Old 04-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #1
Feebo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: orange
Default Spacebar gone berty!

Please Login to Remove!

Hiya folks I`m hoping someone can help with this... My spacebar has a mind of it`s own. Sometimes it does a space when pressed. Sometimes it does nothing. Other times it does a full stop and then races off to the right. If I don`t keep an eye on it it`ll leave my text looking like the text of a madman! lol Letters all over the shop! I`ve slowed the curser speed to try and make it a little more managable. I`ve wiped the phone hoping it may help and nothing, it still does it. Any ideas? The button doesn`t seem to be stuck or anything. I was wondering whether it might be worth installing a different or new text program or something. Any help very gratefully recieved! This is driving me Berty aswell.....
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #2
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Spacebar gone berty!

I don't know what "berty" means, but I'm wondering if the device has had any exposure to moisture. Even a little tiny bit.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Feebo

Ah right sorry lol of course... Berty just means mad. Not as far as I know no. I see where you`re going, a flooded connection. I read somewhere that the spacebar is actually supposed to do all these different things depending on how it`s pressed but I can`t find any reference to it in the phone`s help guides or anything. Is it possible do you think that a download of a new word program could fix it?
If it were a moisture issue, I suppose drying it out would help? It`s very hot here at the moment anyway... Hmmmm..... Don`t know.... I`m open to suggestions
Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #4
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Has the device been wet or even damp? That sounds like it could be water damage.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Moisture does fit the symptoms. And Dubdub used the word damp because sometimes it does not take more than a sweaty pocket to cause issues.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #6
Feebo

Blimey if they`re THAT sensitive to moisture they`re selling these on the wrong planet..... As I say I don`t think it has been neglectfully treated or anything. A sweaty pocket could never be ruled out I don`t suppose but logically thinking if this were water damage it would likely affect more than just the spacebar I`d have thought. Can anyone think of any potential remedies? Obviously understanding possible cause is helpful in deciding on a course of action... lets say it was water damage, can it be reversed or dried out? IF it were software, what would I need to download to fix it? To be honest I`m willing to try such downloads on the off chance they`ll work. Being as we can`t say for certain what has caused this issue I`d say a little area targeting is in order.....

Last edited by Feebo; 04-24-2011 at 03:09 AM..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:30 AM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Best thing to do is go through the steps to dry it out and see if that stops the problem. See Got Your BlackBerry Wet? - BlackBerryFAQ.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
Feebo

Aah yes I read that earlier. I`ll give it a go If I upgraded the OS or something along those lines, that may help also might`nt it?
Old 04-24-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I think the odds are it is not software. Maybe the spacebar key has just failed on its own, or maybe it is moisture. If you dry it and it is still flakey, then you can try an OS reinstall or upgrade. The thing is you want to remove the battery and dry the device before you do anything else.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
Feebo

Yep will do I`ll put it up in my snake room in a bag of rice. That ought to do it!
I`ve just had a bit of a brainwave too. Is there an application or some other way, to change the function of a given key? My unit effectively has two enter buttons because pressing the tracker ball works as enter aswell. If I could have the enter key work as a space button I`d be sorted....
Closed Thread