Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Looking for Luxury Phone

Please Login to Remove!

Ok so this phone is expensive, its from Porsche Design, which i have grown to like their products.

My single previous BB experience consists of the BB9000. What i thought of it, at the time i operated on, was that Battery was weak, BBOS4-5 was buggy. Other than that, BB phones are professional looking, have good contact database, and neat calling features.

What i'm looking for at this time.

High Capacity battery. I don't want to have to charge my phone every couple of days. I want it to at least 4-5 days on Standby.

High Call Quality and clear speaker, so i can hear it when its ringing, and its on my shoulderbag.

Also what are its disadvantages against the leading 9900?

Would you recommend to someone this phone? Or will my hard earned money amount to nothing?
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Looking for Luxury Phone

Your asking for a phone that lasts days without charging but do not indicate how you use it. Apps draw battery power and so does the radio when it is searching for a signal. I would look for a phone that meets your expectations. Check the specifications of other phones besides a blackberry but don't be surprised if they are over rated and your disappointed.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:42 AM   #3
DetVarSoerens

Model: 9900
PIN: 29025BCC
Carrier: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by therock003 View Post
High Capacity battery. I don't want to have to charge my phone every couple of days. I want it to at least 4-5 days on Standby.
It will only last 1-2 days if you use it normally, 4-5 days is utopia.. I have to charge my bb9900 every day, and I only talk and text, (and facebook app sometimes shortly)

But you can get a cool cradle that you can place you bb in on your desk, looks good and charges
Old 09-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

If you are looking for a luxury phone with a good battery, then do not get a smartphone at all. Get a Vertu, Ulysse Nardin or TAG Heuer.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetVarSoerens View Post
It will only last 1-2 days if you use it normally, 4-5 days is utopia.. I have to charge my bb9900 every day, and I only talk and text, (and facebook app sometimes shortly)

But you can get a cool cradle that you can place you bb in on your desk, looks good and charges
My 9900 never lasted a day; it all depends on the apps. If you use IM products a lot, kiss battery life goodbye. Same with BT and WiFi.

4-5 days? That's not utopia, that's impossible - at least in my experience.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

a feature phonecan last 5 days, my razr did if i did not use it
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #7
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

My 950 lasted a week. Then I replaced the AA battery in it
Those were the days.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottyrope View Post
a feature phonecan last 5 days, my razr did if i did not use it
They also made some of those RAZR phones in gold tone.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
They also made some of those RAZR phones in gold tone.

http://www.mobilegazette.com/images/...r-v3i-gold.jpg
Yep, the Dolce & Gabbana one. I had one of those.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:34 PM   #10
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Motorola also made the Aura. Simple but high-end "luxury" phones with great battery life.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:05 PM   #11
Colonel Panic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

$2,250.00 with RIM's future as murky as it is and battery life is the main issue? Or did I misunderstand the original post?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM   #12
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

My 9900 lasts 4-5 days, if I leave it off.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Motorola also made the Aura. Simple but high-end "luxury" phones with great battery life.
That was a gorgeous phone.
Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 AM   #14
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Your asking for a phone that lasts days without charging but do not indicate how you use it. Apps draw battery power and so does the radio when it is searching for a signal. I would look for a phone that meets your expectations. Check the specifications of other phones besides a blackberry but don't be surprised if they are over rated and your disappointed.
I will only use it for text and sms and feature specific with phone functionality. I have an iphone for apps and internet, so these doesnt concern me. I'm only thinking of this Phone, since its stylish, sleek looking, and BB tends to have a nice phone experience.

I dont care about Cameras and other technical stuff that dont have anything to do with mobile phone features.

I mentioned Battery Time, cause i have a Nokia Asha 200, with dual-sim, and can last 5 days easy. It can even go 2 weeks and more on standby. Of course its not a smartphone, with apps running and high technology processors that need juice, but it has left my mind at ease about overnight charging. I even went on a 3 day trip without having to carry the charge. I talked several hours, and when i got back it lasted an additional day! (37 days nominal standby time).

Nokia Asha 200 specs

But other than that its a bad phone. It has low user-experience (nothing to do and to tweak), you cant hear what the other person is saying, the calling tunes dont sound right, and its plastic casing looks nothing more than the cheap phone that it really is. All these leave a gap making the 9981 #1 contender to fill it.

Battery times specs for this phone give a 5.5 talk time, which isnt much really, and i cannot find conclusive evidence as to what its standby time is.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:04 AM   #15
stevew
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Koodo Mobile

You won't like the Porche Design phone either. It's a 9900 with a fancy casing. Battery life is the same as the 9900. It is very pretty, but it's still just a 9900. Wait for the BB10...maybe they'll release a Porche Design phone in that series. It just it what it is.

Previously owned:
At least 17+ different BB's since 1999 -- too many to list...
Old 09-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #16
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
I will only use it for text and sms and feature specific with phone functionality. I have an iphone for apps and internet, so these doesnt concern me. I'm only thinking of this Phone, since its stylish, sleek looking, and BB tends to have a nice phone experience.

I dont care about Cameras and other technical stuff that dont have anything to do with mobile phone features.

I mentioned Battery Time, cause i have a Nokia Asha 200, with dual-sim, and can last 5 days easy. It can even go 2 weeks and more on standby. Of course its not a smartphone, with apps running and high technology processors that need juice, but it has left my mind at ease about overnight charging. I even went on a 3 day trip without having to carry the charge. I talked several hours, and when i got back it lasted an additional day! (37 days nominal standby time).

