Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
seanscott

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default BES Setting for viewing embedded images

Please Login to Remove!

A few users at my company complained that they couldn't view embedded (not attached) images in their email messages. The BlackBerry seems to remove the image and you get an empty box with text underneath saying Picture (Device Independent Bitmap).

After some testing we found that the issue only occurs when you embed (paste) an image, usually from a screenshot or the Windows snipping tool and the image is sent as Rich Text. If the image is embedded using the HTML message format, the image is viewable on the BlackBerry.

I checked the the BES IT Policy and verified that the Disable Rich Content Email option is set to the default value of No.

I'm thinking this may just be the way the BES handles emails with OLE images, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this or has a fix?

Thanks,
Sean

Last edited by seanscott; 04-30-2012 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
Carrier: Swisscom
Default Re: BES Setting for viewing embedded images

I normally need to press the Menu button when I am in the message and choose "Get Images". I then get the images (they are being downloaded from the Internet).

This is a security measure, otherwise the sender could track if you read their messages or not.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

What version BES?
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
seanscott

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinvibe View Post
I normally need to press the Menu button when I am in the message and choose "Get Images". I then get the images (they are being downloaded from the Internet).

This is a security measure, otherwise the sender could track if you read their messages or not.
When a Rich Text message is sent with an embedded image and received on a BlackBerry, you see a text box where the image should appear filled with "Picture (Device Independent Bitmap". Also at the bottom of the email message you have a message that there is an "Unsupported Attachment".

If you choose "Get Images", from the BlackBerry menu, text box that said "Picture (Device Independent Bitmap" changes to the same box filled with a red X.

Again, if you send the same exact email, but in HTML format, the image shows up perfectly in line in the text and you don't have to choose "Get Images".

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
What version BES?
We're running BES 5.0.3.31

Thanks again for your help guys!

-Sean
Old 05-16-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
seanscott

Bump.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
whatsnext

Model: 8530
Carrier: telus

I tried the "get images" however still not able to view the ole. Did you have to change the it policy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanscott View Post
When a Rich Text message is sent with an embedded image and received on a BlackBerry, you see a text box where the image should appear filled with "Picture (Device Independent Bitmap". Also at the bottom of the email message you have a message that there is an "Unsupported Attachment".

If you choose "Get Images", from the BlackBerry menu, text box that said "Picture (Device Independent Bitmap" changes to the same box filled with a red X.

Again, if you send the same exact email, but in HTML format, the image shows up perfectly in line in the text and you don't have to choose "Get Images".

We're running BES 5.0.3.31

Thanks again for your help guys!

-Sean
Closed Thread