BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #1
voxter

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Wifi Data Services not working after inserting new SIM?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

Ive just come from Canada where Rogers is my provider, and everything worked. I'm in Costa Rica now, and previously while I was here, if i attached to the WiFi, I could get full data service connectivity from my BES server (BB Email, BBM, etc)

I have a local Costa Rican SIM card now, and after inserting it (it does not have blackberry data services on it yet, although they JUST started offering it) I am no longer able to get my BB data services when on WiFi. I even tried putting my old Rogers SIM back in, but still no good. Its as if ICE (the local carrier in Costa Rica) pushed some service books to my phone that are now preventing it from connecting to my BES data services over WiFi.

Does this sound like something that happens alot, or they would likely do?

Is there a service book log I can check, or a place where I might delete the service books that they may have sent?

I'm going to be calling the carrier shortly to activate BB data services on the SIM, which will hopefully take care of things anyways, but now that I'm in this position I'm curious what can be done about it, or maybe even prevent it in the future?

Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Does your device connect at all to wifi? Any indictaion of wifi availibilty where you are located?

You may be correct about the Service Books, but it may alos be a lack of availible wifi where you are
Old 05-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
voxter

Ah sorry I forgot to mention. I am successfully connected to wifi, and this is confirmed by changing my browser to Hotspot Browser, and I am able to browse the internet (there is NO data service on the SIM, so for sure its wifi)

Also I've verified wifi by using the network diagnostics and ensuring I have signal, IP address, can ping out, DNS lookup, etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Unfortunately, when you change to a SIM without BlackBerry service on it, you will no longer be connected to your BES, and thus your BES-based services such as e-mail will not function. Based on my previous experience in Costa Rica, Grupo ICE does not offer BlackBerry service for prepaid subscribers, so you're pretty much dead in the water. My suggestion woud be to put your ICE SIM in a regular phone for your phone and SMS service, and leave your Rogers SIM in your BlackBerry, but turn of the Mobile Network in Connection Manager. That way, you will still be connected to your BES when in a WiFi service area.

Alternatively, request that your company pay for your international roaming bills.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
voxter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Unfortunately, when you change to a SIM without BlackBerry service on it, you will no longer be connected to your BES, and thus your BES-based services such as e-mail will not function. Based on my previous experience in Costa Rica, Grupo ICE does not offer BlackBerry service for prepaid subscribers, so you're pretty much dead in the water. My suggestion woud be to put your ICE SIM in a regular phone for your phone and SMS service, and leave your Rogers SIM in your BlackBerry, but turn of the Mobile Network in Connection Manager. That way, you will still be connected to your BES when in a WiFi service area.
That is what I thought was happening, I just wanted to understand what it is that actually changed, since when I put my Rogers SIM back in, I was unable to connect to my BES even with the mobile connection off, and WiFi on. I figured that it must have been a service book that changed when I inserted the ICE sim and registered on their mobile network. I'm going to be giving ICE a call to get full blackberry activation set up tomorrow anyways.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 05-03-2009, 01:57 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxter View Post
That is what I thought was happening, I just wanted to understand what it is that actually changed, since when I put my Rogers SIM back in, I was unable to connect to my BES even with the mobile connection off, and WiFi on. I figured that it must have been a service book that changed when I inserted the ICE sim and registered on their mobile network. I'm going to be giving ICE a call to get full blackberry activation set up tomorrow anyways.

Thanks for the insight!
Right, that's exactly what happened. You inserted a SIM without BlackBerry services so you lost your service books and Host Routing Table.

Also, be aware that you will need to be on ICE post-paid to get BlackBerry service through them.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
voxter

Quote:
Right, that's exactly what happened. You inserted a SIM without BlackBerry services so you lost your service books and Host Routing Table.

Also, be aware that you will need to be on ICE post-paid to get BlackBerry service through them.
I will be on post-paid, for sure. Thanks for the tip.

For curiosity's sake, is there a way to write protect service books so that experiments such as these dont render me unable to even put my Rogers sim back in and have things work as they had before? Maybe a desktop client backup or something?

Alternatively, is there a manual way to edit/restore the correct information and override what was pushed to me by ICE?

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I will be on post-paid, for sure. Thanks for the tip.

For curiosity's sake, is there a way to write protect service books so that experiments such as these dont render me unable to even put my Rogers sim back in and have things work as they had before? Maybe a desktop client backup or something?

Alternatively, is there a manual way to edit/restore the correct information and override what was pushed to me by ICE?

Thanks again for all your help.
You're welcome.

