BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sometimes Bold runs EXTREMELY hot and battery lasts only 10 minutes 4.6.0.190

Please Login to Remove!

Sometimes after I plug in my Bold it runs extremely hot and of course the battery lasts only a few minutes. When this happens, even unplugging it doesn't stop this- I have to do a battery pull. Anybody else experience this? Would this be a hardware or firmware problem?

Last edited by AllanRosen; 12-12-2008 at 08:01 AM..
Old 12-12-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: point accuracy
Carrier: AT&Tingular

I've never run into this before, but here's a very short list of things to do to resolve your problem...

1) Wipe the device using javaloader.
2) Load the OS build certified by your carrier.
3) When it starts to cook, run to a store and get it replaced.

The lithium batteries included with the Bold are very stable, but you may possibly have a defective one. If you know anyone (who is adventurous) with a like device, try trading batteries with them for a day. But chances are, you have a hardware issue of some kind. You need to be extra careful, there are many reported cases of various phones / PDA's bursting into flames and yours could be next. All of us here would hate to see you or a loved one injured in a fire.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #3
jinksy86
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: point accuracy
Carrier: AT&Tingular

....also....

Lay the battery on a very flat surface. Does it wobble or lay stable? Place a known-straight object (ruler) on the top of the battery. Are there any gaps or does it lay flat?

...extreme heat like what you describe can cause a lithium battery to expand, and it will become rounded like little balloon. If you see this, get it replaced. Don't wait, don't think about it, just get it out of your house.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #4
ipos
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone

do u see the clock icon keep appearing on your screen?
Old 12-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
mbobvu

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Mine does the same thing on .201 and .210. On the 201 it get extremely hot (coffee in styrofoam hot), i pulled out the battery and it cool down. It got really warm when I upgrade it to 210 through USB. Once done, i pulled it out and charge it with the power supply unit and it cool down. I'm noticing the unit does get hot when I am upgrading, transferring file, and rewipe and reload. I'm thinking about switch out the battery today and do some fiddling with it over the weekend to see if it'll happen again.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #6
AllanRosen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipos View Post
do u see the clock icon keep appearing on your screen?
Oddly enough, I think the answer might be yes. Through trial and error I've learned that if I hit the red terminate button as soon as I connect the charger and immediately after the clock icon appears, it won't overheat. What is the connection? Why did you think to ask the question?
Old 12-12-2008, 07:49 PM   #7
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: T-Mobile

extreme heat is not good. That means your phone is using excessive power. Something is wrong with your phone most likely.

Common problem is if the phone has gotten wet before, that type of damage can cause this.

If not you have a faulty phone. You can normally tell by opening up the phone.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
OzzieDog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

The first Bold I had the battery would overheat after 15 to 20 minutes of talk time and would restart. I would take battery out and let it cool down, had to do this several times. The last time after about 10 minutes talk time it turned itself off. I called AT&T the replaced it with a new one of course it was within the 30 days. The second one does not overheat. Just drops calls.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:58 PM   #9
ipos
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanRosen View Post
Oddly enough, I think the answer might be yes. Through trial and error I've learned that if I hit the red terminate button as soon as I connect the charger and immediately after the clock icon appears, it won't overheat. What is the connection? Why did you think to ask the question?
i believe the batt could be faulty, u might want to send your batt for exchange
Old 05-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #10
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Bumping this thread up...I'm having same problem...

My co-workers and I received company at&t Bolds about a month ago. Since then each of the 6 of us has had the same problem the OP mentioned. Yesterday it happened to me for the first time.

I noticed the unit was running very hot and the clock icon kept popping up on the screen. The battery had been 3/4 charged and was running down fast. I was working and couldn't afford to have my battery go dead right then.

I tried closing all open applications. I shut the power off and then restarted. That didn't help. So I took the battery out. The battery itself wasn't particularly warm. The hot spot was the top half of the Bold...where the bulk of the electronics are. I left the battery out for about 10 minutes until the handheld was cool again. When I put the battery back in and rebooted everything was normal. I made it through the rest of the day and did a normal recharge overnight.

