime you compose new message it will use the default identity, but when you reply, it will use the identity that the e-mail was sent to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermalou View Post
Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Ummm how do you get different identities on the mobile app?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #15
PeaceOut

Model: 8310

if you use this concept and forward all your email to the gmail account you would lose out on the benefit of syncing. You would have to delete your work mail twice (once on BB and then at the office) also any other account that you link to it other than the gmail account.
Closed Thread