BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #1
vfxraven

Model: 7250
Carrier: Sprint
Thumbs down Enterprise Activation issue w/ single user

Please Login to Remove!

I am having trouble activating a Blackberry 7250 for an employee. I would do the normal thing on the BES server (add user, add to group, assign policy, send email & activation code). After that I would have his secretary forward me the email w/ activation code so I can go ahead and activate his device. upon entering his email correctly and his activation password and selecting Activate, I am prompted with the:

Activating...

I would see the up and down arrows to indicate some sort of activity, but then it stops that and I will get the:

"An error occurred. Please contact your System Administrator."

I tried manually adding the device PIN in the BES Manager, IT Policy override, and also manually setting a Activation password and it results in the same error.

Some things my coworkers and I suspected was maybe the size of his MS Exchange mailbox or the fact he has his company email (the same one I am using to activate his BB device) is being forwarded to another offsite/company email account. We scratched out that his inbox size may be the problem because I activated another employee who had an enourmous inbox and his activated w/o a problem (synced and everything).

Can his company email being forwarded cause the Enterprise Activation to fail?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
b00st3d
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

have you tried local desktop activation instead of over-the-air activation?
Old 09-07-2006, 12:49 PM   #3
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

nah... this used to happen with us on groupwise sometimes. We'd have to remove the user completely from BES and re-add them.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
vfxraven

I had tried deleting the user and adding him back in (unless I am doing the delete wrong in the Blackberry Manager?). Right now we have disabled his email forwarding and we are attempting to do activation again. Hopefully that was the case... Thx for replies
Old 09-07-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
markerman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: verizon
Default Activation process

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxraven
I had tried deleting the user and adding him back in (unless I am doing the delete wrong in the Blackberry Manager?). Right now we have disabled his email forwarding and we are attempting to do activation again. Hopefully that was the case... Thx for replies

When doing a wireless activation the device sends a message to the users inbox via the internet. This message contains incrypted data for the BES to pickup. If that message is being instantly forwarded somewhere esle and not getting into the users inbox then the BES will not be able to pick the message up and perform the activation process. NOTE! If the users email is being forwarded somewhere before it arrives in the inbox it will not get delivered to the Blackberry. Configure forwarding to put a copy of all forwarded email in the users inbox as well. By Inbox I am refering to the mailbox that the BES server is monitoring.
Old 09-07-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
vfxraven

It seems my attempt before that his forwarded email setting was not turned off. So we had to goto our AD and turn that off for sure in Exchange.

I attempted to activate his device again, and this time it doesn't error out, but just sits at "Activating..." forever.

Now we're stuck here... :\

*UPDATE*

It timed out with "The server is not responding. Please contact your system administrator." after waiting a VERY LONG TIME.

Last edited by vfxraven; 09-07-2006 at 04:43 PM..
Old 09-08-2006, 10:11 AM   #7
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Does a message from [email address] ever show up in his inbox?

Is the handheld enabled for BES services with the carrier (Verizon/Sprint)
Old 09-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #8
bertiebassett
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: O2

assuming it's just this user and everyone elsoe is fine then check, double check and re-check the provisioningin of the user with the carrier - this soves 50% of all known activation issues.

Remove the user from BES. wipe their device. Run dbclean.exe (search here for more info). Re-add the user, actviate the device (preferably via a wire)

Should knock that one on the head..
Old 09-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
vfxraven

Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. But seems like evrything was squared away after I left. There was indeed and issue with the user's mailbox. He previously had a blackberry from another company and was getting annoyed from the messages the BES Server was sending during the activation processes. Another coworker was in charge setting up this previous BB device and after activation, set up an Outlook rule which moved these important bb activation emails into another folder. <--- This damn rule setup in outlook is what messed me up and left me cofuse on why his new BB device wasn't getting activated. They had to disable that outlook rule and Enterprise Activation went through.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
|||||||
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 7100
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxraven
Sorry I didn't get back here sooner. But seems like evrything was squared away after I left. There was indeed and issue with the user's mailbox. He previously had a blackberry from another company and was getting annoyed from the messages the BES Server was sending during the activation processes. Another coworker was in charge setting up this previous BB device and after activation, set up an Outlook rule which moved these important bb activation emails into another folder. <--- This damn rule setup in outlook is what messed me up and left me cofuse on why his new BB device wasn't getting activated. They had to disable that outlook rule and Enterprise Activation went through.
AHAHAHHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHA, That's awesome.

Chalk this one up to a wetware issue.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Or the other option, make sure they leave outlook closed before activating, though really they shouldn't have that enabled anyway.

I had a VP that got so much spam that he set a rule that forwarded all mail not from our domain into the trash..... NIIIIICE!

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #12
Lord_FH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Vodafone

I've had similar with 7100v's and the resolution was to update the handheld software as Vodafone in the UK ships them with the basic build.

I've lost 3 days already
Old 09-25-2006, 12:49 PM   #13
autsoldnow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Telus

a couple of things;

1. your empolyees BB needs to be replaced - I have had my own empolyees getting signal but not recieving or sending emails even after I wiped the phone and install a new OS; turned out something broken inside the phone and once we got it replaced it was fine.

2. try downloading the latest firmware for your employees phone; wipe it out completely and load the latest firmware into it. See if you can activate the phone with EA, if it doesn't work resort to #1 and call the local dealer asap.

Andrew
Old 09-25-2006, 10:37 PM   #14
ksteinman

Model: 87--

note that if you are bringing a blackberry in from an outside source or letting one go out the door with a former employee, make sure the user is removed from the IT Policy. The IT Policy does not get removed by wiping from the device!!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #15
CSmith0203

Model: 7520

Try this...I had the same exact problem, and this is what finally got me through:

Issues that occur when the BlackBerry device displays the Services Received status include the following:

The BlackBerry device stops responding with the message "Waiting for Services". This may occur because the "BlackBerry Policy Service" is not running, or it cannot send the IT policy or service books to the BlackBerry device. Check if the "BlackBerry Policy Service" is running, or restart the "BlackBerry Policy Service".
The BlackBerry device rejects the IT policy pushed from the "BlackBerry Policy Service"; the activation process is terminated due to security restrictions. Generally, this means that the BlackBerry device has a current IT policy from another BlackBerry Enterprise Server.
Tip: If this occurs, have the BlackBerry device user perform a security wipe of the BlackBerry device in order to remove the existing IT policy. Then, remove the BlackBerry device user account from the BlackBerry Enterprise Server and add it again.
____

So basically,in BES, right click on your server under the "Blackberry Manager". Then go to service control...see if "Blackberry Policy Service" is in the "Start Service" category...if it is, click it and this will start the Blackberry Policy service. Once you have done this...wipe the handheld, delete the user from BES, re-add the user, and start the activation process again.

This solved my problem and I havent had a problem activating since I found this out.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by CSmith0203; 10-11-2006 at 09:44 PM..
Closed Thread