Closed Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #41
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

I bet there is a reason it says for Windows Mobile phones.
Old 12-23-2007, 05:02 PM   #42
holygarsh

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Yeah, I'm really not sure though... the text reads:

"Smartphone Connect Data plans are applicable on Windows Mobile Smartphone devices only, which are the Cingular 2125, Audiovox SMT5600, and Motorola MPx 220.

With the SmartPhone Connect 5MB package ($0.01 KB overage), you can browse the internet from your wireless SmartPhone handset. Put your relevant categories and headlines right on your home page, and spend less time looking for important information such as current news, weather, travel information.

Check CNN, The Weather Channel, etc.. You can also check e-mail, send/receive instant messages and photos. Plus, you only pay for the amount of data you send and receive, not the time you use the service."

the Unlimited is a bit different it also includes xpress mail:

"Smartphone Connect Data plans are applicable on Windows Mobile Smartphone devices only, which are the Cingular 2125, Audiovox SMT5600, and Motorola MPx 220.

With the SmartPhone Connect Unlimited plan with Express Mail, you can browse the internet from your wireless SmartPhone handset. Put your relevant categories and headlines right on your home page, and spend less time looking for important information such as current news, weather, travel information. Check CNN, The Weather Channel, etc..

You can also check e-mail, send/receive instant messages and photos. Plus, you only pay for the amount of data you send and receive, not the time you use the service. And with the Smartphone Connect Unlimited feature, all your data usage is included.

With Smartphone Connect Unlimited you get Xpress Mail included which allows you to setup your personal email, such as Yahoo, AOL, or Earthlink, right on your device in just a few clicks. The 13 most popular ISP and personal email accounts are pre-loaded on the device for quick and easy setup.

Just enter your mobile number, choose your provider and enter your user name and password to view your personal email. Additionally Xpress Mail allows users to access corporate email and other data, such as Microsoft Exchange or Lotus Notes, with an online self service wizard. Users can activate their account at http://xpressmailpe.wireless.att.com."

The descriptions are pretty vague. The description for the MEdia Net account is pretty much equally vague. "A world of information at your fingertips blah blah"
Old 12-23-2007, 10:26 PM   #43
adi_V

Model: 8310
Carrier: Three
Default Help

okay.. heres the jist..
i bought a vodafone handset.. unlocked it and am trying to use my 3 simcard which has a dataplan on it already.
now.. i've installed opera and have changed the apn according to what was requested of my provider.

when i start up opera.. it states that it cannont make an internet connection and to SEEK SOME FREEKIN' HELP!

im trying to connect over the edge network.. is there some other settings which i need to set/ enable or whatever..
anyhelp would be welcomed.. =]
btw, my previous vodafone plan did not include the dataplan.. and fone does not have wi-fi.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:46 PM   #44
adi_V

Carrier: Three

please.. if there is anyone that can help me with the problem above
Old 02-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #45
djak
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9300
Carrier: Bell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon View Post
Q: Can I do this on CDMA?
A: It's a little more tricky if your device does not have a SIM card slot. This FAQ mainly covers GSM BlackBerry models.
I'm not sure i understand why its more tricky if the phone doesn't use a SIM card. Could i not cancel my BB data&email on my CDMA Pearl, and switch to a generic data plan, like the Unlimited Mobile Data package offered by Bell Canada?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #46
MrTelephoneMan13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630

Quick question for some of you BES admins. If a user has 'pending messages' sitting on the server; how can you push those messages to their BB device?
Old 03-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #47
JonMS

Carrier: rogers

I got a question.
I recently bought a blackbery curve and actually had the block my BB Data so I would not get charged...... If I use Opera Mini on my phone will I still be charged by rogers for using data ? Or how does it work what will rogers charge me for overall using it?
I don't want to get a bill that is nasty big.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #48
Scott Semple

Carrier: Rogers
Angry Doesn't Work (I think)

I tried to do this with my girlfriend's SIM in my phone before committing to canceling my BB service, switching to a generic plan, and then possibly having to switch back.

Rogers currently offers unlimited generic data for $7 per month. I set that up on my girlfriend's phone, put her SIM into my BB, reset the APN to "internet.com" and re-booted by removing the battery.

"Data connection refused."

I called Rogers to see if they could change the APN on the account, and they told me that they have no control over it; that it's controlled by Blackberry servers.

So... does this really work or not? Is there anyone who has successfully got it working? Anything I'm missing?

Regards,
Scott

Last edited by Scott Semple; 03-21-2008 at 08:48 PM..
Old 03-25-2008, 08:41 AM   #49
a.petrov
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9105
Carrier: orange moldova

Quote:
I just got reports that Consilent push mail works on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan. It's a 3rd party mail client, that apparently supports installation on BlackBerry, and does not require a BlackBerry plan.
Consilent.com -
Free Mobile Push Email - Consilient Push
thank you for the link.

when i go through the registration just before download it says device not supported. i am offered to choose, but 8800 series is not there

which one should work? 8700, 8100...?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #50
piper

Model: 8300

Did you try browsing with the WAP browser or using any applications? I have that plan and it works for me. The data connection refused thing probably just means the blackberry data connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Semple View Post
I tried to do this with my girlfriend's SIM in my phone before committing to canceling my BB service, switching to a generic plan, and then possibly having to switch back.

