BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Dev2100

Default Connecting RIM Simulator to Real MDS.

Please Login to Remove!

I have JDE installed on my machine as well as we have our own BES 3.6
installed in our location. Now I need to know how RIM Simulator can talk with Real MDS and not MDS simulator.
Please .........
-Kiran[/b]
Old 02-18-2005, 08:33 PM   #2
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

That won't work. To connect to a real MDS you would have to add the handheld to the BES and provision it. ...And you can't.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:55 AM   #3
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

With 3.6 you cannot do it. However, with 4.0 you can:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...7&vernum=1
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 02-22-2005, 11:12 AM   #4
Dev2100

Thanx it works
Old 12-08-2005, 06:26 AM   #5
_driver
No longer Registered.

Model: 7520

I can connect simulator to desktop manager, but how can I connect simulator to BES server ?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:49 PM   #6
emailGuy

Model: 7290
Default Cannot get network connection to BES server

I'm very new to the JDE and Device Simulator so I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I have the 4.1 JDE and Simulator installed. I want to connect the simulator to a real 4.x BES server. I have added a user to the server and assigned an activation password. I followed the instructions from the Help file and the BlackBerry Knowledge database about making a USB connection to the Desktop Manager software to generate encryption keys. After that I tried to activate the device, but it never connects to the server.

I noticed that the simulator says it's connected to the GPRS Test Network. I also noticed that the gprs letters next to the antenna strength are in lower case, not in upper case. This tells me the device is not "registered" on a carrier network. How do you configure the simulator to simulate an actual carrier network so that it can connect to a real BES server through the RIM data center like a real BlackBerry.

I'm also wondering if I need to change the PIN for the simulator. It seems to have a default value. I think it would be a real problem if more than one person is using the simulator with the same PIN number. Does anyone know how to change the PIN? How do I make sure the PIN I create is not already in use by a real BlackBerry?
Old 12-10-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

While you can connect the simulator to a real BES, you cannot fully emulate the environment. With a real device, the device connects thru the carrier to the RIM relay and your BES. However, with a simulator, you cannot connect to the relay and/or carrier.

For this reason, there is no need to change the PIN #. However, if you want to, you can do this via Edit - Preferences - Simulator. Change the Profile to something other than the default and edit the command line on the Advanced tab.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 12-22-2005, 01:17 PM   #8
emailGuy

Model: 7290

If I can't connect using the RIM relay, how do I connect the simulator to a real BES?
Old 01-20-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
vaibhavi

Model: 7230
Default Enterprise activation for the simulator fails and gives error : Server not responding

I cannot connect the simulator to the BES server. Enterprise activation does not happen automatically. If I try to do wireless activation it gives the following error "Server not responding. Please contact your system administrator."

I have the 4.1 JDE and Simulator installed. I also have a real 4.x BES server. I referred to the simulator user guide/help and followed the steps given to connect my simulator to the BES. After the step "In the Initial Plug-in: Verifying Applications dialog box, click cancel." the guide states that "When the initial synchronization with the computer is complete, the enterprise activation starts. You will then be able to simulate use of the BES Extension API, applied IT policies, email traffic, browser traffic, HTTP/TCP connections, WICA, and push functionality."

But this does not happen- enterprise activation does not start. Hence I tried wireless activation. On the BES server the PIN is recognized sucessfully for the user. From the BES manager, for this user, generated enterprise activation password. On the simulator, provided the userid and password and clicked on "Activate". The screen shows Activating for 10-15 mins and then gives the error "erver not responding. Please contact your system administrator. "

Apart from trying it with the JDE, I also tried this by installing Blackberry device simulators 4.1.0 (used 7130e simulator), but I still get the same error.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:13 PM   #10
bumpert

Model: pearl
Carrier: rogers

I would like to know how to do too, cause i'm not able following the instructions...
Old 03-16-2007, 10:47 PM   #11
slundy

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint
Question

Ok, so according to some of the posts folks got it to work. I haven't tried it yet but will when I get back to work on Monday.

We have a 2000 user base where I'm at and instead of just me and another guy doing the support in our region we're going to start showing other techs how to activate devices etc. W/o having to borrow a users' device and pass it around to 12 different people while it's activating, is there a way to do this using the simulator that I can then connect to a TV so they can watch what happens during an activation?

I've used simulators mainly to take screen shots of walkthroughs for our clients on changing their preferences, or date/time settings, and things like that.

We have BES 4.0 running and when I clicked the link in the above post BB says it's not found. I've got all of the simulators from 4.0 to 4.2 on my machine at work, and would like to just to be able to get one device 'activated' and then show the other techs some of the more popular issues myself and my assistant see more often so they can solve or help the client through the issue themselves instead of pulling us away from our own work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

I found the link but haven't made enough posts in this forum to enable me to post links....

do a google search for "Blackberry Activation Simulation"

Then click on the 3rd entry, it should have this forum as the first two entries, then an entry from Blackberry.

