Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 01:29 AM   #1
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Priv
Carrier: T-Mobile
Exclamation BlackBerry Etiquette - AskMen.com Version

Please Login to Remove!

I just found this over at BBHub and found it very interesting. It's AskMen.Com's version of proper BlackBerry Etiquette:
Quote:
  • Use an email filter to only get the emails you need to.
  • Say no to a Bluetooth headset.
  • Leave the BlackBerry behind, or hide it well when going out.
  • Don't show it off.
  • No texts during dinner or anytime you are out with others.
  • Subtle ringers.
Okay, seriously, how unrealistic is THAT?

I've broken virtually every "rule" on that list! And I'm proud of it!

Especially that last one. For nearly 2 years, I lived with a that had "subtle ringers", and NOT by choice! My Nextel 7520 had a ridiculously underpowered speaker, especially by Nextel's standards! Even at the highest volume setting, the ringtones were barely audible in real world environments! I'm proud to say that my 8700g finally gives me a speaker WORTHY of Nextel (too bad it's NOT a Nextel , but Sprint has apparently decided not to release the Nextel 8702i that was in development) and I wouldn't have it any other way! I can finally HEAR my ringtones!

So, anyway... any of you other "CrackBerry" addicts find this etiquette as laughable as I do?

Don't steal other people's avatars! Make your own! >=(

Last edited by Jack T. Chance; 01-16-2007 at 11:42 AM..
Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #2
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Ha ha...Yeah...I have definitely broken them all.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

My wife eats that stuff up! I get the old, "Honey, put that thing away! Can you leave it alone for an hour while we eat dinner?" Then she'll see something on the Today show and lite into me with the old "I told you so" face!

That being said, I really do try to be a little less conspicuous about it when I go out....I leave the holster at home!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
My wife eats that stuff up! I get the old, "Honey, put that thing away! Can you leave it alone for an hour while we eat dinner?" Then she'll see something on the Today show and lite into me with the old "I told you so" face!

That being said, I really do try to be a little less conspicuous about it when I go out....I leave the holster at home!
While that's very easy to do with a Pearl, I'd find it a little harder to do with my 8700g. If I had a free pocket in my jacket, or if I was wearing cargo pants, I might find an extra pocket for it. But then I'd be giving up the protection of my leather pouch, which I'm loathe to do!

But if I could stand the SureType keyboard of the Pearl, that thing's slender body WOULD make it easier to slip 'er into a pocket!

Old 01-16-2007, 01:52 AM   #5
kasperapd

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Heard that many many many times myself.

Please try a Search
Old 01-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
GTOJudge

Model: 7250
Carrier: Verizon

These are all just plain common sense with the obvious exception of using a Bluetooth when you're driving. As for using a holster...that rates up there in style with pocket protecters. I always keep my Blackberry in my pocket.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
brucejr
BlackBerry Master

Model: 666
Carrier: ?

• Use an email filter to only get the emails you need to.
  • Say no to a Bluetooth headset.
  • Leave the BlackBerry behind, or hide it well when going out.
  • Don't show it off.
  • No texts during dinner or anytime you are out with others.
  • Subtle ringers.

• Email filter, I think that is called the delete button.
  • Say no the the BT headset?? Obviously from a person or persons who have never used a BT headset.
  • Leave it, or hide it?? Give me a break.
  • Don't show it off? It does that all by itself.
  • No texts?? Sorry on that one, but sometimes you just gotta text!
  • Subtle ringers? Obviously you are not going to have a gun shot ringer, or explosion ringer, but subtle? Subtle is a subjective term best defined by the user.

Who ever did the BB Etiquette discuss at AskMen.com either has never had or used a BB, or does not understand what they are. I don't leave home without mine.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:54 AM   #8
foner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

OMG! Use your device. When the Razors came out everyone was wipin' those things out like it was a pissing contest. That pretty much goes for every cool device in existence. Is there a page on ipod etiquette??!!
Sure, if your BB use raises the ire of your loved ones to that extreme a level then maybe you have a lifestyle issue (or a partner that needs to chill out a little...) Absolutely - maybe you shouldn't peep your berry at funerals or your own wedding... But most other stuff is fair game.
This reminds of a saying from a commercial years ago that couldn't fit more perfectly. Most people who don't like Chex cereal have never tried Chex cereal!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:27 AM   #9
GregH-BBPearl
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

