Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 06:13 PM   #1
brain
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Class
Carrier: Verizon
Default BB Classic not recovering service when re-entering cell coverage area

Please Login to Remove!

I have a problem that began when I updated my BB Classic to Software Release 10.3.3.1463, OS Version 10.3.3.2205, Build ID 903214. I am not sure what version it was on before.

This part has not changed and is not the problem I am trying to solve, just the context of the problem: I get very poor & intermittent service on my Classic because I live in the shadow of some hill. So when I get a mile from home, I always forwad my BB to my land line home/office number. This works best anyway so that I can spend all day on one phone instead of two. The cellular signal indicator generally goes to the red X once I get into the dead area, only occasionally picking up a signal on the way out to the car. Reliably (as in 100% of the time), though, when I leave my home/office, I get 3/4 mile out, it picks up the cell network, and I un-forward the BB.

That is, until the BB OS update noted above maybe three weeks or a month back. Since then, once it loses the cell signal, the red X most of the time persists even once I get into the cell coverage area. I can drive all the way into town, and even in the next two hours, the red X persists. I can disable the radio and re-enable it, all to no avail. But as soon as I restart the BB, I get my cell signal back almost immediately, 100% of the time.

This is my work phone number, and being unable to un-forward it when I leave results in clients leaving messages on my home/office phone when I am out and in me being offline for hours if I do not restart my phone. I think, since the OS change, it has picked up the cell signal only once or twice, and have had to reboot at least a dozen times. This problem does not occur if I go out of cell service briefly (through a tunnel, etc). In those cases, service returns immediately.

I did a factory reset and then allowed the phone to update (via USB to BB Link on my computer). It just seems clear this is OS-related, since it began immediately upon this update. But factor reset was a big pain with all the reconfiguration I had to do again.

Ideas? Way to report a possible OS bug to the developers? Or do I just live with this.

I apologize if this comes up as a cross-post. That is not my intent; I am just not sure who follows which specific forums, and I accidentally posted this first to the general BB forum, not realizing there was a Classic-specific area. It was only when another respondent began talking about the Curve that I realized perhaps there could be a Classic-specific area and worked my way here. And I figure I may not be the only Classic user seeing this behavior.

The original discussion is here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ml#post1818370

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-05-2017, 07:21 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: BB Classic not recovering service when re-entering cell coverage area

Looking at your other thread I see you have tried the steps I would have suggested. Cycling the radio off and on would be better than restarting, but you have tried cycling the radio off and on. I take it you also reloaded the OS.

I don't know if anyone would suggest trying different radio files. I only mention it because when thinking of what you could try, as even a stab in the dark, it comes to mind. I wouldn't try and tell you how to do it, but you can find discussion of it on CrackBerry. Personally I think it is a long shot.

I really don't have a good idea for you other than keep doing the workaround you are doing and see if the next OS (if we get one) corrects the issue.

For what it's worth, I go out and in of signal and I don't see this. I have seen it way in the past on BBOS, but not on BB10.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 04-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
Digitalberg

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone
Default Re: BB Classic not recovering service when re-entering cell coverage area

Someone found a solution for the above question as I have the same issue with my BB.

We using Server with exchange and can't uninstall and install every time!

Please help!

Regards
Old 04-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

OK doing some research I found this is a problem that has been around for some time. apparently a lot of cell phones including the Samsung, Apple, LG and others have reallocation of the signal. I read that users are forced to either restart the phone or stop and start the network and data services using available settings.
To me this is a random bug that may be related to internal hardware because it is not seen on all models. Possibly different manufacturing runs using some electronics from different sources are at fault.
It does take the phone to know the signal is gone and cause some type of internal connection to the radio.
So it seems this is not going away anytime soon. I would see if others you know are seeing this issue also. Not sure what you can do except try another phone and see if it helps. Maybe the carrier will give you a replacement for free if you tell them of the issue, maybe not.

If you do an internet search you can find various signal test sites.
Search for "How to test your cell phone signal" and you can see if your in a good area and the quality of your cell's radio on some sites.

I have not used these sites and don not recommend any but maybe someone who has used them can comment.

Another few sites are below. They can show you the cell sites in your area or where you travel. Example in my area ATT is rated 2 out of 5. Typical ATT quality in my area. Verizon was rated 4 out 5 .

AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

CellReception | Find a better signal.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #5
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Apple has information on their site on how to fix the problem of searching for a signal. They suggest the same thing as others do , restart the phone. they do make a comment that the issue is likely due to people dropping the phone in the toilet(???).

So bottom line is it's a common problem toilet or no toilet.
Closed Thread