Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #61
ashleyneiltaylor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Hmmm

A few things Blackberry support that iPhone doesn't...

Lotus Notes Push Email
Certificate based PEAP WiFi
Central Management

In other words many things the corporate would want (Not just users but Administrators)
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #62
Orbital199
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I think it's really more of a debate over what the device is being used for. The iphone, in my opinion is a multimedia device that's not appropriate for large scale government companies.The iphone is youthful and trendy, and I'm not saying that in a bad way, it's yet another amazing apple product, but if we adopted that as a standard where I work it would be a nightmare seeing as our users are primarily of an older generation. There's also the problem of it's lack of security, and in a government job that's vital.

And you can't expect to post a thread about iphone vs. BlackBerry on a BlackBerry forum without getting replies in defense of the BlackBerry.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:05 PM   #63
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

I realize there is the new 3rd party app iStore for the 3G. My question is: is that the only place one can get an app for it? On this forum people post links for their themes, new apps like the Colorball, stuff like that which can be free (or not). Is that going on for the iPhone or do you have to go through their Store only?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #64
tpoon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

The BB camera is of definite superior quality!

Happily syncing to BES with The Message Center Exchange Hosting
Old 08-05-2008, 12:40 PM   #65
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I realize there is the new 3rd party app iStore for the 3G. My question is: is that the only place one can get an app for it? On this forum people post links for their themes, new apps like the Colorball, stuff like that which can be free (or not). Is that going on for the iPhone or do you have to go through their Store only?
Apple restricts how (and where) you can download applications. Search for "jailbroken" to see what lengths people have gone to in order to download apps.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:31 PM   #66
clubchucker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650

I'll be the first to say I'm not nearly as techno savvy as many here. So my main problem with the iPhone and/or the 3G? Plain and simple: AT&T. I've got some of my issues with Verizon (my carrier) and I'm definitely not a fanboy of Verizon, but you know what? Never been anywhere in the US where I haven't gotten a signal.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM   #67
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubchucker View Post
I'll be the first to say I'm not nearly as techno savvy as many here. So my main problem with the iPhone and/or the 3G? Plain and simple: AT&T. I've got some of my issues with Verizon (my carrier) and I'm definitely not a fanboy of Verizon, but you know what? Never been anywhere in the US where I haven't gotten a signal.
Yeah, ATT 3g coverage isn't as good as Vzn's EVDO 3g, but it's getting better and it's in most major cities now. I've been plenty of places where I can't get Vzn. I've got Tmob now, but if I can't get them I can roam ATT so that expands things a lot. I don't know for sure if you can't get ATT will your phone then roam to Tmobile?
As for the 3rd party apps for the iPhone I guess the new store is better than nothing, but if Apple controls the pursestrings I can't imagine getting anything very useful without having to pay for it. True, you have to pay for BB stuff too, but you can always hope it's free.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 08-06-2008 at 03:58 PM..
Old 08-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #68
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No.. An iPhone on AT&T will not roam to T-Mobile for 3G. Their frequencies are different <gulp>.

That's why unlocking an iPhone really won't buy you much (assuming you could unlock a 3G iPhone, which you can't).
Old 08-06-2008, 04:05 PM   #69
TheBigNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
No.. An iPhone on AT&T will not roam to T-Mobile for 3G. Their frequencies are different <gulp>.

That's why unlocking an iPhone really won't buy you much (assuming you could unlock a 3G iPhone, which you can't).
Got it, but how about 2g (I can't get ATT 3g where I like in AZ)? If I run out of coverage on ATT will I roam to Tmob 2g? I really don't think I need 3g very often, I live without it now. I don't browse much at all and mostly for sports scores and news blurbs.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM   #70
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

If it is an area with weak coverage, no roaming. If, for example, AT&T has NO coverage in an area, they may have a roaming agreement in place. Not that common.

It is not like outside of the US, where you have a choice of carriers...
Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 PM   #71
joeygator
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullrat1 View Post
Excuse my noobness but I also have both devices. I've had blackberries for a long time. To me just compare the first generation BB 850 in relation to its competition. Pretty standard two way text pager. Really it was nothing special. Compare that to Apple's first device, again in relation to current competition. As a previous poster put it, it isn't finished yet, but when it is, they have the potential of taking over. You see RIM only has one specialty in its business. Apple as seen in that keynote address has three. And they are focusing heavily on the iPhone and attempting to knock RIM off its perch as #1. In other words they are using the majority of their resources from the other two arms to fund iPhone R&D and sales. RIM is a one trick pony. (smart phones)

For me by far the better device is my curve. I have every feature imaginable on it that I would need. But as the 3rd party stuff on the iPhone has improved, I noticed that my curve's use time has decreased a decent amount.

