BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Will the lack of WiFi stop you from buying a BB Storm?
Yes, this will stop me from buying a Storm. 86 31.05%
No, I still plan to buy a Storm. 136 49.10%
Indifferent. This is not an important feature to me. 55 19.86%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #41
lailla

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Fido

Please Login to Remove!

I think, it is a very bad move by RIM not to include wifi on storm. It will definately prevent me from buying one.

I need wifi, when traveling to a conference. I don't want to pay for roaming charges and all conferences have free wifi hotspots. Basically, roaming internationally is an issue for me...

I am in Canada. All providers here cap the amount of download I am allowed.. I want to be connected to the last.fm radio when on the wifi hotspot without having to worry about the phone bill..

I hope to see RIM change their decision on wifi, till then, I will stick to an iPhone.
Old 11-01-2008, 11:26 PM   #42
phone_caller
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon

With the EVDO on the Storm, is it possible to talk and use Internet simultaneously?
Old 11-02-2008, 07:30 AM   #43
thunderstorm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: Private
Carrier: Optus

Wi-Fi is a joke in Australia. The Storm is going to shake the Apple tree and I for one will be buying it. Yes, Bold is beautiful, but I'm sooooo looking forward to also getting the Storm.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #44
Mark_Venture
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile (w) - Verizon (P)

The Storm/9530 from Verizon not having WiFi is not a deal breaker for me... In fact, to me it doesn't matter at all that the Verizon Storm/9350 wont have Wi-Fi.

Because....
  • I don't plan on buying one to unlock and use on a dffierent wireless carrier
  • Verizon has EVDO rev A which is nice and fast.
  • I don't plan on traveling outside the USA.
  • I don't make use of the Wi-Fi on my T-Mo BB 8320 that I use for work.
  • Even on my T-Mobile Curve/8320 from work, that I use with our BES, I don't subscribe to, or make use of T-Mo's HotSpot@Home, or UMA features, and Verizon doesn't offer H@H or UMA service
  • I don't make use of VoIP products like Truphone or other VoIP client software.
  • I'm used to GPRS and EDGE on my T-Mo BB (used for work, and with our BES), so if I do travel outside the USA, I wont mind browsing at EDGE speeds.
  • its mobile phone, if using WiFi, I can only be mobile within a short distance of the Wi-Fi hot spot. That kind of defeates the "MOBILE" phone aspect, don't ya think?
  • Other than ring tones, pictures and themes, I don't download anything to my BB (even when using a VZW Pearl/8130 or Curve/8330 on my personal line), and for that EVDO Rev A or Rev 0 is fine.
  • EVDO Rev 0 is fine on my VZW Pearl/8130 and Curve/8330. The Storm will have Rev A, so it should be just as good, and faster if/where Rev A is available.
  • Everywhere I've traveled in the last 4 years, Verizon has had EVDO service.
  • BB data plan is "unlimited" (VZW caps at about 5 gig), and I'm not going to hit that just using the blackberry itself.
That being said...

If I was planning on buying a Storm to use on a different wireless carrier... Then maybe, just maybe, Wi-Fi might be important. But again, using it would restrict my mobility.

If T-Mobile offers a Storm, I would like it to have Wi-Fi just so people have the option of using it with HotSpot@home.

-> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-02-2008 at 09:32 AM..
Old 11-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #45
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

what about a 9520 version coming to Rogers with wi-fi?
Old 11-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #46
muratcolakoglu
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Vodafone

Wi-Fi is a must for me. Then I will wait for storm with wi-fi.

Last edited by muratcolakoglu; 11-09-2008 at 12:39 PM..
Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #47
jhferry

Model: 8830

I don't understand gimping the WiFi. User at work like to use it, especially the NY users who are in buildings with bad reception. They could just use the Wifi to get out.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #48
GT5L
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: askme
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (bb8320TMO)

Wifi or no wifi what's the difference if vzw does not offer uma. Wifi is only for web surfing in the absence of uma, and I personally would rather surf the web, when at home, on my laptop instead of my Blackberry™.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #49
RedBxstr

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheIndian View Post
wifi is passe, comparable to dial-up internet
In what solar system is WIFI passe???
Just because Verizon chooses to screw subscribers by eliminating WIFI access does not make it passe. WIFI for those of us that have it, would not live without it. Verizon must have you brainwashed. I'd buy the unlocked GSM version if it has WIFI.

