Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
gpc
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: CellSouth
Default 3G vs 2G signal

Please Login to Remove!

Have been considering moving from 8800 to a Bold.

With AT&T. Live in an area where I have a signal occasionally in my home with my 8800. Was told by a rep that the signal with 3G is better in my area than the 2G signal. Have not found anyone with Bold that I could take to my home. Are there many areas where 3g is stronger than 2g?

Also anyone using anything that boost the signal from outside into home. Have seen a product with antenna and booster but they are about 600. Would it work equally well for 3g as opposed to 2g?
Old 04-21-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Solarplexxus

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpc View Post
Are there many areas where 3g is stronger than 2g?
I live in Birmingham, Alabama and just upgraded to the Bold from the 8700c. The 3G signal at home is generally stronger than EDGE, but it still gets weak sometimes and the phone drops to EDGE. So, to answer your question, 3G may be "stronger", but still unreliable.

I even had GPRS on the screen the other night. AT&T's network is simply unstable. Hopefully, 3G will get better as they convert towers to 850MHz.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #3
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

I had my bold on 3G and had much better service at home! Than I did on EDGE
Old 04-22-2009, 06:35 AM   #4
ExGMan

Model: 9000
Default BOLD 3G Signal Much Stronger

I live in an area near Boston, MA where the 2G signal was essentially worthless in my house...commonly it was in the -95 to -100dbm strength, with one or two bars on my 8700c. I switched to the BOLD this past Sunday, and the 3G signal is five bars with -70dbm strength constantly. I find I can actually really use the BOLD in the house now.

A side benefit (unrelated to the 3G) is that I can use my WiFi network in the house for email.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:55 AM   #5
bostonnerd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: z10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
I live in an area near Boston, MA where the 2G signal was essentially worthless in my house...commonly it was in the -95 to -100dbm strength, with one or two bars on my 8700c. I switched to the BOLD this past Sunday, and the 3G signal is five bars with -70dbm strength constantly. I find I can actually really use the BOLD in the house now.

A side benefit (unrelated to the 3G) is that I can use my WiFi network in the house for email.
I also live in CH. AT&T turned on a tower in the area about a year ago and enabled 3G around 8 months ago. I find 3G coverage in CH to be much more reliable than 2G.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

The Bold will work with on 2G or 3G and automatically switch to the better signal. If AT&T covers the area where you'll use the phone, including your home, I'd get the Bold. You can buy a cell phone booster for less than $300. There are a few models that had good reviews; I'd be sure to find one that was discussed on a forum or you read a reliable review. Check howardforums.com and google it.

AT&T is releasing femtocells which are basically small cell towers that use your broadband connection to give you a 3G signal at home/work for calls and data. These will only work with 3G phones. Rumored date is June for release.

You can either call/online ATT and get a Bold with a 30 day trial period.

Now the bad news: The problem with 3G is that it will drop a call if the phone switches to 2G. Also, the battery life is poor. I was forced to debrand my phone so I could manually switch 3G off. I use mine in NYC/NJ and dropped more than a dozen calls a day. On 2G is solved the dropped call problem and also improves battery life considerably.

Regards-Michael G.
Closed Thread