The only way iPhone will go down is if Apple beats itself.
Comparing to the 850 is unreasonable. This was a device that only did data! And it wasn't on the cellular network. Not a fair comparison. The only comverged device at that time that I can recall was called Simon from BellSouth Mobility. What a flop! I love the functions of the iPhone, but I want to do business, not music, pictures, etc. Oh, and can you tether with the iPhone?

Sorry I was a little late on this thought!

Last edited by joeygator; 08-06-2008 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Late response
Old 08-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #72
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

you can tether with iphone if you were lucky enough to get the netshare app when it was in the app store. The developers say they are working with apple to get it back. It basically turns your iphone into a wifi router i believe.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 PM   #73
DallasFlier

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

The iPhone absolutely has some truly wonderful capabilities. It just doesn't excel at what I carry a mobile phone/PDA for. My priorities, in order are:
  1. Excellent phone
  2. Push email
  3. Flexible apps with the ability to make it do other useful things
  4. Web browser
  5. Multimedia ("iPod") device

The iPhone's rank ordered list of best to worst features are:
  1. Multimedia ("iPod") device
  2. Web browser
  3. Flexible apps with the ability to make it do other useful things
  4. Push email
  5. Excellent phone

That, in a nutshell, is why I continue to carry the BlackBerry, and will for the foreseeable future. Pretty simple! If you want a world class phone and push email device with passable web browsing and multimedia, get a BlackBerry. If you want a world class multimedia and web browsing device with a passable phone and email, get an iPhone.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:14 PM   #74
H-Tub
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24A81F05
Carrier: AT&T

WOW...Glad this thread was started makes my option to which one to get.....Of course BB WINS...Thanks to All look out BOLD cuz u will be mine LOL..
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #75
dragon_fly

Model: 8300
Carrier: rogers

The problem with Iphone is battery. It does not last long enough due to big screen.

Blackbery: durable, fast typing, weakness: no wifi until bold come out. Small screen, can't not see pdf file or attachment well

Iphone: sexy, not sure durable, so far I put it behind my pocket jumping around (have not drop it yet), it work fine. Battery can't last for more than 7 hours. Picture taken is very clear, can zoom on web site, wifi (a plus for now).

Different use, different need. Iphone: entertainment, rapid respond with attachment. I want to see the bold before I judge it
Old 08-09-2008, 08:15 PM   #76
Berry One

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon_fly View Post
Blackbery weakness: no wifi until bold come out.
I should tell my blackberry 8820 that it only think it has WiFi.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #77
LovinLife22608

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mo

If my iPhone screen wasn't cracked right now, and it didn't cost 250 to replace that, then I'd be using that instead of the 8100. But after using the 8100 for a week I was sold. I don't think I'll go back to iPhone or Sidekick.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #78
DacyJ

PIN: g Bomb!
Carrier: The Newest AT&T

I was having a issue with my friends truck and needed to send a picture but he has a iPhone and cant receive pictures. No mms on a iPhone?
Old 08-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #79
danedel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: The "new" at&t

I think this video pretty much sums it up...

YouTube - iPhone vs BlackBerry
Old 08-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #80
Frank Castle

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW

How many times are we going to have a thread about this? Too bad Alex went off the deep end as he did have some good thoughts around mobility. Although his PC against exchange misses the entire point of mobile security:

The PC doesn't walk out the door with you!!

Outside of Good server - nothing matches Blackberry from a security / policy / management perspective and when I have to control 3000+ devices THAT matters .. sure SCMDM2007 is coming along but it's a seperate CAL, while BES is a nice all in one box that provides all the great things Blackberry can do AND provide the security I'd say the majority of companies require. Apple has nothing to offer device encryption, device policy to say lock down the camera or loading of Super Monkey ball etc. Frankly I don't see them ever having this unless they license the FULL activesync API set. The SDK could be used but Apple has locked down all this type of functionality. They want this to be like the Ipod and have total control and that isn't going to work in the corporate world. We don't feed the Apple Ecosystem.

I don't need to list out every feature of either device and because one has more / better features it makes it the "winner" .. if that were the case everyone would be using Windows Mobile. Blackberry is a very well put together device that just works. It is engineered to provide workflow improvements and 99% of the functionality can be done one handed (try doing that with a iphone). So combine all that with the BES and what it provides and it's rock solid. OS 4.5 makes the "email is better on the iphone" point negated as HTML / rich content email basically looks the same now.

Also wanted to touch on the 857 vs Iphone .. don't even understand the simularities but it does show how far (and fast) mobility has matured. The Iphone is not possible 3 years ago .. the network as well the cost to build / sell was just not at the level. Likely it was in development for a good 3 years prior to launch. Mobile devices change every 6 months and Blackberry is set to release 3 new devices across every carrier on the planet over the next few months. Apple is limited to At&t in the states and one device (different memory configures). Considering all the things RIM is juggling I'd say they are doing better if you consider the issues lately on Iphone with OS stability, App Store, and MobileME crashes.

Last edited by Frank Castle; 08-12-2008 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: edits
Closed Thread