Old 02-05-2007, 04:31 AM   #1
balaji6969
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: airtel
Thumbs down Configuring to netbeans

Please Login to Remove!

hi
i configured blackberry jde 4.1 to netbeans 5.5.
Everything is fine and working.But System statements are not comming in output space.What should i do to display them.
Regards,
Balaji.K
Old 02-05-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Model: BOLD
Carrier: t-mobile

when debugging from netbeans a simulator control panel should open which in turn spawns the simulator - this screen has a sys output tab
Old 02-05-2007, 06:52 AM   #3
balaji6969

Thumbs down

Thanks for the response.
Can u say where the simulator panel be to start.
Regards,
Balaji.K
Old 02-05-2007, 08:15 AM   #4
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

have you got netbeans spawning your simulator at all? by editing the build.xml file in netbeans?
Old 02-05-2007, 11:49 PM   #5
balaji6969

Thumbs down

hi
sorry,I havnt understood.
In build.xml i am adding the following code.What should i do more.

<target name="pre-jar">
<available file="${platform.home}/bin/rapc.exe" property="do.rapc"/>
<condition property="jpda.port" value="8000">
<isset property="do.rapc"/>
</condition>
</target>
<target name="post-jar" if="do.rapc">
<exec dir="${platform.home}/simulator" executable="${platform.home}/bin/rapc.exe" failonerror="true">
<arg value="import=${platform.bootclasspath}"/>
<arg value="codename=${name}"/>

<arg value="jad=${basedir}/${dist.dir}/${dist.jad}"/>
<arg value="${basedir}/${dist.dir}/${dist.jar}"/>
</exec>
</target>
<target name="post-clean">
<delete failonerror="false">
<fileset dir="${platform.home}/simulator">
<include name="**/${name}.*"/>
</fileset>
</delete>
</target>
Old 02-06-2007, 02:43 AM   #6
dollars5
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
Carrier: Airtel

balaji6969 - to be frank - in the beginning when our company entered into Blackberry dev, we did play around with using netbeans for BB dev (we used it for other JavaME devs so no special training needed and many features of netbeans made us think that way) - but now we really find RIM's JDE a lot better for BB dev.

So this is how we continue our development, BB=JDE, non-BB=Netbeans. I would also advice you to follow this path as we spend really lot of time into getting netbeans develop BB apps, though we were able to do it, it was not as useful as JDE - Just our suggestion.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:12 AM   #7
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

i must disagree - i've been much much more productive since setting up netbeans for bb - the intellisense is poor in the rim jde and netbeans has so many more useful features that the rim jde lacks (not least being very good refactoring). netbeans ui is also much snappier, the rim jde feels sluggish.

the way i have development set up (and i've heard other do the same) is to use netbeans for main dev but use the rim jde for debugging and compiling as it is quicker to build, that way you get the best of both worlds.

i've been doing this for over a year now and the benefits are huge.

an example build xml:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<project name="" default="jar" basedir=".">
<description>Builds, tests, and runs the project .</description>
<import file="nbproject/build-impl.xml"/>
<property name="rim.blackberry.home" location="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0"/>
<property name="rim.blackberry.emulator" value="8100"/>

<target name="post-jar">
<exec os="Windows NT Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows 2000 Windows XP" dir="${dist.dir}" executable="${rim.blackberry.home}/bin/rapc.exe" failonerror="true" resolveExecutable="true">
<arg value="import=${rim.blackberry.home}/lib/net_rim_api.jar"/>
<arg value="codename=${name}"/>
<arg value="${dist.jad}"/>
<arg value="${dist.jar}"/>
</exec>
<copy file="meshPing.alx" todir="${dist.dir}"/>
</target>

<target name="run" depends="init,jar">
<copy todir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\simulator" verbose="true">
<fileset dir="${dist.dir}">
</fileset>
</copy>
<exec os="Windows NT Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows 2000 Windows XP" dir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\simulator" executable="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Device Simulators 4.1.0\Device Simulators 4.1.0.316/${rim.blackberry.emulator}.bat" failonerror="true" resolveExecutable="true"/>
</target>

<target name="debug" depends="init,jar">
<copy todir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\simulator" verbose="true">
<fileset dir="${dist.dir}">
</fileset>
</copy>
<delete file="${preprocessed.dir}/.timestamp"/>
<parallel>
<property name="jpda.port" value="8000"/>
<java jar="${rim.blackberry.home}/bin/JDWP.jar" fork="true" dir="${rim.blackberry.home}/bin">
<jvmarg value="-Xmx128M"/>
</java>
<sequential>
<sleep seconds="5"/>
<antcall target="nbdebug"/>
</sequential>
</parallel>
</target>

<target name="post-clean">
<echo>Post clean</echo>
<delete>
<fileset dir="C:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry JDE 4.2.0\simulator">
</fileset>
</delete>
</target>
</project>
Old 02-06-2007, 09:08 AM   #8
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

update - i've just cobbled together this guide: Blackberry Netbeans Development

it might help, if anyone has anything to add to it please please let me know - it'd be nice to have a very thorough definitive document.
Old 02-12-2007, 01:19 AM   #9
balaji6969

Thumbs down

hi jfisher
i think the xml code you gave is for jde4.2.Can you give it for jde 4.1 ,as i want to integrate jde 4.1
Regards,
Balaji.K
Old 02-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
tchyppp

Model: 7100t
Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfisher
update - i've just cobbled together this guide: (URL was here)

it might help, if anyone has anything to add to it please please let me know - it'd be nice to have a very thorough definitive document.

