BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #1
Georgieboy

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange Business UK
Default How do I access the internet on wifi through a proxy?

Please Login to Remove!

I have a BB Bold 9780 that's not on an enterprise server, but I need to access the internet via my school's WiFi but it needs to go through a proxy server with authentication credentials. I've searched around and can't find it anywhere - any help? All things up to date etc
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-14-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: How do I access the internet on wifi through a proxy?

Your Hotspot browser should cause your BlackBerry to open the configuration screen to enter the credentials needed, or you can access it through the Manage Connections app. You might also try the Setup app and go to WiFi.

Generally speaking, you must have an official BlackBerry data plan even to use WiFi. Any data used over WiFi won't count against any monthly allotment, but you need to have the data plan in place to get the service books to enable WiFi use.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #3
Georgieboy

Carrier: Orange Business UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Your Hotspot browser should cause your BlackBerry to open the configuration screen to enter the credentials needed, or you can access it through the Manage Connections app. You might also try the Setup app and go to WiFi.

Generally speaking, you must have an official BlackBerry data plan even to use WiFi. Any data used over WiFi won't count against any monthly allotment, but you need to have the data plan in place to get the service books to enable WiFi use.
Hi rambo47,

I have got a data plan with my carrier but I prefer to use WiFi at my college because it's faster etc. Only problem is that it's not registered as a 'Hotspot' but as a normal WiFi network, with WEP passphrase but to bypass their internal internet filter you need to enter proxy credentials, which I can't find anywhere to enter. Most people with iPods and iPhones can do it....
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-14-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

So you can connect and use the WiFi network, but you don't want to deal with the filters? How do the iPod folks do it?
Old 06-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
pherdie

Model: 9700
Carrier: Globe

hi, i have the same problem. i can access other wifi spots and browse with no problems. but my school's wifi need proxy setting enabled before i can browse. i tried looking in settings and wifi setup but i can't seem to find where i can put in the proxy settings needed for my school wifi. i can't seem to find it in the browser as well.

my schoolmates with apple devices are able to surf. they just enter the proxy settings of our school. but with my bb, i don't know where to enter those settings.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:31 AM   #6
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

Its AFAIK not possible to use a proxy with the blackberry browser.
The blackberry is connected over a secure internet tunnel to RIMs data-center (which also acts as a proxy for the Browser). The BB browser will directly access only the local subnet it is inside, but all other request go through the tunnel.
This maybe is part of RIMs strategy towards having an always secure internet connection for the user - If you would use a proxy for http, the data and your requests can be monitored and filtered by the admin of the proxy.

https requests cannot be handled by a proxy because then, https would be insecure.
Exeption: if your device is on a BES, the BES admin can setup a proxy on the BES server.

Maybe some third-party browser like bolt or opera mini support the use of a http proxy, but I have not tried this.

Last edited by nobody7290; 06-20-2011 at 11:37 AM..
Old 06-25-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
nobody7290
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: t-mobile Germany

What I wrote above ist not correct:
The Wifi Browser connects direct to the internet. Still you cant setup a proxy anyway.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #8
pauldavidwilson

Carrier: Bell Mobility

There are a few third party apps that deal with proxy servers, however I have had no luck. I'm presently working in an office with no wi-fi, however my laptop can transmit wi-fi, unfortunately it connects to the net through a proxy. haven't had any luck in this matter.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #9
bill77056

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

rambo47
Since using Wi-Fi with BB requires a data plan, do you know of any handset/vendor that will support Wi-Fi w/o the data plan?

I have VZW's dataplan and a BB 6930 which I like. Would like to eliminate the data plan and get Wi-Fi capability.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:06 PM   #10
bill77056

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon

sorry 9630 not 6930...
Old 07-24-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

I used to use a Nokia E71 and T-Mobile's T-Zones $5.99 plan. BlackBerrys all require the data plan, and most carriers have gotten much more strict with requiring data plans, even on non-BlackBerry phones. T-Mobile is still the loosest with data rules.
Old 07-26-2011, 04:20 AM   #12
ZealousQA

Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Good day,
so, as a conclusion, there is no way to surf the net via Wi-Fi using HTTP proxy.
this is not logical, all other smartphone support this standard feature.

if someone just found a way or software which will solve this solution please post it here.

usually HTTP Proxy can be set in WIFI setting on Nokia but in Explorer option in any computer. why it is not available in BB?

waiting a reply guys,

Take care.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
ThanhLoan

Model: 9800
Carrier: Bell

Yeah...this stupid BB 9800 don't give you an option to specify the proxy server and port #.
It is standard on other devices like iPhone etc...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

And you have discovered that BlackBerrys are different. Not stupid, just different.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
shaista

Model: 8520
Carrier: VODAFONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealousQA View Post
Good day,
so, as a conclusion, there is no way to surf the net via Wi-Fi using HTTP proxy.
this is not logical, all other smartphone support this standard feature.

if someone just found a way or software which will solve this solution please post it here.

usually HTTP Proxy can be set in WIFI setting on Nokia but in Explorer option in any computer. why it is not available in BB?

waiting a reply guys,

Take care.
pllzz let me know what todo about the proxy settings.. der has got to be some way..!! my wifi at home gets connectd but the wifi at college doesnt
Old 09-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #16
dansoucy

Carrier: Virgin Mobile

In case anyone is still looking for a solution I found a workaround to use web browsing through a proxy on your BB. First Download Opera Mini browser (opera.com/mobile) from a normal wifi network. Then you need the ip address and port number for the proxy server your trying to connect to. Open opera and in the address bar put the ipaddress and port number like this :

ipaddress:port i.e. it would look like this 192.168.1.1:4000

It should give you a popup to put your credentials, and then bang your in. You might need to put the address in a few times before you get the popup but it should show up. It didn't work on the regular BB browser so don't waste your time there. Also it wont let you use the APP world, only the opera browser as far as I can tell.

Dan
Old 09-13-2011, 08:08 PM   #17
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansoucy View Post
In case anyone is still looking for a solution I found a workaround to use web browsing through a proxy on your BB. First Download Opera Mini browser (opera.com/mobile) from a normal wifi network. Then you need the ip address and port number for the proxy server your trying to connect to. Open opera and in the address bar put the ipaddress and port number like this :

ipaddress:port i.e. it would look like this 192.168.1.1:4000

It should give you a popup to put your credentials, and then bang your in. You might need to put the address in a few times before you get the popup but it should show up. It didn't work on the regular BB browser so don't waste your time there. Also it wont let you use the APP world, only the opera browser as far as I can tell.

Dan
That was how we did it on our old Palm Treo phones on T-Mobile. We got full data services with only the $4.99 TZones plan. Ah, memories!
Closed Thread