Old 08-13-2010, 12:54 PM   #1
michaelgnm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: smart
Default question about receiving email

Please Login to Remove!

i have some questions about receiving emails in the blackberry. as per my undersatanding, one of the advantages of having a blackberry is receiving an email whenever and wherever you are. in short it keeps you connected always.

in our country, we are charged a certain fee on a per kilobyte basis everytime an email is sent or received depending on the email size. here is my question- if for example, i am located in a wifi spot with wifi access, will i be charged a fee if i send or receive an email in my blackberry? is there a switch in the blackberry to inform it that i am i na wifi spot and therefore receiving and sending email should be free? or does the blackberry automatically recognize that it is in a wifi spot and will not be charging on a per kilobyte basis? thanks...
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

That is probably a question you need to pose to your carrier.

Keep in mind that we are in no way connected to RIM. This forum is privately owned and operated and we are all volunteers.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
michaelgnm

copy that. i was just hoping someone from this forum would be able to share his or her experience.. thanks
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

When it is related to a legal or money issue such as yours, it is better to get it straight from the horses mouth, or from one who is familiar with the laws and your situation.

What country?

-->>Twitter

Old 08-13-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Also, recognize that you will need a blackberry data plan -- a data service specifically for blackberrys -- to use the blackberry email service and other blackberry data apps. The good news is the blackberry service compresses data to a very high degree, and only the first 2kb or something like that of an email is pushed ininitally. You will not receive more without action on your part.

But I agree with Dub.... Talk to your carrier and get it spelled out in detail what you will get and for how much cost to you.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
adblink

Carrier: Telus

It was my understanding that you CAN'T send and receive e-mails through wifi because its designed to go through RIM.

I just tested it myself. Disabled the mobile network and enabled my wifi network. Email won't send. However other option is sign in to an emails web based service and send emails that way, but it won't be through the phone like normal but rather a website.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-13-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by adblink View Post
It was my understanding that you CAN'T send and receive e-mails through wifi because its designed to go through RIM.

I just tested it myself. Disabled the mobile network and enabled my wifi network. Email won't send. However other option is sign in to an emails web based service and send emails that way, but it won't be through the phone like normal but rather a website.
I do it all the time. I have an UMA device set to wifi preferred. When I'm within wifi range as I am now, everything is on wifi. Just to demonstrate, I've turned off mobile network to post this. Yes, it is the blackberry browser, but take my word for it that all blackberry data, including email, BBM, PIN, twitter .... everything BIS works on wifi.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

BIS will connect over wi-fi, as will BES for that matter, and so you can send and receive emails via wi-fi.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Quote:

Email and other RIM related services will work via WiFI if you have a BB data plan, your carrier allows it AND you have the proper WiFi service books.

-->>Twitter

Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #10
michaelgnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
BIS will connect over wi-fi, as will BES for that matter, and so you can send and receive emails via wi-fi.
is it right to say/assume- since my network (smart Trelecom from the Philippines) charges 15cents (data plan) per kb received and sent, so if I am close to a wifi network and would want to send an email without being charged the 'data plan/15cents' i just have to connect to wifi, and send all the bbm messages and emails i want. is this assumption correct?

reason why i am asking this is because i wanna make sure that when i get the blackberry my mobile bills might sky rocket. And i just wanna make sure that this bb device would be worth every penny and this includes its usage.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I wouldn't say that that's a safe assumption. You really need to talk to your service provider, document when and who you talk to and exactly what you are told. Then watch your billing very closely, online, daily if you can.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:35 PM   #12
adblink

Carrier: Telus

So by turning off the mobile network, and strictly using wifi what does the service provider have to do with it at that point? I'm with Telus fyi. Any Canadians here who can make this work?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:41 PM   #13
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
So by turning off the mobile network, and strictly using wifi what does the service provider have to do with it at that point? I'm with Telus fyi. Any Canadians here who can make this work?
Are you asking why your BIS services aren't working over wifi? Or are you asking about why one might be charged for BIS data when used over wifi?
Old 08-13-2010, 09:08 PM   #14
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
I'm with Rogers Wireless (also in Canada) and when I turn off the mobile network but I'm connected via WiFi, I'm able to send/receive e-mails.

