Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
javman88

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2
Default Rain contaminated 8900

Please Login to Remove!

If you were in London today (15th Sep) you will have witnessed the rain. Now what I've gone and done is had a long convo in this rain

Now my blackberry switches on fine, but the keys do not respond at all. I'm guess the keyboard has been destroyed

I've got the warranty and have sent the phone off for repairs. The water damaged indicator aren't pink and dont indicate damage. But I know that the keyboard has been effected solely because of the rain

My question is whether this particular type of water damage is repairable, since the phone still switches on and only the keyboard does not respond? I dont mind paying the O2 repairs team for their efforts, but I dont wanna dish out another 350 pounds on a new berry. I'm just wondering that it'd make sense to be able to just replace the keyboard part?

Thank you all for you help, very much appreciated
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
usblues1965
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: 30282BE0
Carrier: verizon

Wirelessly posted

You might try contacting Horizon Wireless. They could tell if its worth the trouble.

In my feeble mind I would think a keyboard could be replaced. Just rember tho my mind is feeble.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Drying it out at least overnight might bring it back. Battery out though. Somewhere warm but not hot would be ideal, like near a heating vent. You might also put it in a container with some uncooked white rice and leave it for a day. That seems to draw out moisture.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #4
javman88

Carrier: O2

Thanks a lot to the both of you, really appreciate it

Lets see what the repairs people say
Old 01-16-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
bbaddicted1

Carrier: o2
Unhappy bb maybe water damage?

i have a blackberyy curve 8900, took it into the shower to listen to music, came out had a called face a bit still wet, later letters started messing up on leypad, ill press 'a' then au comes up, after a while 'n' jus kept comming up on my keypad lock, took battery out numerous times, didnt think to look online, now phone keypad does not work track ball still scrolls up and dwn but cant open or close applications, water damage indicator back of phone still white, tried rice for 48 didnt work, heater for 3 days didnt work, i think i may have short circuited it, any advice?

i was gna send it off to an online repair to try and salvage it, it wasnt dropped in water or anything aignificant its annoying!!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 AM   #6
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Looks like water damage. Never bring it into the shower, just being in that room with you could give it moisture damage from the steam. If you spoke on it with a wet face that possibly contributed to it more. The minute it got moist the battery should have been taken out and it should have been put in some rice. The heater may make the damage worse.

You might be done for.

And please start your own thread next time, this one is quite old that you've brought up.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Nothing is so important that the phone needs to be in the shower with you.
If the carrier detects water damage you will spend a lot of money to learn a lesson.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:44 PM   #8
nicollealexis

Model: 7100T
Carrier: Verizon

There are a lot of different tricks to use when you get water damage.... Take it all apaprt, use qtips, dry it all off that way then stick it in a bowl of rice, which sucks out some of the water... Is this the kind of advice you were lookin for?
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Drying it out at least overnight might bring it back. Battery out though. Somewhere warm but not hot would be ideal, like near a heating vent. You might also put it in a container with some uncooked white rice and leave it for a day. That seems to draw out moisture.

Rambo said that already.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
wukadon

Model: 8820
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by javman88
If you were in London today (15th Sep) you will have witnessed the rain. Now what I've gone and done is had a long convo in this rain

Now my blackberry switches on fine, but the keys do not respond at all. I'm guess the keyboard has been destroyed

I've got the warranty and have sent the phone off for repairs. The water damaged indicator aren't pink and dont indicate damage. But I know that the keyboard has been effected solely because of the rain

My question is whether this particular type of water damage is repairable, since the phone still switches on and only the keyboard does not respond? I dont mind paying the O2 repairs team for their efforts, but I dont wanna dish out another 350 pounds on a new berry. I'm just wondering that it'd make sense to be able to just replace the keyboard part?

Thank you all for you help, very much appreciated
Hey my friend all u have to do is get about one pound of rice from the store, take the battery off and stick your phone in the middle of the bag of rice, therefore your phone is covered in rice. Let it sit for about 12 hrs. You can do this for any electronics that got wet.Trust me it works
Old 01-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #11
Noodle22

wukadon, if you had looked at the other replies on this thread, you would have realized you are giving him the same advice that has been given to him multiple times.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

5 times
Old 01-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #13
BB2iP

Model: 8300
Carrier: telus
Default fine print

I just had a run around with Telus in Canada over my Blackberry. My indicator had turned color, but my phone had never been wet. My phone worked fine other than the scroll wheel was jumpy. I had paid an extra 100 dollars for a no hassle warranty, but never read the fine print.

According to Telus, "any sign of water damage to your Blackberry" and they listed off all the ways your Blackberry could be exposed to moisture, like "humidity, wet grass, perspiration, fog, rain, snow,..." Any of these elements exposed to your Blackberry automatically void your warranty, no questions asked! According to Telus, "even if the problem with your Blackberry is not water related, the very fact that your phone was exposed to any of those elements voids all warranty". If I chose to take my chances, I would have to give them my credit card number and if the technician that looked at my phone was having a bad day, I would automatically be billed 500 dollars without any consultation.

I thought I was being given the run around by Telus so I asked for a Blackberry contact and was told Blackberry does not take calls from customers.

So, I am fumbling through the last few months of my contract on my Blackberry, and am switching brands and carriers. I'm on my 3rd Blackberry and have been a huge advocate of their product for years, but have no choice but to switch to the competition after service like this.

I hope you have better success than I did.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Noodle22

Is your issue with BlackBerry or your carrier?

No carrier covers water damage with the manufacturers warranty, and all manufacturers have this as part of their warranties.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:51 AM   #15
tsac
BlackBerry God

The 8300 has a trackball. it is easy to replace or clean. The ball gets dirty or picks up body oil and will become flakey.
This is one forun post, read it for info.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...pic-guide.html

By the way, you won't find a carrier with a replace it no matter what offer. At lease one with a reasonable price.
Closed Thread