BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #1
jamesmgregg68

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Default Standby settings in holster - how to change?

Please Login to Remove!

When I first got my 8330 Curve, I also got the plastic holster for it, the one where you put the BB in face-first to protect the screen & keys.

When I would put the BB in the holster FACE-OUT (easier to hold when talking, sitting on a desk, etc.) I could continue using the phone as if it weren't in the holster. Reason: it seemed that the BB would "read" the position of the tab on the top, and would only go to STANDBY mode if the tab on the holster was latched into the speaker slot on the top of the BB.

Verizon then swapped out my 8330 for a new one because I was having power issues...

The new device is going into STANDBY mode the minute I slide it into the holster in the face-out position, whether or not the tab on the top is latched...it actually goes into standby immediately, as if it can "read" that it is in the holster from a sensor on the BOTTOM of phone (I didn't think there was one?)

My question then...
Does anyone know how I can change the settings so that the phone stays on when in the face-out position in the holster?

Thanks!
JMG
Old 09-25-2009, 11:20 AM   #2
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

BB uses a magnet in the holster to "tell" the device that it has been holstered. I am surprised to hear that you were ever able to holster the device (face out) without it going to sleep. You may be able to find an aftermarket holster without the magnet but then it will not work face in either.

I hope this clears up the confusion.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
jamesmgregg68

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scassel View Post
BB uses a magnet in the holster to "tell" the device that it has been holstered. I am surprised to hear that you were ever able to holster the device (face out) without it going to sleep. You may be able to find an aftermarket holster without the magnet but then it will not work face in either.

I hope this clears up the confusion.
Well, maybe that helped contribute to the fact that I needed a new BB ;)

I wasn't aware of that - thought it was the locking tab on top of the holster!

Thanks for the speedy and useful info!!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
scassel
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW US

Glad to help.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
ndtrung

Model: 8820
Carrier: bfx

You can make a reservation with people who make holster without magnetic. (hand made)
Old 09-27-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
TwoShot

Carrier: Verizon

Also there is a difference in what some call a "holster". Holster has the magnet in it. Most of the carrying case do not have a magnet in them and you most likey will have to put BB in stand by manually.
I have the OEM verizon one (e-bay 10.00 bucks) goes into stand by when "holstered". nice.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #7
WillWeb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon

When I used an Otter case with the World Edition BB, it would detect the magnet and stand by when I inserted it face-in, but not when it was face-out. That was replaced by a Curve and Seidio holster, and it detects the magnet both ways.
Closed Thread