Rogers currently offers unlimited generic data for $7 per month. I set that up on my girlfriend's phone, put her SIM into my BB, reset the APN to "internet.com" and re-booted by removing the battery.

"Data connection refused."

I called Rogers to see if they could change the APN on the account, and they told me that they have no control over it; that it's controlled by Blackberry servers.

So... does this really work or not? Is there anyone who has successfully got it working? Anything I'm missing?

Regards,
Scott
Old 03-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #51
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Yes, Data connection refused just means there is no Blackberry specific data plan on the account. TCP data may still work, though, but you'll need a 3rd party browser like Opera Mini since the service books from RIM are required for using the OEM browser. No BB data plan-no Service Books.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:48 PM   #52
ArmyGeorge
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 24546662

Any follow up to this working with AT&T 8310's?
--Garmin GPS, returned, got BBTracker
--Dalwhinnie Single Malt
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #53
SilverGS

Model: Curve

This is an excellent article! Huge thanks to Mark Rejhon for putting it together!!! :thumbup:

I have a Treo 680 and am paying for the outrageous $40/month data plan with Rogers and reading your post has prompted me to cancel my data plan immediately.

So, now I have two questions:
- What is the best place you BB veterans recommend I buy a BB? I want to get the Curve but don't want to buy it from Rogers (unless ofcourse you guys think I should)
- Has anyone on here been successfull in getting a Curve on a non-BB plan to work with unlimited mobile browsing package that Rogers have on their non-BB phones (the $7/month addon to voice plan)?
Old 04-02-2008, 01:27 PM   #54
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330

The "Windows Mobile" plan may work the same as a "Generic" plan as listed in the OP. AT&T does offer a Blackberry data plan, I believe it is $30 for unlimited.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #55
Sam1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonMS View Post
I got a question.
I recently bought a blackbery curve and actually had the block my BB Data so I would not get charged...... If I use Opera Mini on my phone will I still be charged by rogers for using data ? Or how does it work what will rogers charge me for overall using it?
I don't want to get a bill that is nasty big.

Hi,

I did post that I was able to succeed with this using Rogers. I did post a more details on the link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/afte...on-loader.html

There are a few things to remember. You need a data plan - or you may be charged per KB that is used. I got the new $7 unlimited data plan with Rogers, along with my 25 Mega Incoming, and communicate pack - I changed it from my BB DP $55 + communicate.

You need to remember you need to have Opera Mini installed, and set your APN. I also noticed since I upgraded my handset software to 4.2.107, I am able to use Rogers WAP browser - the BB browser has disappeared (which was expected).

I have even tried brining up a page to do a OTA, and it asks me if to download - have not tested it past that so far. It works great, absolutely no problems - I have Google Maps Mobile, GMAIL Mobile, and Google Calendar Sync running and working without any problems. Let me know, I can give you some more details if you need - but read my post, linked above.

Remember to do a battery pull, and have the latest Handheld software and DM software - makes a difference.

I would take it easy for the 1st month or 2 on your new data plan, and see what charges are being laid.

Last edited by Sam1972; 04-20-2008 at 02:57 PM..
Old 04-26-2008, 10:40 PM   #56
dougdoug99
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Just a question - I read some people were able to access bb browser with Rogers Vision..

I have the $65/1GB plan and I am able to use the browser on my curve. Its called "WAP browser (rogers)". Does this mean I can actually use the rim browser?

I have opera and everything else working through internet.com APN.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM   #57
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wanted to ask a question differently.
I am on AT&T. Does blackberry personal plan require it be behind a Nat firewall (proxy) via WAP on a Blackberry 8310? I was wondering because I would rather have a direct connection to the internet via ISP.
Calling AT&T is no help. I get the scripted answer you have a Blackberry you must have the BBpersonal plan and WAP comes with it. They don't answer the question.
Again, I want to keep my BBpersonal plan but I don't want to be behind a proxy nat firewall called WAP. I believe the other way is ISP. Can it be done and how?
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #58
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftv View Post
I wanted to ask a question differently.
I am on AT&T. Does blackberry personal plan require it be behind a Nat firewall (proxy) via WAP on a Blackberry 8310? I was wondering because I would rather have a direct connection to the internet via ISP.
Calling AT&T is no help. I get the scripted answer you have a Blackberry you must have the BBpersonal plan and WAP comes with it. They don't answer the question.
Again, I want to keep my BBpersonal plan but I don't want to be behind a proxy nat firewall called WAP. I believe the other way is ISP. Can it be done and how?
This is all confusing terminology mess -- I think you got things mixed up.

The only case where this does not apply is BlackBerry plans where generic data is restricted (i.e. blocking Opera Mini, Google Maps, Jivetalk chat, etc), often the cheap $10 or $15 BlackBerry email-only plans that some carriers sells.

