BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #1
SugarMouth
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Who left Blackberry only to come back?

Please Login to Remove!

Who of you left Blackberry to try another OS (iPhone or Android) and came back to using a Blackberry? For what reasons did you come back? I just ordered a BB9700 but use Android right now as a daily driver and would appreciate opinions.

Last edited by SugarMouth; 09-11-2010 at 10:50 PM..
Old 09-12-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Never left,
Each phone has a different design and will accommodate different needs.
If everyone only had access to one version then your choice would be limited. The original Motorola xxx8220;bagxxx8221; phones had none of the features we see today. The primary offering from RIM is for business and the security it offers. Based on the trends, RIM is moving to the market demands for other features found in its competitors. The Other phones offer different levels from basic phone to full windows type use. The market does follow the trends it sees and thatxxx8217;s why RIM came out with the touch screen phones. The merging of all the various things these ( Iphone, Android, Blackberry) do may someday give us one device that will offer just about any option desired, maybe like current PCxxx8217;s but I doubt it.

This is only one opinion but Ixxx8217;m sure you will get others.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:24 PM   #3
drewdinardo

Model: tour
Carrier: sprint
Default Htc hero to 8703e

I just bought a used bb 8703e to replace my htc hero. I was sick of the lag and constant dead battery. Used 8703e for 40 bucks will hold me over until contract is up and can get a new blackberry. I did leave bb for hero when my sprint bb tour trackball never worked.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
SugarMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewdinardo View Post
I just bought a used bb 8703e to replace my htc hero. I was sick of the lag and constant dead battery. Used 8703e for 40 bucks will hold me over until contract is up and can get a new blackberry. I did leave bb for hero when my sprint bb tour trackball never worked.

Your right that hero has got to be slowest Android I have used. The Sense UI over Android with a slower processor made that phone slow. Android did not get to be a pleasure to use until 2.1 came out. As for battery life nothing is like a BB but my Samsung Vibrant is as good as it gets for a large screen phone. The trick is to not use many widgets that constantly update in the background.

I am looking forward to the BB9700 as I loved my 8320 years ago.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:45 PM   #5
SugarMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Never left,
Each phone has a different design and will accommodate different needs.
If everyone only had access to one version then your choice would be limited. The original Motorola “bag” phones had none of the features we see today. The primary offering from RIM is for business and the security it offers. Based on the trends, RIM is moving to the market demands for other features found in its competitors. The Other phones offer different levels from basic phone to full windows type use. The market does follow the trends it sees and that’s why RIM came out with the touch screen phones. The merging of all the various things these ( Iphone, Android, Blackberry) do may someday give us one device that will offer just about any option desired, maybe like current PC’s but I doubt it.

This is only one opinion but I’m sure you will get others.
You know I hope 6.0 with the webkit browser improves the web experience. I tested my Vibrant to a BB9700 and loaded the same page on the same network, this was a disappointment. The browser took a very longtime to load and was missing information. To be fair, I have tested my Vibrant to other Androids and iPhones over the same wifi network and it loads pages faster than anything else except for my Cyanogen 6.0 Nexus One.

I am looking forward to the hard keyboard. I like being able to end a call by feel for example. On a touchscreen phone you have to look for the "end call" icon before ending a call.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #6
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Palm Treo > BlackBerry. My first BlackBerry was the 7230, and then the 7730 and the 7105t. Then the multimedia bug hit me.
BlackBerry > Nokia N95. But it turns out I didn't use the multimedia stuff and was spending all my time trying to make the Nokia better at messaging and PIM. I tried the E71 and E90 from Nokia as well. Better, but not BlackBerry caliber. And that E90 was a freakin' brick!
Nokia > BlackBerry. A homecoming of sorts. I jumped on the 8100, moved to full QWERTY with an 8300 and finally the 9000. But my curiosity got the better of me and I made another switch.
BlackBerry to Palm Pre. That lasted just long enough for me to get the factory rebate on the Pre, which I wanted to keep as a backup and to watch the development of WebOS, but the Pre felt like a beta release at best. None of the promised apps available, no customization options for email alerts, and no unified inbox for multiple accounts. Again I found myself trying to turn the Palm Pre into a BlackBerry which was both futile and stupid. So, back to RIM.
Palm Pre > BlackBerry. I even ported from AT&T to Sprint for that Palm Pre, but after going back to BlackBerry I stayed with Sprint. 8330, 9630, 9650. Once again, the lure of something new and different has me experimenting. This time it's Android.
BlackBerry > Samsung Epic 4G. 4" Super AMOLED screen. 'Nuf said. I've got to try it. A couple of co-workers have Moto Droids and rave about them. I was all set to grab an EVO when the Epic 4G came out. After checking them out side by side it was close, but the need for a physical keyboard was the tipping point. My BlackBerry is never far away though. In fact, it's in a charging cradle on my shelf, poised to come back into service.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Yikes Rambo,
You have had more different phone experiences than most

