BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Pflugerbill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile
Default How Do I Tell What Network I Am On?

Please Login to Remove!

I've searched but haven't found the answer to this question. How can I tell what network I am on? I have an 8320 Curve, with 4.5 OS, on the T-Mobile network with unlimited data and Internet usage.

For example, right now My unit shows T-Mobile Home which is my home wifi router name. In the upper right hand corner is a WiFi symbol in dark, bold, upper case EDGE, a symbol that looks like an upside down radar and I am showing four bars out of five.

I have my settings for wi-fi set to wi-fi preferred. Data Services is set to On. Mobile Network shows T-Mobile and Netowrk Selection Mode is set for Automatic.

Under settings I show Mobile Network T-Mobile green with a checkmark, and Wi-Fi Home also green with a checkmark.

So am I on my wi-fi at home or not? Or am I on Edge? I read somewhere that when I am on wi-fi there will be a UMA and red bars.

Also, could someone tell me what my browser should be set to. My options are: Internet Browser, t-zones, and Hotspot Browser.

My intent is to use wi-fi as much as possible for the faster service.

Help!!
Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 PM   #2
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

The device will show that you have available signals from both wifi and cell networks. If your seeing your home wifi then that is what you will be using. It maintains both connections so that if you move out of range of the wifi signal it will automatically switch to the cell network.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-31-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
Pflugerbill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Thank you fisher. So I don't need to worry about "red bars" or anything like that?
Old 07-31-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
snoopy0011
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pflugerbill View Post
Thank you fisher. So I don't need to worry about "red bars" or anything like that?
Keep in mind that if you don't have hotspot at home and you are using UMA, you DON'T have unlimted calls via wi-fi. It seems that a lot of people think that when you are connected to wi-fi, since wi-fi is free, calls are free but you are just using wi-fi connection to place that call and the minutes are not free.
Closed Thread