Most normal BlackBerry plans are supersets of generic data plans. BlackBerry plans include two ISP's in one essentially -- both the blackberry.net (often proxied) and internet.com (not proxied). You can use both BlackBerry Browser (using blackberry.net) and Opera Mini Browser (using generic APN). Two APN's are included -- both the blackberry APN and the generic data APN -- so you get two ISP's in one when you get a BlackBerry plan.

Modern BlackBerry plans are not more limiting, they just simply include access to the BlackBerry network IN ADDITION to regular data. Even though there may be certain limits on the BlackBerry network, you still ALSO have access to generic data too.

That's why people have been successfully using SIM cards with BlackBerry plans, in iPhones, TyTN's, TREO's, Aircards, and other devices. A modern BlackBerry plan is simply a superset of a generic data plan. Such BlackBerry plans with 100% unrestricted range from $20 to $50 in the United States, or the new Rogers 6gigabyte/$30 plan in Canada, etc.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 08-08-2008 at 11:36 AM..
Old 08-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #59
neftv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
This is all confusing terminology mess -- I think you got things mixed up.

The only case where this does not apply is BlackBerry plans where generic data is restricted (i.e. blocking Opera Mini, Google Maps, Jivetalk chat, etc), often the cheap $10 or $15 BlackBerry email-only plans that some carriers sells.

Most normal BlackBerry plans are supersets of generic data plans. BlackBerry plans include two ISP's in one essentially -- both the blackberry.net (often proxied) and internet.com (not proxied). You can use both BlackBerry Browser (using blackberry.net) and Opera Mini Browser (using generic APN). Two APN's are included -- both the blackberry APN and the generic data APN -- so you get two ISP's in one when you get a BlackBerry plan.

Modern BlackBerry plans are not more limiting, they just simply include access to the BlackBerry network IN ADDITION to regular data. Even though there may be certain limits on the BlackBerry network, you still ALSO have access to generic data too.

That's why people have been successfully using SIM cards with BlackBerry plans, in iPhones, TyTN's, TREO's, Aircards, and other devices. A modern BlackBerry plan is simply a superset of a generic data plan. Such BlackBerry plans with 100% unrestricted range from $20 to $50 in the United States, or the new Rogers 6gigabyte/$30 plan in Canada, etc.
Then so that I understand. Specific to AT&T Blackberry.net is the access to email and Blackberry Browser and everything else goes via the APN which is wap.cingular for me. It is my understanding that wap.cingular is simply a proxy nat firewall and I was merely asking if it is possible to have a more direct connection to the internet for the 3rd party applications? Explains why Minuet Browser does not work which is what I wanted to try as an alternative to Opera mini.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #60
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold

Quote:
Originally Posted by neftv View Post
Then so that I understand. Specific to AT&T Blackberry.net is the access to email and Blackberry Browser and everything else goes via the APN which is wap.cingular for me. It is my understanding that wap.cingular is simply a proxy nat firewall and I was merely asking if it is possible to have a more direct connection to the internet for the 3rd party applications? Explains why Minuet Browser does not work which is what I wanted to try as an alternative to Opera mini.
AT&T is kind of a weird carrier out of the mix. You need to purchase tethering if you're with AT&T. So in addition to a BB Personal plan, you also need to purchase a Tethering plan, to get access to the additional APN's.

Then you get access to isp.cingular (basically three ISP's -- wap.cingular, isp.cingular, blackberry.net). The tethering plan would allow you to use "isp.cingular" inside your BlackBerry, even if you never use tethering. No port blocking or proxying on that one.

But even wap.cingular isn't very restrictive, if you just want in-device Internet. wap.cingular still provides full HTML browsing (either BB Browser or Opera Mini), full maps (GPS, Google Maps, Garmin Mobile, etc), full chat (MSN, AIM, ICQ, Yahoo, etc), including the ones requiring TCP/IP access. It's just that there are certain limitations, such as no tethering. So it's really not a proxy, you can use direct HTML if need be, just you can't tether.

However, if you dislike this, switch to T-Mobile instead, or another carrier where the restrictions aren't happening.

I really don't understand what your exact needs are -- if all you need is full HTML browsing if using a third party browser such as Opera Mini, you only need wap.cingular (the "WAP" name in wap.cingular is somewhat deceiving here, it's not THAT limited.)

But if you want to use BitTorrent and play Second Life or Unreal Tournament deathmatch videogames, or Grand Theft Auto multiplayer on a laptop, do definitely get the Tethering plan. Also if you need a VPN so you can function with incoming data (i.e. run servers on your cellphones or incoming connections), then you pratically need the isp.cingular, which would be far more VPN-friendly than wap.cinguar.

But if your networking needs aren't that extreme, wap.cingular is perfectly fine and that's the way it works on Cingulars' other phones, not just BlackBerries, same restrictions, not BlackBerry specific.

It all depends on how much networking goodness you wanted... If you are still unsure how much networking capabilities you need, you might wish to post in HowardForums for AT&T-specific questions, they help Cingular/AT&T questions better than AT&T's forums and BlackBerryForums. This thread isn't supposed to become an AT&T thread
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 08-08-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Closed Thread