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-12-2010, 10:56 PM   #8
SugarMouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Palm Treo > BlackBerryThis time it's Android.
BlackBerry > Samsung Epic 4G. 4" Super AMOLED screen. 'Nuf said. I've got to try it. A couple of co-workers have Moto Droids and rave about them. I was all set to grab an EVO when the Epic 4G came out. After checking them out side by side it was close, but the need for a physical keyboard was the tipping point. My BlackBerry is never far away though. In fact, it's in a charging cradle on my shelf, poised to come back into service.
Thats a great phone the Epic! I would like to hear your opinion of Android after getting used to it.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:17 AM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosnitzky View Post
Yikes Rambo,
You have had more different phone experiences than most
Heh, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I've owned around 400 phones in the last ten years, including 44 BlackBerry devices.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
roban

Model: 9530
Carrier: Credo

I gave up my Storm a couple of years ago to get a iPhone but with the lack of signal where I live I had to switch from AT&T to Verizon (I hate them) and got an LG Ally. Even with Verizon the signal was so bad in my home that I had to use a Samsung Network Extender that I bought for $150. IMHO the Ally is a terrible phone and I just couldn't get used to it. I recently switched to Credo Mobile on the Sprint network and got a BB Curve 8530 and I'm loving it. I am able to make and receive calls from my home as well.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
Heh, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but I've owned around 400 phones in the last ten years, including 44 BlackBerry devices.
You probably should work as a reviewer.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #12
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMouth View Post
Thats a great phone the Epic! I would like to hear your opinion of Android after getting used to it.
I assume you saw this link. iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum - BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 09-13-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
balansboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Evo
Carrier: Sprint

I just left BB and got an Evo. I love it, but I know I will be back to BB. I miss the BB platform for sure. Not a business phone and i use internet and a lot of apps for fun. I would have gone with the Torch, but there is no telling how long it will take Sprint to get an similar phone. As soon as they do though, I will be back for sure.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
parkcyc

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

I think a big thing with all of this is the network. And from my experience, Sprint is under rated. Yeah, the other two have some hot phones, but if you are always dropping calls, they suck! I had Verizon and according to them, they have the most cell towers on the route I always did. I got dropped over 100 times in the 120 mile trip!! And customer service was a nightmare with both! AT&T was horrible and always trying to charge me more than they were supposed to and Verizon would do the same.
I have had 3 of the 4 carriers and have had a Blackberry and thought about switching just for the touch screen and apps. But I love my Berry and just wish i could get a touchy one on Sprint.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #15
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

Never left BlackBerry, never had a reason to. The phone does what I need.

And I'm not one to jump on the latest fad/attention getter.

90% of what you hear is always good never the bad.. My co-workers have Androids/Nokias/BlackBerry, it's a mixed review everyone like things about the phone they have and dislike features as well.

I like the BlackBerry for it's communication capabilities. Twitter/FB/SMS/MM/Email/IM sure any phone can do that nowadays, but I've never had a reason to look at another phone.

I'm typically updating to the latest BlackBerry when I can, so it's not like I'm living in the past, just one sided

Follow me on Twitter
Old 09-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #16
SugarMouth

Well my 9700 comes tomorrow. I'm going to use Blackberry as my primary phone for a few weeks and see if I miss Android after I get used to the new OS.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #17
nestea69

Model: 9000
Carrier: orange

im comin home !
switched from my 2nd iphone 3g to a blackberry 9000
Old 09-15-2010, 02:27 PM   #18
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

no phone is perfect for everyone

I have tried a few different ones out over the years, I always long for a BlackBerry device in the end. Just wish I was able to get one sooner than Nov 09. Boss is such a cheapo.

I have less issues with BlackBerry devices at the office than all the other devices we have. 75% of all devices are BlackBerry, you would think there would be more issues since we have more of them.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread