BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:27 AM   #1
Raven VII
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7230
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default No offense to Reqwireless... but does WebViewer just completely suck?

Please Login to Remove!

Well, I'm a 'switcher', came from a T-Mobile Sidekick. Now have a T-Mobile BlackBerry 7230. I love the thing, email rocks on it, and so on...

But web browsing is a embarrassment compared to the Sidekick. A complete embarrassment. Oh well, I can live with it, I don't browse all that much when I was on the Sidekick either.

But I read all about this little app called "WebViewer". Yeah, I figured. It just gotta be better than this t-zones browser thing I had forced down my throat by T-Mobile (gee, thanks guys!). First, I used t-zones to try www.gmail.com (I didn't log in, just viewed the page for testing purposes). Works like a charm (for once! Congrulations, t-zones!). Next, I went in WebViewer, set up the APN and IP address (gee, why doesn't it just get that information automatically, like, oh, VeriChat? Now, VeriChat, THAT's a app worth paying for). Well, all set. Went to type up "www.gmail.com". Cannot connect?

Fast-forward to now. I've tried a few sites that t-zones miraculously swallows... and WebViewer can't even stick them with a fork, let alone swallow them.

Am I just getting a skewed view of WebViewer, and it's 'da shyt' in a parallel universe? Or is not 'da shyt', but actually shit?
Old 03-16-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
emmagatorone

Model: 8100

I'm using a 7100T right now but swapping for a 7290 due to my desire for a larger screen. I've been trying to get that webviewer working well as well for me. I'm not getting very much help and each little bit I get takes 1 day to get. They might be on the other side of the world or something. I don't know. It defintely has potential but until I'm happy with it and get all the bugs/issues I have with it worked out, I won't be purchasing it. I'm using the corporate version per their request (reqwireless's) since personal wasn't working. I've gotten a little bit further, but there's still things that need to get worked out.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:14 AM   #3
guinda35
CrackBerry Addict

Model: z10
Carrier: att

I Don't understand you guys. I've had Webviewer on my BES Cingular 7290 for the past 3 months, and I've found it to be a nifty browser. Well worth the $30 I shelled out.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:25 AM   #4
emmagatorone

Model: 8100

did you see the problem I am having? http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4781

right there? got a fix? I'd be more than happy to buy it if that could get fixed... nobody seems to have an answer
Old 03-16-2005, 02:55 AM   #5
Jak Crow

That's usually the error an app gets when it can't resolve a hostname for the first time, but I've never received that error with Webviewer
Old 03-16-2005, 08:31 AM   #6
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!

I've had Webviewer since last year and everything is perfect compared to any other browser available for Blackberries. I even like it over the Blackberry Browser.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven VII
Well, I'm a 'switcher', came from a T-Mobile Sidekick. Now have a T-Mobile BlackBerry 7230. I love the thing, email rocks on it, and so on...

But web browsing is a embarrassment compared to the Sidekick. A complete embarrassment. Oh well, I can live with it, I don't browse all that much when I was on the Sidekick either.

But I read all about this little app called "WebViewer". Yeah, I figured. It just gotta be better than this t-zones browser thing I had forced down my throat by T-Mobile (gee, thanks guys!). First, I used t-zones to try www.gmail.com (I didn't log in, just viewed the page for testing purposes). Works like a charm (for once! Congrulations, t-zones!). Next, I went in WebViewer, set up the APN and IP address (gee, why doesn't it just get that information automatically, like, oh, VeriChat? Now, VeriChat, THAT's a app worth paying for). Well, all set. Went to type up "www.gmail.com". Cannot connect?

Fast-forward to now. I've tried a few sites that t-zones miraculously swallows... and WebViewer can't even stick them with a fork, let alone swallow them.

Am I just getting a skewed view of WebViewer, and it's 'da shyt' in a parallel universe? Or is not 'da shyt', but actually shit?

hmm...you're coming to some conclusions I think a little prematurely. I think something must be off with your configurations. I have no problems with accessing gmail.
As for why you have to configure, well, it's not a native app like t-zone or the built in blackberry browser for one.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:23 AM   #8
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Try Paypal. You'll notice you're forced to use Reqwireless...

Some sites work better in one browser, some sites work better in the other...
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Closed Thread