Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:14 AM   #1
st8ofmi9d
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default 8120 w/o data plan

Please Login to Remove!

I upgraded my wife to an 8120. She does not "need" email support enough to warrant adding a data plan. Is it possible to set up e-mail over WiFi without a data plan? We are on T-Mobile.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

To keep it simple, No

Get the $9.99 BlackBerry email only plan from T-Mobile.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
st8ofmi9d
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydbrown View Post
To keep it simple, No
T-Mobile.
That's what I feared/expected.

What can/can't I do with the WiFi? I know that I can browse any web page when I have a WiFi Signal. Can I run any other applications through the WiFi Signal? My wife would LOVE BBWeather, but that does not seem to work through the WiFi (at least the way that I have it configured). What about stuff like Yahoo Go or Gmail? Will they work through the WiFi or do they need a data plan?

Thank you!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
KaiserM715

Model: -
PIN: N/A
Carrier: -

Quote:
Originally Posted by st8ofmi9d View Post
What can/can't I do with the WiFi? I know that I can browse any web page when I have a WiFi Signal. Can I run any other applications through the WiFi Signal? My wife would LOVE BBWeather, but that does not seem to work through the WiFi (at least the way that I have it configured). What about stuff like Yahoo Go or Gmail? Will they work through the WiFi or do they need a data plan?
I am interested in this response as well. I also have an 8120 on T-Modile w/o data plan. I have installed Opera and have been having difficulties connecting on my home WiFi, however.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:43 PM   #5
andykwg

Model: 8120
Carrier: TMO

I can connect with WiFi without any data plan, just connect to my home router and use gmail or hotmail (for mobile). It works fine, just not on the push mail but save you $10, if you don't need to know all the emails fast....
Old 04-26-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
Dinan3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:

Thank you!
For the majority of applications/content to work such as BBweather, you will need the BB data plan. It will not work with just a wifi connection. I would say about 90% of BlackBerry data usage will require a BlackBerry data plan.

A lot of new users aren't familiar with the FULL experience they'll encounter with adding the BlackBerry Data. I suggest you give it a shot for a month, if it isn't worth the extra...then by all means, take it off of your plan.

Last edited by Dinan3; 04-26-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
strike2tamu
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan3
Quote:

Thank you!
For the majority of applications/content to work such as BBweather, you will need the BB data plan. It will not work with just a wifi connection. I would say about 90% of BlackBerry data usage will require a BlackBerry data plan.

A lot of new users aren't familiar with the FULL experience they'll encounter with adding the BlackBerry Data. I suggest you give it a shot for a month, if it isn't worth the extra...then by all means, take it off of your plan.
Excellent advice.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
kentuc794

Model: 8100
Carrier: AT&T

i did the try it for one month thing and never looked back. Dinan3 is right you have to get the full experience to see what you are missing without a data plan.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
xelencin

Model: None
Carrier: None

Opera Mini, Gmail, Yahoo Go, Google Maps, and any other third party non-blackberry specific applications should work fine over WiFi.

Might involve some trial and error though.
Closed Thread