BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 10:14 AM   #1
dnelson82

Model: 7130e
Default Development

Please Login to Remove!

I would like to start programming different little apps for my blackberry. I have downloaded the API and I am going to use Eclipse as my editor.

What does everyone use as their editor? Which is better for the blackberry development?

Once I have the editor, could someone please give me a high level overview of where I begin in trying to add a new feature to my blackberry? I'm new to this but not new to programming.

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

you'd probably be better off starting with rims own development environment until you're better aquanted with the api.

you can develop in:
- rims own jde
- rims mds studio (for web service based apps)
- eclipse (if you're happy messing with ant tasks)
- netbeans (my choice)
Old 06-15-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
simon.hain
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: o2

personally i use the RIM JDE most of the time, it has its limits but the integration with simulator and signing tool is helpful.
i think you can include the simulator into eclipse (read this thread), i tried it for some time, didn't manage to have it run properly so decided to stay with the JDE.

to begin with programming i would suggest to build a screen, a menu and maybe a second screen. put in some functionality and create a socketconnection to some server-component and transfer the data.
if you are familiar with java a sql-connector (running on a PC) is a nice thing to have, if you discover the possibilities you get ideas quickly
Old 06-15-2006, 03:55 AM   #4
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

you can integrate the simulator into netbeans too:

http://www.meshtech.net/weblog/archi...erry_appl.html

i've written a module to import the 'string to long' function also:

http://www.meshtech.net/weblog/archi...or_blackb.html

The code signing app can be run from command line too so you can write a script to automate it...
Old 06-15-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
DoomBringer
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7280
Carrier: cingular, no wait, AT&T

RIM JDE. Eclipse is nice, but I've been too lazy to try and figure out how to integrate everything I need into Eclipse (I need everything the JDE has: seamless debugging, deployment, code completion, etc). I'm sure someone out there has worked it all out but the JDE suits my needs well enough (even the 3.7 JDE, which has notable problems).
Old 11-09-2006, 01:49 AM   #6
dollars5

Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel

Any one successful with native app dev on Netbeans following the steps at Blackberry Development Using NetBeans Mobility Pack 5.5

I did following:
- Followed steps 1- 6
- at step 6 as recommended I remove the arg = -Midlet highlighted line.
- It creates the jar and jad to teh simulator folder. So I added this line to create a cod file following some instructions at Blackberry Development Using NetBeans Mobility
--- I create appname.alx file
--- add line <copy file="${name}.alx" todir="${dist.root.dir}"/> after </exec>

- The cod and cos are created.

But the problem is that when I run - I donot see my app icon under applications - pls help.

TIA.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
dollars5

I was able to run the BB app using Netbeans following Jfisher's instructions at http://www.blackberryforums.com/deve...ans#post298362 to fool the NetBeans to belive it as a midlet.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:18 AM   #8
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

ahh forgot about that post, i'll repost it with updated pics and any different steps with netbeans 5.5 within the next few days (looking at that netbeans article it looks like they mightve got inspiration from somewhere round here....).

if you're going to be using netbeans you should install the Blackberry Template Module: meshsystem >> Blackberry Templates in Netbeans - it saves me loads of time and works really well.

Last edited by jfisher; 11-09-2006 at 04:21 AM..
Old 11-09-2006, 04:21 AM   #9
dollars5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher
ahh forgot about that post, i'll repost it with updated pics and any different steps with netbeans 5.5 within the next few days.

if you're going to be using netbeans you should install the Blackberry Template Module: meshsystem >> Blackberry Templates in Netbeans - it saves me loads of time and works really well.
Thanks - pls do update that would be Great and Kind of you - for now everything works except the icons part - but for now I am not bothered abt icons.

For now I will see on the Templates from your site.

TIA.
Old 11-09-2006, 04:35 AM   #10
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

the way i work is to use both netbeans and the rim jde - netbeans has wonderful features but the rim jde is much much quicker at compiling and has a better debugger - so all code development is done in netbeans, but all compiling and debugging is done in the rim jde, i have both environments using the same directory/source files and is probably the best way of working, i'll add this info to the new blog/guide when i do it. this solves your icon problem too; you just add the icon you want to your project in the rim jde, rightclick and select 'use as application icon' (alternatively look into using the homescreen class, someone posted on here last week with a lush bit of code that would solve any icon problems)
Old 11-09-2006, 04:41 AM   #11
dollars5

Thanks - but my problem with JDE is that I am able to compile, generate apps but they almost never get displayed into the simulator - that was the primary reason that I moved to NetBeans and now got things going smoothly except for the icons (so far - I dunno how many other things are gonna get me into trouble) and the RRH were a trouble too. All I find is there is no proper guide for BB dev using JDE (atleast I didnt find any. The Dev guide was useful to introduce the API but not the JDE usage to get started).

If you could blog on your methods of BB dev on sharing codebase with JDE and NB - that would really be great
Old 11-09-2006, 05:39 AM   #12
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

you sure you're right clicking on your project in the rim jde > properties and giving you application a title, selecting 'always make project active'? and making sure you've selected 'cdlc application'?
Old 11-09-2006, 06:14 AM   #13
dollars5

Grrr... I didnot use the Title - now I am able to get my program onto Simulator for running.

Anyways now i get the convenience of coding in Netbeans and generating release builds from JDE - i have learnt many a lessons that will be useful to me. Now I was experimenting with the template module and building programs from templates. Thanks for all help.

If you could get the blog on codesharing btw NB and JDE that would be very nice of you.

Thanks all.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:18 AM   #14
dollars5

Btw how to access your blog archive to get hold of these articles http://www.meshtech.net/weblog/archi...erry_appl.html and http://www.meshtech.net/weblog/archi...or_blackb.html

Can you detail on the String to Long util - how does it affect BB dev on NetBeans?

Last edited by dollars5; 11-09-2006 at 07:45 AM..
Old 11-27-2006, 03:06 PM   #15
GerritVe

Model: 8700

Last edited by GerritVe; 11-27-2006 at 03:45 PM..
Old 11-27-2006, 03:21 PM   #16
GerritVe

Model: 8700

sorry

Last edited by GerritVe; 11-27-2006 at 03:43 PM..
Closed Thread