My Tech Blog
Old 08-14-2010, 11:36 AM   #15
felix1522
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: NUMBER.
Carrier: TELUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
I'm with Rogers Wireless (also in Canada) and when I turn off the mobile network but I'm connected via WiFi, I'm able to send/receive e-mails.
Yes, as am I. Of course, I do also have a BB data plan with TELUS.
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
michaelgnm

i dont think that the service provider should be an issue here. my question is this, let me rephrase- we are all charged for the blackberry data plan. some would charge on a per kilobyte basis and some would just pay a one time monthly fee and you're connected 24X7 for 30 days a month.

here is the question, if one is charged per kilobyte- receive and send email or for internet usage, if there is a wifi spot and i receive or send out an email ,will i be charged? or will the phone automatically connect to the wifi? i do not plan to log in to the company's webmail or any other webmail. i just wanna send and receive email via the 'messages' icon on the phone and not going through the long process of entering he internet. will this have a charge or not?

so far, based on the answers, it seems that wether there is wifi or not, there will be a charge. because some are saying that when they turn off the mobile network and enable the wifi one cannot send nor receive emaill... perfectly put in words by adblink... It was my understanding that you CAN'T send and receive e-mails through wifi because its designed to go through RIM.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #17
michaelgnm

THIS- Originally Posted by adblink
" It was my understanding that you CAN'T send and receive e-mails through wifi because its designed to go through RIM.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile"

VS THIS...

"I do it all the time. I have an UMA device set to wifi preferred. When I'm within wifi range as I am now, everything is on wifi. Just to demonstrate, I've turned off mobile network to post this. Yes, it is the blackberry browser, but take my word for it that all blackberry data, including email, BBM, PIN, twitter .... everything BIS works on wifi.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile" AIHAKNESS

CONFUSES ME....
here are questions:

1) can you use email services via wifi without entering the net (webmail)?
2) can you use bbm over wifi?
Old 08-16-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
michaelgnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightDraven View Post
how do you set the phone to send and receive email via wifi? bbm?
Old 08-16-2010, 01:08 PM   #19
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You don't set it, it connects automatically to BIS when wi-fi is enabled; if you have a Blackberry data plan.

And to your other post 2 questions:
Yes and yes

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelgnm View Post
i dont think that the service provider should be an issue here. my question is this, let me rephrase- we are all charged for the blackberry data plan. some would charge on a per kilobyte basis and some would just pay a one time monthly fee and you're connected 24X7 for 30 days a month.

here is the question, if one is charged per kilobyte- receive and send email or for internet usage, if there is a wifi spot and i receive or send out an email ,will i be charged? or will the phone automatically connect to the wifi? i do not plan to log in to the company's webmail or any other webmail. i just wanna send and receive email via the 'messages' icon on the phone and not going through the long process of entering he internet. will this have a charge or not?

so far, based on the answers, it seems that wether there is wifi or not, there will be a charge. because some are saying that when they turn off the mobile network and enable the wifi one cannot send nor receive emaill... perfectly put in words by adblink... It was my understanding that you CAN'T send and receive e-mails through wifi because its designed to go through RIM.

I don't understand why you and some others who have blackberry data plans cannot use blackberry data apps like blackberry BIS (or BES) email over wifi. Me and others can do so just fine. Maybe it's a carrier thing. If your data service is BES, than maybe it's IT policy. I really don't know. But it is you, or your carrier, and not blackberry in general.

Also understand that blackberry data services use the internet for parts of the data transport between you and the server or other person your blackberry is exchanging data with.

The last thing to understand is that if and when you do figure out how to use BIS (or BES if that's the case) over wifi, you will still be using blackberry data. If you are paying per kb you need to find out from your carrier whether you are being metered when you are using wifi. Don't assume.
Closed Thread