We are on a company BES and thus limited in changing firmware. Thus we're using the standard at&t v.4.6.0.167. I'm wondering if I didn't pull the trigger on updating to the Bold from our 8700's too soon. Maybe the Bold isn't quiet ready for prime time?

Does anyone have any updated insight in to this problem?

tia
Old 05-04-2009, 07:22 AM   #11
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

i had that problem too, someone told me that it was a software glitch. then i updated and i've not had that problem since
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
asr10 user

Carrier: at&t

I had this problem within the first 20 min of opening and charging the bold. It charged very hot, would not charge past 85% and the clock kept randomly popping up. After a few hours, everything has been normal. Charge has been fine, no more heat, no more clock. I updated to .266 and its still been fine. Very strange, If it happens again im swapping the unit, I still might swap it because my left convenience button dosent work.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Wiseass
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9850
PIN: k Floyd \m/ ROCK!
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted (8700c)

I'm running an att bold (216 os) and its been great. Downloaded and installed pandora from the bb app store thing and I noticed the other day when I was playing music and had the bb connect via stero cable to my radio, it was hot. Not unbearably hot coffee hot, but warmer than normal. I had it out of the case on a chair next to the radio in the other room. Connected via stereo cable and plugged into wall charger to keep it going. I have noticed that during heavy data use it seems to warm up
Old 05-04-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
CoDudette
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: iOS
PIN: OT Noir.
Carrier: Vodafone IN

after i updated from .190 to .237 and .266, i've not had this problem at all, but yes, this problem did occur when i was on .190. try updating to the newest official OS, which is now .266.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #15
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

AT&T's web site shows what I have as their latest official release:

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.298 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.298
Consisting of:
Applications: 4.6.0.167
Software Platform: 4.0.0.157
File name: 9000M_PBr4.6.0_rel298_PL4.0.0.157_A4.6.0.167_AT&T. exe
File size: 93.32MB

But I've contacted our IT department and told them of the issue. I'm hoping AT&T and RIM are getting enough complaints about this issue that they'll come up with a firmware fix soon.

As I said, being on a company BES I can't just update firmware whenever I please. Doing that would mean my having to ask IT to re-do enterprise activation which may or may not work with the new firmware version.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #16
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Carrier: Tesco Mobile

I didnt have any problems on .190 battery life was better, never any overheating.
strange

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 05-04-2009, 01:05 PM   #17
eljefe
Thumbs Must Hurt

I wonder if the issue is specific to firmware in use with certain carriers...at&t being one of the offenders.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
asfalloth

Model: 8310
Carrier: o2

I've had all the bold OS's upto .266
I'm now running version 5.0.0.90, the phone still feels warm on calls over 30mins.
Tbh all phones I've ever had, not just blackberrys, have always got warm over a certain period of call time.

My bold, 8310 & 8900 all get to the same temp (approx)

Kind regards

Asfalloth.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 AM   #19
MaxPayne79
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2165f8ed
Carrier: Fido

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefe View Post
I wonder if the issue is specific to firmware in use with certain carriers...at&t being one of the offenders.
Ya im starting to get that feeling too.

When it comes to the clock i turn it off completely, because if i don't at night when i plug in my phone for charging, the display never turns off and it's really annoying. So i have it completely disabled . It's easy to do, it's one of the settings. So u might wanna turn off that clock and see if u get anymore problems cause like you, i think this is very much a software issue. And i don't think it has much to do with the battery. I think the battery inenvertantly becomes involved, but i think it's that damn clock...which comes down to poor programing but that's a whole other thread lol

I've had all sorts of firmware installed on my bold and i've never had this problem..but then i've had the clock permanently disabled since day one.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #20
adweitzsacker

I very recently acquired a Bold - v4.6.0.167 - from AT&T. Had the battery heat up & go down to probably less than 30% in a short time. This was the same day I installed the GMail application & had closed the app, but didn't sign out. Pulled the battery & reinserted with little cooling time. I make sure I log out of GMail and haven't had any problem since. Incidentally, I got the Blackberry to replace my 2 year old Treo 680 because it had started with the overheating/depleting the battery.
Closed Thread