Bosko.Schwartz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Question Noob with a TON of Questions

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

Forgive me if these questions have already been answered (probably 1000 times over), but I did search for these things and couldn't quite find answers to my specific problems, so I figured I'd ask them all at once.

Just got a BB Curve 8900 and I'm on T-Mo. So far I love it, but there are some things I would like to do but can't seem to figure out. So here are all of my questions (for now ):
  • I just set up my MS Outlook sync on BES. As of now, e-mails that I delete on my BB or work e-mail are not deleting on the other. I have heard of an option called "Hard Delete Reconciliation" which is supposed to fix this problem, but I do not know where it is found. I am not even sure if this is done on the BB or the PC. Even Yahoo is smart enough to reconcile messages, so I am sure Outlook should be able to do it.
  • Why do all messages of any kind get filtered into the generic "Messages" box? I want to keep my work and personal e-mails separate. Yahoo has its own icon, which is perfect, because I can just go to Yahoo and know that only Yahoo messages will be there. Why can't I do this for Outlook? Can I create an icon/folder just for Outlook so I can do the same thing? Then, it won't matter that all messages go to the "Messages" folder, because they are reconciled when I go into the other folder. Stop me if I am not making sense (highly probable).
  • Speaking of keeping things separate, is there a way to manage contacts so that business and personal contacts can be kept in separate folders? If so, how? I see the "Filter" option in contacts for either Business or Personal, but can't seem to find a way to tag each contact with the correct label so it knows which is Biz and which is Personal.
  • I see the UMA icon on when I am at home, but I was under the impression that this option was only available if purchased (which I did not). If it says "UMA," does that mean that when I make calls from home, they are using Wi-Fi and not using my minutes?
  • Here's a minor one. I accidentally did something weird with the ALT and CAPS keys, and now when I push the CAPS key, it turns on Spanish and has a little "ES" symbol on the top right. Now I can't do all caps anymore. How can I fix this?

Well, I guess that wasn't a TON of questions, but I am sure there will be more. Thanks in advance, and please forgive my NOOB-ness!

Last edited by Bosko.Schwartz; 08-21-2009 at 05:45 PM..
Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

Firstly, Im notsure, talk to your BES admin.

second, because MESSAGES is a catch all. you need to either ask you BES admin to create a BES mailbox icon (which is server wide) or google empower to create a BES mailbox icon and then you can hide the messages icon.

third, contact - edit.
then chose category
this is the filter.

fourth - No, UMA is included and does use your minutes i believe

fifth - options - localisation
input langauges selector to none

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
usblues1965
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 30282BE0
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

I can only help you with a couple of these as I'm not familiar with UMA or BES. As for seperate messages. The home screen on the default themes only has one message folder, but if you press the BB key to open the applications every e-maila acct has its own icon. You click on that icon to veiw those messages only. As for contacts. Select a contact from your address book, press the BB key - edit - BB key key again - categories. There you will see the buttons for business or personal. As for message reconcilation select the message the click the bb button then delete you should see options for on hand held , mailbox and handheld etc. Select the one you want to perform.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #4
usblues1965

Wirelessly posted

And what midnight raven said for the language thing. LOL!

Dang your fast midnight!
Old 08-21-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

UMA: if you didn't sign up for the additional @home plan with Tmobile, you can still use UMA to make and receive calls over wifi. It'll just come out of your allotted minutes. If you do have the plan ($9.99/month), then calls over UMA are free.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I am!

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 08-21-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

For your first problem. Go into your message menu, then options, then email reconciliation, then choose delete on...mailbox&handset
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Bosko.Schwartz

Smile Thanks!

Wow, that was quick, everyone! THANK YOU!!! Let me try these things and I will keep you posted!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #9
usblues1965

Wirelessly posted

Welcome to the forums! Glad we can help!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Bosko.Schwartz

Question Google Empower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightdraven View Post
or google empower to create a BES mailbox icon and then you can hide the messages icon.
So how do I use Google Empower to create an icon???
Old 08-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Bosko.Schwartz

Smile Uma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
UMA: if you didn't sign up for the additional @home plan with Tmobile, you can still use UMA to make and receive calls over wifi. It'll just come out of your allotted minutes. If you do have the plan ($9.99/month), then calls over UMA are free.
Got it -- THANKS!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko.Schwartz View Post
So how do I use Google Empower to create an icon???
He meant Google (as in the verb) Empower to find Empower's web site and download their BES Mailbox app which is designed to set up an icon on your BB for your BES mailbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosko.Schwartz View Post
I just set up my MS Outlook sync on BES. As of now, e-mails that I delete on my BB or work e-mail are not deleting on the other. I have heard of an option called "Hard Delete Reconciliation" which is supposed to fix this problem, but I do not know where it is found. I am not even sure if this is done on the BB or the PC. Even Yahoo is smart enough to reconcile messages, so I am sure Outlook should be able to do it.
Outlook and Yahoo aren't the ones that reconcile. BES and BIS do. Check your delete settings as mentioned above by Sydman. Also make sure that Wireless Reconciliation is enabled. Go to Messages->Options->Email Reconciliation for both.

Hard delete reconciliation only helps if hard deletes (done via Outlook) are causing your reconciliation problems. While they may be contributing to your problems they're not the only cause. As you stated, deletions on the BB don't reconcile. You can avoid hard deletes by not emptying Deleted Items in Outlook immediately after deleting items and by not using (IIRC) Shift-Delete.

How long are you giving deletions a chance to reconcile? Do they reconcile if you choose Reconcile Now from the menu in Messages?

Last edited by takeshi; 08-21-2009 at 11:23 PM..
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #13
Bosko.Schwartz

Default Issues Fixed

Thanks, Takeshi, and everyone who responded. Turns out some of the features were actually turned off and there were technical issues I had to fix by actually calling T-Mobile. All is good now. Thanks for your help! I do have a question about messages, which I will post in a new topic.
Closed Thread