Old 06-27-2009, 09:44 PM   #1
TI_2Diff

Model: curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Need BB, Travel Data Plans Question

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a BB for Data only. I already have a cell phone (stuck in a contract) and found it less expensive, for now, to sign up for a BB with a data only plan. I only need this for work - email and IM and occassionally surf.

I travel very frequently to Canada and occassionally to Europe (maybe twice/year). I would like to continue having email IM and web access during those times, 24/7.

I'm very confused on what carrier to use! Do you have any suggestions on a carrier (I'm in the U.S.) and about getting a data plan that will meet my needs? I am aware of international data plans - do you know of a carrier that will allow me to add the international data as needed? (on/off depending on my monthly travel schedule). Also, if I DON'T get a international data plan and I do travel - am I consuming data at an outrageous rate if I'm connected to IM or the web and automatically cking email? I keep hearing horror stories.....

Thanks - I'm quite green when it comes to this, for some reason. I guess I'm paranoid of signing up for a 2 year contract and finding out I didn't think it through enough!

Thanks much!
TI
Old 06-28-2009, 05:23 AM   #2
CT-Mike
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 30c91ae8
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

Not sure about other carriers but Verizon will allow you to turn global data/e-mail on/off as needed. I believe it runs $64.99/month. Of course you need a global phone capable of operating on GSM networks such as the 8830 World Edition or the new 9630 Tour that is due out in 2 weeks.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #3
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Only thing I can say to this is that when you don't have an international data plan, and you are out of the country i.e. roaming; you are not consuming a massive amount of data, you are using the same as when in the country; its just that are you CHARGED a massive amount for roaming data.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 06-29-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
Carrier: T-Mobile

Sprint will also allow you to turn the international plan on and off as needed. I think they also have a Canada-Mexico plan that would specifically address your frequent trips North.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

I think Tmobile has the cheapest plan and also lets you turn the unlimited international email on and off. You can even do it within the month and only pay for those days or weeks.

$39.99 for unlimited email and data and $19.99 for the unlimited international email when you have it activated.

But their network coverage is not nearly as good as the others so check the coverage where you live and work. If you're always near a wifi spot, you can get email over UMA instead.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
TI_2Diff

Model: curve
Carrier: att

Hi,

Just to follow-up I contacted AT&T (my current provider) and was told I could turn on/off international usage as needed. Also, their data only Blackberry personal plan is around $35 for unlimited email and data. (July 09)

thanks everyone for the help
Old 07-10-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

(nm)

Last edited by takeshi; 07-10-2009 at 09:43 AM..
Closed Thread