BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 05-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
YodaBlackberry

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Running OS 6. How to get just OS 5 Calendar back!

Please Login to Remove!

I have upgrade to OS 6 on my BB 9300 (from the original installed OS 5). Is it possible to keep running OS 6, but JUST reinstall the Cod for the OS 5 or OS 4 BB Calendar?

I've been using OS 6 for several days now and love it compared to the former. However the Calendar views and functionality on OS 6 have been moderately disappointing to say the least. The visual and entry limitations when in the Day or Week views are really inconvenient because they don't show the full 8 hour range of a day in either of those views. In the full 8 hour day in the Week view as I did with OS 4 and (and I think OS 5). As well there are no quick entry points at the half hour marks when entering to make an appointment from the day or week view. Such a bummer as these made it fast and simple to see and set appointments when in a hurry.

Is it possible to reinstall just the BB Calendar from previous OS Versions, and keep running the rest of OS 6?

Much appreciated!

Last edited by YodaBlackberry; 05-28-2011 at 11:25 AM..
Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon
Default Re: Running OS 6. How to get just OS 5 Calendar back!

Nope. the calendar is part of the OS. To get the OS 5 calendar, reload OS 5.

What do you not like about the one in OS 6? Not much difference as far as i can tell.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
YodaBlackberry

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, my answer is a bit long... Using the BBSAK desktop application I added a COD file to my OS 6 containing all the sounds old ringers and notifiers from OS 5. Now my OS 6 has tons of the classic BB ringers to pick from. While doing so I noticed the huge list of COD files that are part of OS 6. Within that list were the COD file for Calendar, Messenger, etc... and basically all the individual parts of the OS system. So I thought it might be possible to separate the Calendar COD file from OS 5 using the same desktop BBSAK program, remove the COD Calendar file from OS 6 and replace it with the Calendar COD from OS 5. I don't like the new Calendar because the views and functionality on OS 6 have visual and entry limitations in the DAY or WEEK calendar views. They are really inconvenient because they don't show the full 8 hour range in either of those views. In OS 5 I could glance at the full week view and see all the days 8 hours listed from top to bottom without having to use the touch pad. As well with both WEEK and DAY views there are no entry points when viewing the calendar at the half hour marks... which made making an appointment at the half hours quick and easy. Such a bummer as these changes make it slower to make appointments, and more cumbersome to view the 8 hours for all days of the week at a quick glance.

Last edited by YodaBlackberry; 05-28-2011 at 06:59 PM..
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You are playing with fire by mixing and matching parts of OS 5 and OS 6. The hybrid that you created could be very unstable and cause a lot of incompatibilities to try to solve.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
YodaBlackberry

Thanks! The only thing I've done is add the additional sounds from OS 5 offered directly from the Blackberry Downloads/Support page for OS 6. Based on what you've said I will not be attempting a mix and match version of applications/programs from two OS. Thanks a ton for steering me clear of the BB Brick Zone!