Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
UKIB

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: 02
Default Blackberry Pin?

Please Login to Remove!

I have heard many people go on about there Blackberry Pin? What is this all about and what benefits does it offer? Thx
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

the PIN is like a screenname on AIM or YIM. it basically allows you to send IM's and PIN Messages (just like emails) to eachother without the mail servers in the middle
Old 09-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

The PIN is the unique Personal Identification Number for each BlackBerry. Like snowflakes, no two are alike.

PIN messaging is a BlackBerry-to-BlackBerry kind of instant message. A major advantage is that it's part of your data package, therefore you don't get charged for an SMS each time you send/receive one.

You can send individual PIN messages to anyone whose PIN you know, just like a text message or email. Open the general Messages folder, hit the Menu key, and choose Compose PIN. Sent and received PIN messages show up colored red to distinguish them from other messages.

The other way to use PIN messages is through BlackBerry Messenger (BBM). This is a true IM client like AOL Instant Messenger, but again, it uses the PIN messaging system. BBM groups your messages into a conversation like AOL IM, or Apple's iChat.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #4
feherm81

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile
Default PIN to PIN messaging

Hi there

I just got my BB 8320 on ebay and I was trying to using BB messenger but it doesn't work. I sent a request to my friend's pin and it didn't appear on her device. On mine is still showing pending.
Is it true that in order to use BB messenger you have to have a BB data plan? I don't have a personal email account configured and when I contacted Tmobile to help me they said that I have to set up an internet connection and an email account.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot
Old 09-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by feherm81 View Post
Hi there

I just got my BB 8320 on ebay and I was trying to using BB messenger but it doesn't work. I sent a request to my friend's pin and it didn't appear on her device. On mine is still showing pending.
Is it true that in order to use BB messenger you have to have a BB data plan? I don't have a personal email account configured and when I contacted Tmobile to help me they said that I have to set up an internet connection and an email account.
Any suggestions?
Thanks a lot
Yeah, a legit BlackBerry data plan is needed to use BBM. It authenticates through RIM's servers. You need the BIS plan, but I don't think you have to set up an email account. If you do need one, they give you an account like [email address]. You can set it up on the BIS page after you have the BIS data plan on your account and simply uncheck the box for "forward mail to handheld".
Closed Thread