Hello,

I followed your guide in integrating BB development with NetBeans. I did this before, following the NB site guide, but I still can't debug properly. That is, it does not stop at breakpoints. Everything else works ok. Can you help me with this?

Thank you!
Old 02-12-2007, 02:48 PM   #11
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a

Quote:
update - i've just cobbled together this guide: Blackberry Netbeans Development
Awesome! Immediate del.icio.us save.

Quote:
OK since I know you're a linux user....any easy way to integrate the raw jar files into Netbeans? I've got the standard 5.5 + Mobility Pack installed and can create a nice little Hello World, looking for some way to not use Windows to get net_rim_api all set up.

Maybe.... install the BB JDK on Windows, zip it up and use it that way? I realize rapc, simulator (et. al) are a no-go but at least I could program to the API if I got it integrated.
Old 02-13-2007, 03:40 AM   #12
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by balaji6969
hi jfisher
i think the xml code you gave is for jde4.2.Can you give it for jde 4.1 ,as i want to integrate jde 4.1
Regards,
Balaji.K
just replace all the 4.2 bits to 4.1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchyppp
Hello,

I followed your guide in integrating BB development with NetBeans. I did this before, following the NB site guide, but I still can't debug properly. That is, it does not stop at breakpoints. Everything else works ok. Can you help me with this?

Thank you!
Not managed that myself - but i use the rim jde to build and debug as it seems nearly twice as quick to compile (it's just let down by lack of features and a sluggish ui)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Maybe.... install the BB JDK on Windows, zip it up and use it that way? I realize rapc, simulator (et. al) are a no-go but at least I could program to the API if I got it integrated.
Not tried bb dev in linux either - i've used ubuntu for over a year now but not being able to run the simulators means it's not worth attempting (for me at least! - i actually like windows!)
Old 02-13-2007, 12:09 PM   #13
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a

Quote:
Not tried bb dev in linux either - i've used ubuntu for over a year now but not being able to run the simulators means it's not worth attempting (for me at least! - i actually like windows!)
Gotcha. While my current setup is a dual-boot (for maximum USB stuff, like upgrading firmwares) I was thinking about using that new VMware "scraper" to lift the physical image and make it a VM instance as well, so that I could mess with the offical BB JDK setup. Probably the most sane course of action...

(btw I really like the asthetic of your website. kudos. )
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #14
rnickel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers

Good article. I linked to it from my blog
Old 02-14-2007, 07:10 AM   #15
tchyppp

Quote:

Not managed that myself - but i use the rim jde to build and debug as it seems nearly twice as quick to compile (it's just let down by lack of features and a sluggish ui)

I also use the BB JDE to debug and sign the app, but I want to use one IDE (other than BB JDE) to code, run and debug. It would save some time and nerves.

I tried to integrate it in Eclipse, but I cannot write code there as I get no insight of available classes and methods when pressing Ctrl+SPACE.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #16
dane

Model: 7290
Carrier: TMobile

I can debug with breakpoints etc. in NetBeans for BB development just fine... I use NetBeans for all development and testing and I use JDE only to make a release build (probably does a better job, and also NetBeans doesn't create the application icon...)

jfishers article should give you the neccessary setup...

Also, you have to run the project in NetBeans with "Debug main project", so BB's remote debug server is started...
Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 AM   #17
tchyppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dane
I can debug with breakpoints etc. in NetBeans for BB development just fine... I use NetBeans for all development and testing and I use JDE only to make a release build (probably does a better job, and also NetBeans doesn't create the application icon...)

jfishers article should give you the neccessary setup...

Also, you have to run the project in NetBeans with "Debug main project", so BB's remote debug server is started...
I tryed jfishers build.xml. I had the one from the NB site, but both of them don't work for me when debugging. The Remote Debug Server starts, I have access to the console output, but it won't stop at breakpoints.

Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 AM   #18
TheBigEasy

Model: 8700v
Carrier: VodaFone

Jonathan,
I have followed your guide up to the point of entering the build.xml data.
I have replaced ALL the code in the build.xml file with your code but I have errors. The TAB at the top of the build.xml file has a red cross against it and the project will not compile. I get the following
xxx8220;The processing instruction target matching "[xX][mM][lL]" is not allowed.xxx8221;

I guess I am being stupid as it seems others have followed the guide and had no problems.
Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2007, 07:46 AM   #19
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

just double checked and there might be a node or two missing... will look into it this afternoon, sorry for the trouble!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 08:50 AM   #20
jfisher
CrackBerry Addict

nope, copied the file and ran a project with it no problems, if you can post a screen shot of the error.