Unless someone has a better way of doing it, I'm gonna try this one...

Last edited by slundy; 03-16-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Old 03-16-2007, 11:03 PM   #12
slundy

Carrier: Sprint
Here's the text from the Blackberry web page. Hope this helps those of you out that didn't get answers wherever you were looking!

I'm just wondering if this will allow me to go through and show the different settings in Messages, like Email Reconciliation, etc. that aren't there until you activate...guess I'll find out monday....

Quote:
How To - Connect the BlackBerry Simulator to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server
Last Updated: 22 June 2006
Article Number: DB-00049
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Summary
This article applies to the following:

BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ 4.0 and later
BlackBerry® Java™ Development Environment (JDE)
BlackBerry Simulator 4.0 and later
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Procedure
Using the BlackBerry JDE 4.0 (or BlackBerry Simulator 4.0), the BlackBerry Simulator can be connected to an account on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server.

Run the BlackBerry Simulator from the JDE or from the Start menu.
In the BlackBerry Simulator, click Turn Wireless Off.
Open BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.0 or later.
Open BlackBerry Device Manager 4.0 or later.
From the BlackBerry Simulator, click Simulate and select USB Connected or Serial Connected.
Select YES to switch to the new BlackBerry wireless device.
Follow the instructions to generate a new encryption key.
On the Initial Plug-in: Verifying Applications dialog box, click Cancel.
Once the initial synchronization is complete, the enterprise activation begins.
After the enterprise activation is complete, you will be able to use the BlackBerry Simulator like a regular BlackBerry device.

Note: Additionally, you may need to remove the net_rim_sdk_simulationSB.cod file from the BlackBerry Simulator directory. However, do not delete this COD file because you will need to restore it if you use the BlackBerry Simulator with the Email Server Simulator (ESS). After doing so, delete the DMP files from the BlackBerry Simulator directory, start the BlackBerry Simulator, and repeat the steps above.

To verify that the BlackBerry Simulator has connected to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server using Serial Bypass, complete the following steps:

In BlackBerry Device Manager, click the Statistics tab.
If the BlackBerry Simulator is connected, you should see Bypass. Expand this menu to view statistics (for example, packets sent/received).
OR

If only the Time Connected statistic appears, without the Bypass statistics, the BlackBerry Simulator is not connected to the BlackBerry Enterprise Server over Serial Bypass and the enterprise activation cannot occur. Delete the DMP files from the BlackBerry Simulator directory and complete the above steps in order to remove the net_rim_sdk_simulationSB.cod file from the BlackBerry Simulator directory. Alternatively, you can attempt this procedure with a BlackBerry device to verify that your BlackBerry Enterprise Server configuration supports Serial Bypass.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords
connect, simulator
Old 07-03-2007, 01:33 AM   #13
rishabht

Model: 7520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel
Smile

Hi All,

I am new to blackberry.

When I run the server for http push demo application I get the error as java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect

What are the changes in settings that are required for running http push demo application on simulator?

Like MDS port or changes in rimpublic.property file.

Is Enterprise Activation necessary to run HTTP push demo application.

Is it possible to do Enterprise Activation on simulator without a real BES.

How to get email id and password for the same.

Please help me to figure this out

Regards

rishabh
Old 09-18-2007, 06:20 AM   #14
deepakrb

Carrier: Cingular
Smile

>>>>>>>>
While you can connect the simulator to a real BES, you cannot fully emulate the environment. With a real device, the device connects thru the carrier to the RIM relay and your BES. However, with a simulator, you cannot connect to the relay and/or carrier.

For this reason, there is no need to change the PIN #. However, if you want to, you can do this via Edit - Preferences - Simulator. Change the Profile to something other than the default and edit the command line on the Advanced tab.
>>>>>>>

You Can change the PIN # through RIM JDE .
Go to Edit > Preferences >Simulator . Change the profile other than "Default Simulator" . Go to "Network" tab . Then put the required or new PIN # in "IMEI" field . Then Save this settings . After that open a new simulator from Build > Build All and Run.
Then enjoy with new IMEI no.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:41 AM   #15
shiv_bbmds

Model: asdf
Carrier: asdf

When I run the server for http push demo application I get the error as

java.io.IOException: Server returned HTTP response code: 400 for URL: http://loc
alhost:6060/push?DESTINATION=2100000A&PORT=100&REQUESTURI=loca lhost

What are the changes in settings that are required for running http push demo application on simulator.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

try to use the local ip (not loopback) instead of localhost