BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Default Got some updated news on IM and the WAP.APN plans on Cingular...

Please Login to Remove!

As many of you know, I've been in the same position as many here on the boards, regarding the "tunnel error" and instant messenging programs. I've tried everything possible that has been recommended here on the boards (multiple times), and have had no luck, and I know that many of you are the same way. So, I've been contacting Cingular and got some interesting news.

According to the rep I talked to who supposedly was pretty far up in the chain (and trust me, I know how every Cingular rep can tell you different things, lol), they are now requiring a MediaNet plan on top of blackberry plans in order to use WAP.APN. So, for now on, they won't add it to your account free of charge. You have to purchase one of the plans on: www.cingular.com/medianet

Personally, I think this flatout sucks. The unlimited MediaNet plan is 19.99/mo. One of the features that you pay for that is included in this plan is the ability to browse the web! Well guess what Cingular... we already pay for that with the unlimited blackberry plan for a whopping $50/mo. So, we would be looking at $70/mo to have unlimited everything... after taxes that goes up to $90 (and then your voice plan on top of this). In my opinion they should at least discount this to $9.99/mo for blackberry unlimited users (in reality they should just give it to you with the blackberry unlimited to be honest). I don't feel like adding another $20 to my bill ($25 with taxes) just to add WAP.APN.

I am going to call and state my case. What do you guys think... has anyone else been told the same thing?
Old 12-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
avironeur

Model: 7290

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Does anyone else not find this latest move by Cingular to be a bit ridiculous? That sounds like some Verizon BS.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default So what types of programs do we think this impacts

Clearly modem use, and sounds like IM use too? Not Blackberry Messenger, but what about things like bblocal and jiveslide?
Old 12-11-2005, 03:03 PM   #4
VidGameKing
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

will they charge for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

It would really really really tick me off if I had to pay more to use what I've already got!

Last edited by VidGameKing; 12-11-2005 at 06:22 PM..
Old 12-11-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Default Standard apps are ok

You can use the standard apps under the unlimited BB plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidGameKing
will they chard for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

It would really really really tick me off if I had to pay more to use what I've already got!
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #6
avironeur

Model: 7290

But what about things like Verichat and IM+? I refuse to pay extra for that when I can get it for free on other carriers' unlimited Blackberry plans.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:42 PM   #7
VidGameKing

whew! I got worried there! because with all this added speed I've been browsing like there's no tomorrow! And, although stand alone apps are cool I've found that the information they provide is available on the internet too, so the ability to browse fast eliminates the need for stand alone apps. that and I can IM with yahoo, and AOL online without the need of an app.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:47 PM   #8
VidGameKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by avironeur
But what about things like Verichat and IM+? I refuse to pay extra for that when I can get it for free on other carriers' unlimited Blackberry plans.
Then go to other carriers, Cingular doesn't care about you! they don't care about me either! Cingular HATES their customers and would really rather see them all off with some other phone company. While they bugger off alone!

Lets see the ONLY thing Cingular has over T-Mo is that is some very select locations Cingular has better coverage!

I wonder what's Cingular playing at!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:04 PM   #9
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VidGameKing
will they chard for the use of the internet browsers that come with the blackberry? I pay for unlimited service, and was told that I can browse the web for free, no extra charges. I don't tether my BB, and I don't use other applications, just the ones that it came with out of the box.

Nope, basically...with unlimited blackberry on cingular you get unlimited email and web browsing using the cingular and html browser. Anything else that runs on WAP you may be charged for... IF you can even get it to work in the first place. I've definitely heard of select cases where people seem to get their apps to connect and don't get charged for them... though this is rare. Most on these boards are having the same issue I am.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:07 PM   #10
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
Clearly modem use, and sounds like IM use too? Not Blackberry Messenger, but what about things like bblocal and jiveslide?
Not sure... again, basically anything that runs WAP you can run the risk of getting charged for. Sucks, doesn't it! The only IM program I've gotten to work is IM+ (but I hate it), the others all seem to need WAP (yak-on, ramble, webmessenger, verichat, etc).
Old 12-11-2005, 05:23 PM   #11
danbedford
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c

Ok, so what I'm gathering from reading this thread, if I am using an IM program (in my case, Yak-on), then I will most likely be charged for it?

I have my TCP settings in Advanced Options set to the whole WAP.CINGULAR thing, and I'm pretty sure that's what got my IM working.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:32 PM   #12
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbedford
Ok, so what I'm gathering from reading this thread, if I am using an IM program (in my case, Yak-on), then I will most likely be charged for it?

I have my TCP settings in Advanced Options set to the whole WAP.CINGULAR thing, and I'm pretty sure that's what got my IM working.
There is a CHANCE you may be charged, but again, there are cases of some people getting around it. What are the TCP settings you are using with yak-on?
Old 12-11-2005, 05:47 PM   #13
alann

hummm i called and the Blackberry rep added wap.cingular plan to my account and she said it was no charge...does this mean they are gonna start charging for data??
Old 12-11-2005, 05:51 PM   #14
jonlevine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100

I'm on an 8700c, BIS, and have my TCP set to "WAP@CINGULAR.COM". I use Jiveslide, bbLocal, Verichat, bbSpell, and PocketDay without any problems. I have also NOT been charged for usage of any of these programs. I have also never called Cingular to add anything to my account. I only have the 'Unlimited Data Plan" along with voice.

Prior to setting my TCP settings, I received the "tunnel error", but once it was set, I have had no issue.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and wondering if it is different for people in different parts of the country.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:03 PM   #15
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlevine
I'm on an 8700c, BIS, and have my TCP set to "WAP@CINGULAR.COM". I use Jiveslide, bbLocal, Verichat, bbSpell, and PocketDay without any problems. I have also NOT been charged for usage of any of these programs. I have also never called Cingular to add anything to my account. I only have the 'Unlimited Data Plan" along with voice.

Prior to setting my TCP settings, I received the "tunnel error", but once it was set, I have had no issue.

I'm in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and wondering if it is different for people in different parts of the country.
What username and pass did you use, just for the reference of all of us? Also, is your firewall on or off? Did you change anything else or just add the TCP?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by alann
hummm i called and the Blackberry rep added wap.cingular plan to my account and she said it was no charge...does this mean they are gonna start charging for data??
How long ago was that? Who knows...
Old 12-11-2005, 06:06 PM   #17
alann

i called in yesterday afternoon 12/10/05
Old 12-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
mzini
Thumbs Must Hurt

damn are you serious... lol... I need to keep calling. So how did you word it? Did you just call and say that you would like wap.cingular added to your account or what?
Old 12-11-2005, 06:22 PM   #19
alann

Depends who you talk to i guess. The csr that I spoke with had no idea what's going on. Then i told her to add the wap.cingular plan to my account and first she said i don't need it because I should have already have it with the blackberry unlimited plan. then she said she'll do it again, restarted the device and it works.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #20
alann

If its pay-per-kb then description of that should show up on my bill right? here's what i go to current feature on cingular's website:

Basic_Voice_Mail $0.00
Cingular Domestic LD $0.00
Cingular Roam LD $0.00
Multimedia-PayPerMsg $0.00
Direct Bill Detail $0.00
Text Messaging 200 $4.99
XM with BB and V UN $44.99
Unlimited N&W $0.00
Rollover FM 1400 $0.00
Off-Network Roam $0.00
GSM Coverage Area $0.00
Cingular Direct Bill $0.00