Haha I'm with you that's unrealistic!
Besides anytime someone uses the word Etiquette I pretty much question why? I mean if my goal was to worry about how i'm perceived I would not even have a BB.
Oh and they better get ready to make a bluetooth change because most states are going to the new "No cell phone in hand while driving law" and that's when you are going to need bluetooth. Or maybe thier just not able to pare there set as they need to fix thier hair. Hehe
Old 01-17-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

i love my 7100i from nextel since they instituted wav ringtones. I love my UGA fight song its loud and I am proud. I do use vibrate when I am in the office or dining. When I am outside its wide open. And I use AOL youve got mail so I know exactly when I get those emails they are talking about filtering.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #11
blakeatl

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-mobile

My wife wants a Pearl so baddddd. She's so drooling over mines. I might be the good guy and let her have it and get the 8800 even though I swore I'd never leave my Pearl. Hmmmmmmmm.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:07 AM   #12
Blackberry_Abused
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: 32c255b5

[QUOTE=foner]Is there a page on ipod etiquette??!!
QUOTE]

I second that one!!!!
I have had my 7250 for about 6 months and been working with them for a year. And I think the ipods are worse... but yes in my short time of having a BB have broken almost all of them.

You know you are on it too much when your two year old son likes to bring it to you when you leave on the table.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Or when you are sitting at dinner in a restaurant and your 3 year old son says, "Daddy, can I use your Dingleberry, I need to email someone."

LOL
Old 01-17-2007, 10:52 AM   #14
foner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

Okay.... Now THAT'S just funny!!
Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #15
Blackberry_Abused

PIN: 32c255b5

/snorted the mouthful of diet coke through my nose after I read that post!!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 01:07 PM   #16
Alxcab

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Those "rules" are probably written by a PWd man whose woman told him to do so. They take insult to us having anything that might take any attention from them.
I carry mine everywhere and use it for anything it was designed for, if people don't like it its because they've never owned one and have no idea what they're missing.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #17
Jack T. Chance
CrackBerry Addict

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
i love my 7100i from nextel since they instituted wav ringtones. I love my UGA fight song its loud and I am proud. I do use vibrate when I am in the office or dining. When I am outside its wide open. And I use AOL youve got mail so I know exactly when I get those emails they are talking about filtering.
Dawg, that's cool! If you don't mind me asking, where'd you get your hands on the MP3 of the AOL "You've Got Mail!" clip? I used to have that alert on my Color Sidekick, and I've missed it ever since I switched to the BlackBerry! I'd love to have that alert on my device again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry_Abused
You know you are on it too much when your two year old son likes to bring it to you when you leave on the table.
Now that right there should get you the award for Father of the Year! You're definitely raising the little one right! You've got him trained really well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoUp
Or when you are sitting at dinner in a restaurant and your 3 year old son says, "Daddy, can I use your Dingleberry, I need to email someone."

LOL
LOL!!! I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

But I'd be torn on what to do in that situation. On the one hand, I'd be proud that my son wanted to use the . But on the other hand, he needs to learn that "DingleBerry" is NOT an acceptable nickname for our beloved gadget! He can call it a BlackBerry, or a "CrackBerry", but "DingleBerry" is unacceptable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxcab
Those "rules" are probably written by a PWd man whose woman told him to do so. They take insult to us having anything that might take any attention from them.
Too true, too true! Either that, or they were written by a woman... a foolish woman that has yet to use a herself! Same difference!
Quote:
I carry mine everywhere and use it for anything it was designed for, if people don't like it its because they've never owned one and have no idea what they're missing.
I agree 110%! You hit the nail right on the head!

Old 01-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
MotoUp
Thumbs Must Hurt

LOL, I'm still trying to figure out where he got Dingleberry from, but the only thing I can come up with is that he invented it when he was 2.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:23 PM   #19
BBAddict8100

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMobile

Obviously the person who wrote these etiquettes has never ever used a BB, cause if they did..they would know its impossible to put it down..I only turn off the profile when I am at church...I haven't had to go to a funeral but I would turn off the profile that too, thats about it. As for bluetooth...are you kidding me I can't live without my bluetooth, especailly for driving and when I a running around the house doing everything else.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:57 PM   #20
cmpugh
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoUp

Quality...