BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:44 AM   #1
hibeat5

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default PRE-LOADED apps on the rogers carrier for the 9700!!!

Please Login to Remove!

HI guys, I just bought a 9700 yesterday. Very last one where i live! however I have reasons to believe that this phone could be used or something to that capacity that it may be an open box. I popped my battery in and the screen took a long time to boot up the first time and it asked me for all my information like date and time and email etc. So i assume it must be new?

However i noticed that apps like Blackberry apps world is not in there.... If possible can anyone from the rogers carrier tell me ALL the apps they got when they got their phone.

Help is much appreciated. Thx

Last edited by hibeat5; 11-14-2009 at 01:45 AM..
Old 11-14-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
da_angelboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Where'd you get the phone from? I don't recall having App World on my 9700 when I got it. I had to manually install that.
Old 11-14-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
hibeat5

Got it from this rogers store but the box was obviously opened. Ya i heard it wasnt preloaded actually my fault. But in my downloads folder it has basically nothing but"Get New Games" and "blackberry help!". thought there'd be more stuff there.

Last edited by hibeat5; 11-14-2009 at 02:41 AM..
Old 11-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #4
DataCentre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 3GS

Haha. If they opened the box and installed AppWorld, I would go back and ask for a discounted price as the device is now used before you bought it.

Visit my BlackBerry Theme Store today!

Last edited by DataCentre; 11-14-2009 at 11:51 AM..
Old 11-14-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
pokey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataCentre View Post
Haha. If they opened the box and installed AppWorld, I would go back and ask for a discounted price as the device is now used before you bought it.
When I took mine back after using it for 24 hours, they put it back on the shelves to sell. I was surprised.
Old 11-14-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
hibeat5

My god thats rediculous. there should be some rules or regulations protecting new purchases
Old 11-14-2009, 10:56 PM   #7
lmcjipo

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

When I picked up my Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 from a Rogers store (I purchased it by calling them and faxing them my new account/activation form about 3 days earlier), my box was also opened when I received it. I also got a new account with the Blackberry at the same time (500MB BIS data only account without voice). The store that I ordered it from opened my box and placed the SIM in it. Everything else looked untouched/new.

When I mentioned this to the store the day after, I was informed that for new accounts, their standard practice is to put the activated SIM into the phone and make sure that everything is working properly. If I had only gotten the device without a new account set-up/activation, the account manager informed me that they would not have opened up my box.

On another note, was the microSD card inside your Blackberry? Mine was inside my Blackberry and the store account manager informed me that they didn't do it and RIM inserts it into the Blackberry.

Personally, it doesn't make that big of a difference for me if it was open as long as it appears to be brand new and the warranty period starts from the date that my phone was ready to be picked up... which is the case.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 11-14-2009 at 10:59 PM..
Old 11-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #8
hibeat5

Ya I know what you mean. And ya the 2 gig card is already in there for me too. But out of curiosty what preloaded apps did you get in your downloads folder when u got it?
Old 11-15-2009, 07:25 AM   #9
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

They will not be any pre-loaded apps.
Only apps that come with the OS, such as some games.
If you see "apps" they will be links pushed by service books.

App World, Facebook, WLM etc will NOT be pre-loaded.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 11-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #10
torberry

Model: 9780
Carrier: Pigeon

Speaking of apps, what's the easiest way to remove voice dailing? I can't stand it.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #11
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

The easiest thing to do is to disable (or change) the convenience key - look in Options -> Screen/Keyboard
Old 11-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hibeat5 View Post
Ya I know what you mean. And ya the 2 gig card is already in there for me too. But out of curiosty what preloaded apps did you get in your downloads folder when u got it?
In my downloads folder, my Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 came with MySpace, Flickr, BlackBerry HELP!, and Get New Games.

I added Facebook, BlackBerry App World, and a host of other programs (including SlingPlayer Mobile, Google Voice, Tivo DVR Scheduler, Bloomberg Mobile, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, my box was opened when I picked it up from the Rogers store. The account manager told me that it was standard practice to insert the SIM into the phone for new accounts (new activations).

My Tech Blog
Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 PM   #13
Finsta
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
In my downloads folder, my Rogers Blackberry Bold 9700 came with MySpace, Flickr, BlackBerry HELP!, and Get New Games.

I added Facebook, BlackBerry App World, and a host of other programs (including SlingPlayer Mobile, Google Voice, Tivo DVR Scheduler, Bloomberg Mobile, etc.).

As I mentioned earlier, my box was opened when I picked it up from the Rogers store. The account manager told me that it was standard practice to insert the SIM into the phone for new accounts (new activations).
I got my 9700 fresh new in box. Those are default.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:09 PM   #14
skatementle

Carrier: att

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post

so how is slingplayer on your 9700? did u install the 9000 version? I have a slingbox and my dad uses his the sling app on his iphone it cost 30 bones! how much does the bb version cost? any insight would be appreciated
Old 11-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
hibeat5

I didn't have myspace or flickr should that raise any alarms ?
Old 11-17-2009, 10:38 PM   #16
lmcjipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatementle View Post
so how is slingplayer on your 9700? did u install the 9000 version? I have a slingbox and my dad uses his the sling app on his iphone it cost 30 bones! how much does the bb version cost? any insight would be appreciated
For me, I find that SlingPlayer works very well on my Bold 9700. There is some mention of incompatibilities but the only thing that I noticed is that "Audio Only" mode does not work. If you happen to go into "Audio Only" mode, SlingPlayer will seem to be doing something but absolutely nothing will happen. If you exit SlingPlayer Mobile and go back into it, you will still be in this "Audio Only" mode. The only way that I found of using SlingPlayer mobile again was to delete it and reinstall it.

I installed it via a direct link that someone gave me on another forum since going to the SlingMedia Mobile website gave me a message that my Blackberry wasn't compatible.

I'm not sure whether I installed the 9000 version since the link that I used was http://download.slingmedia.com/playe...bold_EN_US.jad

The only way that I found of downloading the program was to go through a forum link. It didn't work when I typed the URL manually in the Blackberry Bold Browser.

I believe that the price of the Blackberry version is the same as the iPhone version. The thing with the Blackberry version unlike the iPhone/iTouch version is that you have a trial version so you can test it out. For me, I contacted SlingMedia and they allowed me to transfer my S60 license to the Blackberry because I lost my Nokia N95-4 phone. They wouldn't allow me to transfer the S60 license to my iPhone but allowed me to transfer it to any other device. When they told me that I could transfer my license to a Blackberry and didn't have to repurchase an S60 phone, I opted to get a Blackberry.

My Tech Blog
Old 11-18-2009, 12:01 AM   #17
raynicolini
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 28316DB1
Carrier: Toronto Wireless

has anyone tried garmin mobile on the 9700, i have it on my 9000
Closed Thread