Nokia Asha 200 specs

But other than that its a bad phone. It has low user-experience (nothing to do and to tweak), you cant hear what the other person is saying, the calling tunes dont sound right, and its plastic casing looks nothing more than the cheap phone that it really is. All these leave a gap making the 9981 #1 contender to fill it.

Battery times specs for this phone give a 5.5 talk time, which isnt much really, and i cannot find conclusive evidence as to what its standby time is.
You really need to take my advice from earlier. Vertu, Ulysse Nardin, TAG Heuer, etc. This will give you what you want, and you will be exclusive. Or, better yet, get a custom made Bell Perre www.bellperre.com. You can even get an Arabic keypad from them. Honestly, even an older Nokia Sapphire Arte would meet your expectations.

Last edited by dc/dc; 09-29-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Old 09-30-2012, 06:00 AM   #17
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
You really need to take my advice from earlier. Vertu, Ulysse Nardin, TAG Heuer, etc. This will give you what you want, and you will be exclusive. Or, better yet, get a custom made Bell Perre BELLPERRE Website | Timeless Luxury Phones | Luxury Mobile Phones | Luxury Phone. You can even get an Arabic keypad from them. Honestly, even an older Nokia Sapphire Arte would meet your expectations.
Ok lets get more into this matter.

How much do those phone cost? IT seems that they will go way more than p9981. Which is certainly a no-go (for me). I'm not a rich guy. Just a guy craving a phone having a budget slightly more than half of what it costs (900 eur). So money is of course an important parameter.

Secondly, i don't specifically need the functions of a smartphone, but i do not want a plain UI with nothing to do either. BBOS has nice features concerning phone functionality. The other features that do not have anything to do with it, i will simply not use.

Exclusivity. I dont want to be exclusive in the sense that i have something unique that noone else has. Even if few people have it, i dont mind. Its not like its an iphone, where you see it in every street. I can do with its limited availability.

I appreciate your input. I am just stating my reasons of how the alternatives might not work for me. I wasnt aware that ulysse nardin contributed to phones. I've only seen its watches, and i can also add i'm a big fan of them. Belle Perre i didnt even know by name. Looks good though.

Another thing i want to add is, i like qwerty keyboard for texting and quick text input (when taking notes, writing memos, etc). I also like the feature when you can call right off the home screen, where you press the name characters and it searches for contact name on the spot. These are things I definitely want in a phone.

Rebuttal?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Ok lets get more into this matter.

How much do those phone cost? IT seems that they will go way more than p9981. Which is certainly a no-go (for me). I'm not a rich guy. Just a guy craving a phone having a budget slightly more than half of what it costs (900 eur). So money is of course an important parameter.

Secondly, i don't specifically need the functions of a smartphone, but i do not want a plain UI with nothing to do either. BBOS has nice features concerning phone functionality. The other features that do not have anything to do with it, i will simply not use.

Exclusivity. I dont want to be exclusive in the sense that i have something unique that noone else has. Even if few people have it, i dont mind. Its not like its an iphone, where you see it in every street. I can do with its limited availability.

I appreciate your input. I am just stating my reasons of how the alternatives might not work for me. I wasnt aware that ulysse nardin contributed to phones. I've only seen its watches, and i can also add i'm a big fan of them. Belle Perre i didnt even know by name. Looks good though.

Another thing i want to add is, i like qwerty keyboard for texting and quick text input (when taking notes, writing memos, etc). I also like the feature when you can call right off the home screen, where you press the name characters and it searches for contact name on the spot. These are things I definitely want in a phone.

Rebuttal?
I assumed you had a higher budget. Sorry for the wrong assumption. Vertu devices run approximately €3000-30.000. TAG devices are less, and I'm not sure on the UN or BP ones.

The issue we have is that pretty much everything you're asking for in a device is contradictory to another. A QWERTY keyboard pretty much means a smartphone, which shoots your battery needs and simplicity down. Keep your iPhone for your high power stuff, and get a nice candy bar, flip, or slider for your other uses. I have a Nokia 7900 Prism that I use for this purpose.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #19
therock003
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
I assumed you had a higher budget. Sorry for the wrong assumption. Vertu devices run approximately €3000-30.000. TAG devices are less, and I'm not sure on the UN or BP ones.

The issue we have is that pretty much everything you're asking for in a device is contradictory to another. A QWERTY keyboard pretty much means a smartphone, which shoots your battery needs and simplicity down. Keep your iPhone for your high power stuff, and get a nice candy bar, flip, or slider for your other uses. I have a Nokia 7900 Prism that I use for this purpose.
No it does not mean that. The Nokia Asha 200 i currently got has a qwerty keyb, and is not a smartphone in any way. Its more of a dumb phone!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #20
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
No it does not mean that. The Nokia Asha 200 i currently got has a qwerty keyb, and is not a smartphone in any way. Its more of a dumb phone!
Not to argue, but my statement is correct. I would say that approximately 95% of the mobiles on market with a QWERTY keyboard are smartphones (which qualifies as "pretty much"), and if they're not, they're nowhere near luxury.

Regardless, my other statements and advice still stand. However, have you considered getting another iPhone and just shutting off mobile data? With mobile data shut off, the battery will last several days, and if you want it to be exclusive and more luxury, you can always order a new body from cnn.cn.