Last edited by RedBxstr; 11-10-2008 at 10:24 AM..
Old 11-11-2008, 12:14 AM   #50
Arcangel

Model: APPLE
Carrier: AT&T white 32G iPhone 3GS

Ok there seem to be many misinformed judgmental people in this thread. 1) Independent testing has shown that wifi on cellular devices is par with EVDO REV A. So wifi is not needed. 2) finding a free wifi spot is spotty at best. If its gonna be at home or work why bother. 3) I CANT STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!! It's quad- band GSM which includes HSUDPA!!! That's 3.5 G in europe ETC so that is faster than ATT right now. So please if you are going to speak on a subject get informed first! Don't just bash a device or people on a network with ignorant claims and rants!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:45 PM   #51
dkranes

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Don't get me wrong, I love my VZW 8830 - I've had it since June 2007. But YES, lack of WIFI will definitely stop me from purchasing the Storm. The only place I would use WIFI is at work since I get very poor reception there - but nonetheless it is important. Therefore, to me WIFI is more important than the pretty touchscreen. I understand others feel differently...to each their own. I don't know when I'll get a new phone or what it will be, but I know this - it will have WIFI.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM   #52
randynchicago

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I cannot believe they are trying to release a phone comparable to the iPhone and did not put WiFi in it. What the hell was RIM thinking? And if Verizon said no to it, then why the hell would they go with Verizon?

My God, these cell phone makers and providers must be a dumb group of people. Not just RIM, but all of them...How smart do you have to be to know what customers want?

Honestly, why doesn't someone from RIM come out and say the reason there is no WiFi? My Curve has it and I use it ALL THE TIME.

I am so annoyed...After getting all excited about such a cool phone then the news of no WiFi? My God, I hope someone was fired for making this decision final. The poll may say only 28% will not buy a Storm because the lack of WiFi - but I bet that number is nowhere close to reality and especially after those people that said yes they would still buy a Storm have done research and want to change their answer.

iPhone killer? Nope. Too bad - I really thought RIM would have it in em to release something great...not yet, and I'm getting sick of waiting. Please don't make me buy an iPhone! Seriously, please don't!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 PM   #53
MajSingh

Model: 8900
PIN: 24b2b982
Carrier: ATT

If i didn't work in a place where wifi is my only option, then it wouldn't matter for me either....since I do have to deal with this situation I will have to say "YES"
Old 11-14-2008, 07:21 PM   #54
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcangel View Post
Not only am I getting the Storm but I will be the first to have it that day and at a discounted price thanks to my connection at VZW
bully for you dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by roofus; 11-14-2008 at 07:23 PM..
Old 11-19-2008, 02:19 AM   #55
papageno19

Model: 9530

I agree that Wi-Fi might be a deal breaker outside the US due to coverage etc. but for me Verizon picks up pretty much everywhere (and I live in the middle of nowhere) and the EV-DO speed is more than enough for what I plan on using the phone for (It's not like I'm going to be doing hardcore gaming on it or downloading huge files directly off the net). I read somewhere that the 9530 wouldnt have Wi-Fi because the CDMA technology doesn't play well with the Wi-Fi standard.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #56
StuartV

Model: 9550

For you who want to use WiFi at home or work, there might be a solution. Go to Amazon.com and search for "bluetooth router".
Verizon 9550
Old 11-19-2008, 11:13 AM   #57
B~B

Model: 9530
Carrier: Vzw

only time i find wifi useful on my 8320 is when i'm on the phone and still want to send/receive emails. without wifi i have to wait until i'm finished the call for emailing. either way it's not a big deal because if there's wifi around then i'm usually near a computer where i can email. tried using uma but it never worked well no matter what os i've loaded so it's not an issue. wifi does seem faster than EDGE for me when browsing. that said, i think i can live without wifi...as long as verizon's 3g lives up to the hype.
Closed Thread