BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
mase001
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Default Send End Keys dont work and browser lock up?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all,

First, I want to say that I did a search for "send end keys wont work" and didnt get anything. Here is my problem. Occasionally, when I am going back on the browser, the keys lock up and I am not able to get the back/escape key to work OR the menu key to work redering the browser useless. After 30 minutes or so it will start to work again. Also, sometimes the send/end keys dont work, so I cannot exit an app by hitting end, and I cannot access my recent calls by hitting send.

Anybody heard of this? Any fixes? It is Tmo....

Thanks!
Mason
Old 11-15-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mase001
Hello all,

First, I want to say that I did a search for "send end keys wont work" and didn't get anything. Here is my problem. Occasionally, when I am going back on the browser, the keys lock up and I am not able to get the back/escape key to work OR the menu key to work rendering the browser useless. After 30 minutes or so it will start to work again. Also, sometimes the send/end keys don't work, so I cannot exit an app by hitting end, and I cannot access my recent calls by hitting send.

Anybody heard of this? Any fixes? It is Tmo....

Thanks!
Mason
I have gone on record as saying that the Pearl operating system is just like your desktop PC. It crashes every once in awhile, especially if you go a few days without resetting the phone or when using the phone's multi-media features [camera, video player, MP3 player].

There also seems to be crashes when we enter certain nonsensical key command combinations or switch between apps too quickly.

When you think about it, we are asking the Pearl to do quite a lot in that little 3.2 oz phone, it's a wonder it works at all.

Just reset the phone when it freezes up or crashes.

The manual only obscurely mentions how to reset the phone. It's buried in there.

To reset, remove the battery, replace after about 5 seconds. If the problem does not go away, reset again. Try about 3 times before calling tech support or doing something more drastic [like wiping the phone and reinstalling the operating system, or worse, returning the phone for an exchange].

Sidenote: I find myself resetting the phone about once a day, after using the video player and backing out of that feature too fast.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-15-2006 at 11:34 AM..
Old 11-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
rlibson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Having the same problems....

the phone does have the equivalent of a ctrl+alt+delete to get out of freezes i cant remember the sequence but I am sure it is in the FAQ's or wikis.

Resetting once a day is inexcusable, I use the blackberry for the robustness of the system, if I wanted to soft reset everyday I would be using a Treo.

I hope that RIM irons out the kinks and soon. These issues will leave a bad taste in the mouth of all the non smartphone users that they have successfully converted.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
SanFrancisco
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlibson
Resetting once a day is inexcusable, I use the blackberry for the robustness of the system, if I wanted to soft reset everyday I would be using a Treo.
My experience with computers, which is extensive, is that the more I ask a computer to do, the more likely it will overload and crash.

On my desktops I do audio and video editing, work with pic editing programs, scanners and video games, and databases. I find myself having to reboot maybe two times a day, at least if I want optimum performance.

I don't think the Pearl is any different. Seems that little OS, in that little phone, is doing quite a bit. Add to that the hundreds of ways individual users can gum up the works, well it's no wonder there are crashes.

I suspect as time goes on the bugs will be worked out and RIM will be able to address all the ways users can gum up the system. But that takes time, just like it has taken MS years to get XP refined to the extent it does not require a reboot every few hours.

I'm not saying the Pearl is perfect, just acknowledging the realities. I guess RIM could have held off on the Pearl's release and done another year of beta testing, but I'm glad they made it available now.

Seems to me there are not too many complex electronic devices using operating system software that are perfect on initial release, at least not until such get into the hands of users who will eventually discover defects that need fixing.

In any event, while I have nothing to base this on, I suspect that the Pearl has performed well for those whom RIM is targeting the Pearl [casual, non-professional users]. I heard that the Pearl has less than a 2% return rate, if not lower. That's pretty good in any industry. So I have to assume the phone is performing as advertised.

Last edited by SanFrancisco; 11-15-2006 at 06:35 PM..
Closed Thread