Unfortunately, service books cannot be write-protected. That said, you should have gotten your Rogers service books back when you put in your Rogers card and registered with the network. Did you ever receive upper-case GPRS with your Rogers card?
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
voxter

Quote:
You're welcome.

Unfortunately, service books cannot be write-protected. That said, you should have gotten your Rogers service books back when you put in your Rogers card and registered with the network. Did you ever receive upper-case GPRS with your Rogers card?
No, only GSM - just like with my ICE chip. I presume this is because GPRS/EDGE data roaming from Rogers onto ICE does not work. I get voice service but no data roaming service.. Maybe because my rogers account is not provisioned as such, but...

I'm headed to ICE right now to activate my SIM, we'll see how that goes.

Now if i could only get the skinny on international SMS between ICE + Rogers, I'd be set!
Old 05-04-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
No, only GSM - just like with my ICE chip. I presume this is because GPRS/EDGE data roaming from Rogers onto ICE does not work. I get voice service but no data roaming service.. Maybe because my rogers account is not provisioned as such, but...

I'm headed to ICE right now to activate my SIM, we'll see how that goes.

Now if i could only get the skinny on international SMS between ICE + Rogers, I'd be set!
That's entirely possible that you're not provisioned for data roaming.

As far as SMS, that should be pretty straightforward. You should be able to SMS from ICE to Canadian or US numbers by just entering +1 before the 10-digit number.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
voxter

Quote:
That's entirely possible that you're not provisioned for data roaming.

As far as SMS, that should be pretty straightforward. You should be able to SMS from ICE to Canadian or US numbers by just entering +1 before the 10-digit number.
So I just got back from ICE, what a lovely experience, and I say that with a decent amount of sarcasm!

I walked in to the main waiting room where there were ~50 people waiting to talk to clerks. Apparently, since the blackberry service is new, they have a dedicated desk of two guys activating blackberries, so i just walked right up! That almost never happens here!!

Anyways, he activated my SIM and my BES connection fired right up. Fantastic..

As far as SMS, the guy told me that +1+10 digit number was the way they do it, but since its a pilot program, its sometimes hit or miss. I've yet to see a text go through so far, but... hey, at least I have BES working again!!
Old 05-04-2009, 03:21 PM   #12
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
So I just got back from ICE, what a lovely experience, and I say that with a decent amount of sarcasm!

I walked in to the main waiting room where there were ~50 people waiting to talk to clerks. Apparently, since the blackberry service is new, they have a dedicated desk of two guys activating blackberries, so i just walked right up! That almost never happens here!!

Anyways, he activated my SIM and my BES connection fired right up. Fantastic..

As far as SMS, the guy told me that +1+10 digit number was the way they do it, but since its a pilot program, its sometimes hit or miss. I've yet to see a text go through so far, but... hey, at least I have BES working again!!
Excellent! Glad to hear!

CR is way behind the times as far as technology goes. They still use TDMA phones for Pete's sake! When I visited in 2005, one couldn't even get a prepaid SIM card.

BTW, are you in San José? If so, have you been to the cigar bar up the street from the Clarion?
Old 05-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #13
voxter

Quote:
Excellent! Glad to hear!

CR is way behind the times as far as technology goes. They still use TDMA phones for Pete's sake! When I visited in 2005, one couldn't even get a prepaid SIM card.

BTW, are you in San José? If so, have you been to the cigar bar up the street from the Clarion?
I am infact in San José, but I havent been to the cigar bar. I should check it out, apparently?

They're making some leaps and bounds in technology in the last few years, but its definitely still behind. I'm hoping that now that the free trade agreement has passed, the market will open up and it will force advancements in infrastructure around here.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #14
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I am infact in San José, but I havent been to the cigar bar. I should check it out, apparently?

They're making some leaps and bounds in technology in the last few years, but its definitely still behind. I'm hoping that now that the free trade agreement has passed, the market will open up and it will force advancements in infrastructure around here.
I'm not necessarily advising checking it out, but I was just curious if you'd been there. As you have not, I'll just say that cigars are not their main offering despite the sign above the door.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #15
voxter

Quote:
I'm not necessarily advising checking it out, but I was just curious if you'd been there. As you have not, I'll just say that cigars are not their main offering despite the sign above the door.
10-4.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:34 PM   #16
wjenkinsuk

Model: bold
Carrier: o2
Default Help!!!

Hi Guys

ive done exactly the same thing and put a costa rica sim in my phone and now none of my emails or bbm is comin through, also havin a really hard time gettin a costa rica sim, is there anyway i can get my phone back to working the way it did before i put CR sim in

i have massive crackberry addiction and havent had it for 2 days now!

Help

Will
Closed Thread