Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 04:51 PM   #1
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmo
Default 9700 headphone jack issue/random reboots

Please Login to Remove!

After listening to regular headphones for an hour, my 9700 still thinks they're plugged in. I can't make a call unless I plug in the headphones or the headphones that came with the phone.
Anyone else have probs with the headphone jack?
I also am having intermittent issues staying connected while on a call while on 3G. It will sometimes drop after 2 min and sometimes will be stable for 30 min+. Also the phone resets at random times, especially during when the calls are dropping. I'm in the Miami downtown/metro area and we supposedly have good 3g coverage here.

The headphone jack issue just started happening. The reboots and dropped calls have been an issue since I got the phone.
Running Tmo standard OS 5.0.0.330.

I had a similar issue on a pearl 8120 where it just wouldn't play music through headphones.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:31 PM   #2
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

To be clear: the phone is constantly switching back and forth between headphone and regular speaker, unless the headphones are plugged in.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #3
TheRinger
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 4
PIN: Whats a pin? lol
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by pda luvr View Post
To be clear: the phone is constantly switching back and forth between headphone and regular speaker, unless the headphones are plugged in.
You've probably damaged your headphone jack.

If you look at the ones that came with the phone, look closely at the plug. Notice it has 3 rings? That's to separate left channel/right channel/microphone and when you put in headphones that aren't made for the phone, there is no guarantee those rings will be spaced correctly shorting it out inside.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

I just experienced this also. You need to make sure the headphone is fully plugged in. Then end the call and remove the headset. YES something is buggy on the 9700 on this issue.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
trax95008
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

this issue just started with me today. i have been running .545 for a week with no issue until i used my my headset today. after that, im having the issue of the phone switching back and forth preventing me from making a call. and for the record, i was using the factory headset that came with the device. my only idea is to downgrade the OS
Old 03-17-2010, 11:59 PM   #6
trax95008

i downgraded to .442 and still have the problem. looks like ill be getting a new (refurbished) phone tomorrow
Old 03-18-2010, 07:20 AM   #7
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

I would continue to try. Possibly the headset jack needs breaking in. I had to push my in and make sure I had it fully seated and then try to switch back. Its fine again. I do see what you are speaking of.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #8
trax95008

here's the fix!!! after downgrading to .442, still had the problem. so i downgraded to .405 so that i could return the device to ATT for a replacement. after the downgrade, i was playing around with it. i would make a call, and then plug the headset in and out. when it was in, it would stay on headset mode like it should. but whenever it was out, it would be switching back and forth. i kept plugging it in and out, until finally it stayed in HANDSET mode!!! then i was able to plug it in and out several times with it acting properly, and i haven't seen the issue since. i think the problem is that there is a flaw (bad design) within the jack. maybe two contacts really close together that were still barley touching when the plug was out. its just a theory, but seems likely considering how i fixed it. let us know if any one else is able to fix theirs this way
Old 03-18-2010, 12:30 PM   #9
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

From what I'm hearing, it doesn't sound like a OS version update will work, it's more of a hardware flaw/issue. My phone began doing this after about a month of almost daily headphone/music player use (no more ipod for me for the last 2 years).
My issue went away the day the replacement phone arrived. I sprayed a few healthy squirts of canned air into the jack and the problem went away the next morning. My 9700 still drops calls and resets intermittently, it drops from 3g to gprs when i'm on a call, even if I'm sitting in one place in downtown miami area, not driving. I'm gonna try the nexus one..
Old 03-22-2010, 01:24 AM   #10
pda luvr
Thumbs Must Hurt

An update: the phone was replaced w/ a tmobile refurb and 2 days later the volume down button doesn't work. I can turn it all the way up but volume wont go down in speakerphone, regular call, headset, or the music player app. I tried updating to the latest OS as of 3/22 and I didn't expect it to work so yet another replacement is otw...the 9700 model is starting to feel like windows vista to me.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:49 PM   #11
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I just had a 9700 device with this switching back and forth problem. Phone is being replaced under warranty. I think there is some crappy build issues here.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
RPV

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Not a hardware fault

It's a software issue. If you do a hard reset or a battery pull the problem goes away until you plug the headset in and then remove it. The problem will then return until you do another hard reset. It's nothing to do with dust etc in the socket. It's not a hardware issue either so there's no point in getting a replacement handset. Hopefully it will be addressed in an upcoming software release.

Richie
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Thank you for you post. However, you are wrong.

This is a hardware issue which then causes a software issue.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:45 PM   #14
elpokerxxx

Carrier: orange
Thumbs up resolve . fixxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I just experienced this also. You need to make sure the headphone is fully plugged in. Then end the call and remove the headset. YES something is buggy on the 9700 on this issue.
thanks man i only registred in the page for thank you . this is the second time that happend to me , the first time i reset the phone i downgrade i upgrade and nothing the same problem and i resolved taking the phone to repair. but this time i resolve exact how you say in your post. thank you again.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:14 AM   #15
dholoman

Carrier: att

Some things (like blowing in the hole) work for a little while, but then stop. The problem is sufficient to get the phone replaced, if you are under warranty. What a mess.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
alfredopa

Model: Bold
Carrier: TMobile
Default Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008 View Post
here's the fix!!! after downgrading to .442, still had the problem. so i downgraded to .405 so that i could return the device to ATT for a replacement. after the downgrade, i was playing around with it. i would make a call, and then plug the headset in and out. when it was in, it would stay on headset mode like it should. but whenever it was out, it would be switching back and forth. i kept plugging it in and out, until finally it stayed in HANDSET mode!!! then i was able to plug it in and out several times with it acting properly, and i haven't seen the issue since. i think the problem is that there is a flaw (bad design) within the jack. maybe two contacts really close together that were still barley touching when the plug was out. its just a theory, but seems likely considering how i fixed it. let us know if any one else is able to fix theirs this way
Thank you so much! I did what you described, and my problem was solved... I promise not to use the headset again...
Old 10-04-2010, 02:25 PM   #17
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Just to confirm what others have reported:

This didn't happen to me until now. I bought this 9700 new in February.

I had started a podcast without the earbuds, just playing through the speakerphone speaker. No sound. The media player volume level popup window on the display showed the device switching between headphones and speaker for a few seconds, and then the player would stop.

I clicked play and then plugged in the ear buds while it was switching back and forth, and it stopped switching and locked on the ear buds. I unplugged the ear buds and it switched to the speaker and continued playing.

I've always only used the OEM earbuds.

I'm curious whether this is going to happen again and get progressively more frequent, or what. I guess I'll give it a few days to a week and see.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 10-04-2010 at 02:34 PM..
Old 10-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
jaysee

Model: 8800
Carrier: O2

I just experienced this issue today and the fix (plug in and out repeatedly during a call) did the trick. Thanks!
Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM   #19
phrider

Model: 9812
PIN: 6.02214179E23
Carrier: TMO US

The fix didn't work for me until I shut the Blackberry off, then unplugged the headset and turned the phone back on -- or that was just the 25 time inserting and removing the headset jack, and it happened to finally work.

If the "intermittant headset that isn't there" problem happens again, it's exchange time.

Last edited by phrider; 10-27-2010 at 02:19 PM..
Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #20
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

It will happen again.

An update on my case, it hasn't happened again, yet. I know it will, but if it remains as infrequent as it seems, and the fix is as easy as it was for me, I can live with it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread