BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 05:39 AM   #261
adorableone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T US

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.1.7196/1662; en; U; ssr))

My opera browser works after the upgrade (from TIM), but just not as well and its frustrating!

Last edited by adorableone; 05-21-2007 at 05:40 AM..
Old 05-21-2007, 09:28 AM   #262
billclark
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I've occasionally seen this in messages too.....

It seems like each time RIM comes out with an OS update they create as many bugs as they fix. ... Opera no longer works in some OS's ... double letters when dialing letters with the alt key ...

/rant
To be fair, Opera no longer working on some of the newer OS's isn't RIM's problem. If they make a change to core code that breaks a feature of another application, or another application all together, that's the responsibility of the 3rd Party Vendor to fix their application to work on the updated OS. You don't see Microsoft rewriting applications for all the vendors who's products no longer work in Vista, so it's unfair to blame that on RIM.

I will, however, agree with you on the "Letter Dialing" in the phone application. Though I don't use it often at all, it's frustrating as hell to have to picture a phone keypad in my head as I dial numbers ;)

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:02 AM   #263
billclark

Model: 8120

Aaaargh! I think I'm going to lose my mind over this one. I just got one of the RIM Lambskin Leather holsters for my Pearl (been carrying it naked other than the BSE skin since I got it), and I've come across a VERY annoying issue.

Any of you who have/had an 8700 and loaded the Today themes on it will likely be familiar with this issue. Prior to getting this holster, I never saw this issue, so I'm going to say it's related to the sleeper magnet in it.

When you receive a text message, the sender and part of the message will show up under SMS on the today screen. After you read the message, the sender and part of the message will remain in there until you, A). pull the battery to reboot; or B). mark the SMS unopened then mark it opened. This only happens when the message is received while the device is in the holster. If I leave it out of the holster and send myself or receive an SMS from someone else, this doesn't happen.

When I was your age, Pluto was still a planet.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #264
E46FLEXIN

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclark View Post
To be fair, Opera no longer working on some of the newer OS's isn't RIM's problem. If they make a change to core code that breaks a feature of another application, or another application all together, that's the responsibility of the 3rd Party Vendor to fix their application to work on the updated OS. You don't see Microsoft rewriting applications for all the vendors who's products no longer work in Vista, so it's unfair to blame that on RIM.

I will, however, agree with you on the "Letter Dialing" in the phone application. Though I don't use it often at all, it's frustrating as hell to have to picture a phone keypad in my head as I dial numbers ;)
So basically, Opera doesnt work with this OS?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM   #265
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I have Opera 3.1 working in this OS. It didn't in .66.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 PM   #266
nynativecagirl@yahoo.com

Model: storm
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Talking trouble with multitape since changing to OS Rogers

I'm jumping in here. I switched to the Rogers 4.2.1.148 and the multitype mess is driving me crazy. it's only some keys but it's enough to make me nuts. also, reading one of the messages before just checked my ringtones and sure enough they are different. and Tinkerbell has run off!!! that was a really good alarm clock tone. can anyone figure out how to get the multitap to work properly. cannot stand trying to type H and getting a bunch of g's same with a bunch of other keys. Other than that, the upgrade went great, but it did take a while to reset and start up. did notice some features do not have SAVE anymore, it just automatically saves whatever you do. thats a plus.!

http://www.myspace.com/nynativecagirl
Old 05-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #267
compaq

Carrier: dos

I need you send T-Mobile - 8100 v4.2.1.94.Thanks!!!
[email address]
Old 05-22-2007, 01:50 AM   #268
E46FLEXIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by compaq View Post
I need you send T-Mobile - 8100 v4.2.1.94.Thanks!!!
[email address]
HUH? Anyways, anyone else having the problem of "searching for network" when they send SMS text? After sending a text, it would say that for a few seconds and then send it.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:38 AM   #269
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynativecagirl@yahoo.com View Post
I'm jumping in here. I switched to the Rogers 4.2.1.148 and the multitype mess is driving me crazy. it's only some keys but it's enough to make me nuts. also, reading one of the messages before just checked my ringtones and sure enough they are different. and Tinkerbell has run off!!! that was a really good alarm clock tone. can anyone figure out how to get the multitap to work properly. cannot stand trying to type H and getting a bunch of g's same with a bunch of other keys. Other than that, the upgrade went great, but it did take a while to reset and start up. did notice some features do not have SAVE anymore, it just automatically saves whatever you do. thats a plus.!
The only work around i've found is to use suretype and to be honest i'm kinda getting used to it.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 05-22-2007, 07:04 AM   #270
ajs3898

Model: 8320
PIN: CUSHION
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪
Question

i have a t-mobile pearl 8100. I have the latest update available software version on the t-mo website (.64 i believe). I have this problem, when someone calls me, i hit the green send button to answer the call and i spend like 5 seconds saying hello a billion times before the person calling me can hear me. I can hear them right away as i push the answer button, but they cant hear me. its a long 5 seconds too. would the upgrade fix this problem? and i read this rogers version has some bugs of its own, any experienced users out there think upgrading the software would be worth it to me? fix some bugs but possibly gain some different ones? thanks in advance.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:05 AM   #271
John Clark
BBF Moderator

What do you use for a ringtone? Is it an mp3 or a standard BB ringtone? I was told by a TMo rep that they were going to be releasing the 4.2.1 OS for the Pearl "soon" (whatever that means.)
Old 05-22-2007, 07:08 AM   #272
ajs3898

lol fast reply..thanks. i use a mp3 from my 2gb chip.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:10 AM   #273
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Try changing it to a standard BB ringtone and see if the problem continues. That was a common problem and it seems like someone traced it to using certain mp3's for ringtones. Also, try moving the specific mp3 ringtone to the device memory and see if that helps.

You can upgrade to this OS....It has a few bugs of it's own. Read the posts in this thread to find out what they are. As I said, I was told TMo would be releasing a supported version "soon." I don't know just when that will be or just what version it will be.

Last edited by John Clark; 05-22-2007 at 07:11 AM..
Old 05-22-2007, 07:12 AM   #274
ajs3898

cool, thank you sir for the info, i will be trying that.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:46 AM   #275
ajs3898

man u fixed all my problems with the 8100...i was really digging the phone untill i figured out this problem, it was really turning me off from the blackberrys...thanks for saving me some money, i was ready to get rid of it and go back to the sidekick 3...(shudders)

thanks again
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #276
rouen1969
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
PIN: 312D2644
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46FLEXIN View Post
So basically, Opera doesnt work with this OS?
I've had no real issues w/ this new OS... Opera s working, pics fine, etc... I am not a genius on tech stuff, I guess I just got lucky!!!

Last edited by rouen1969; 05-22-2007 at 01:23 PM..
Old 05-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #277
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookie View Post
INFO: for those of you that you are using 4.2.1.94 and Idokorro Mobile Admin - there is a bug in this version of RIM firmware. When you try to switch between Suretype and Multitap, let's say in PING - it immediately crashes.
I've informed Idokorro and they reported this bug to RIM.
Looks like in any other version it works fine (confirmed in 4.2.1.93).
This is a bug in the RIM OS 4.2.1.94 for the 8100 that we have reported to RIM, hopefully it will be fixed in future releases. It affects all 3rd party applications which use standard RIM TextFields UI's.

We have found a workaround in order to resolve the problem:
- Click Options
- Click Advanced Options
- Click Applications
- Highlight the 3rd Party Application which is crashing
- Click "Edit Permissions" from the menu
- Expand "Interactions" by pressing space on it
- Change the "Device Settings" option to "Allow".
- Click Save
Old 05-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #278
morrow95

Model: 8900
Carrier: tmobile

Just loaded this and noticed if you 'view history' for any of your calls then you have the option to add notes to that particular call. Afterwards it will display a little icon next to that phone call, time, and date.

Was this in earlier releases or did I just never notice it before?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #279
richard_leeds

Carrier: O2 - UK

Is it OK to use this firmware with an UK network? I'm on O2.

Also, how can I find out about the alx file that gets mentioned? What does Jibi's version do??

Thanks

Richard
Old 05-23-2007, 02:08 AM   #280
falconbrad

Alright, I installed .1.94 when it first came out and hated it (mostly because of major rendering and lockup issues I was having with the myFaves app). I ended up downgrading to .0.73 and loving it, for the most part. But I missed some of the newer features (like separating emails and SMS messages), so I decided to give it another shot, this time completely wiping the handheld before I did it.

So I used javaloader to do a wipe and then installed the latest release. The following is a list of issues that I am having, ranging from annoying to ridiculous. I am thinking of sending these to RIM (has anyone actually tried doing that - not for support, but just to press them to fix some of the problems/make sure they're aware of them?), so if you guys are experiencing the same things, let me know. I'm mostly curious.

-The myFaves app was still acting up even after a clean install. Meaning while scrolling through your five, it would just randomly skip your target, or lock up (visually) for a second before continuing on. I also had name overwriting issues when I scrolled off the myFaves app and odd rendering issues that I can only describe as "clipping." I ended up erasing the "net_rim_tmo_five" module from my BBerry so I wouldn't have to deal with it. This also fixed the issue where my myFaves contacts, if receiving or making a call from/to them through the myFaves app or using Voice Dialing, would appear as a different contact in my Call Log than if I called them using the Call Log or the Address Book. Come on, RIM, that's such BS...

-In the Call Log, I have it set to show my call history. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I need to make a call, I generally just hit the green call button, wait for the call log to pop up, and start typing someone's name. Now, when I scroll down to their name, their numbers are supposed to pop up indented underneath (you all know what I'm talking about) immediately. This is how it happened in .73. In the latest release, with a name highlighted, it takes anywhere from 1 to 3 seconds for the number to appear. What's up with that?

-When you're on the phone with someone and another call comes in, and you choose to drop the current call and take the new one, the photo shown in the call dialog doesn't update... It remains the one from the first call you were on and doesn't change to reflect the call waiting call you just took.

-The double-typing issue... When dialing an alpha number, alternating letters are double-entered. You can get around that by deleting and then re-typing, but it's such an unnecessary pain in the a**.

-This is something I've never understood... Less a bug and more a feature request. Why, when you have an incoming call, does the dialog only show a photo (if there is one), the name, and the number. There's a critical piece of information missing there... Which number is it?? Mobile, work, etc. This is shown, of course, once you answer the phone, but if you're like me, and you see the person's name and then hit talk while bringing the phone to your ear, then you have to either train yourself to slow down, pull it away to look, or reference the call log later. Why don't they include all of this information to begin with? Duh...

-Why does it take like 3 minutes of hourglassing to view your photos the first time around? The last release I was using didn't have this problem. Sure, it might take 10 or 15 seconds, but minutes? Yeah...

-General slowness. I don't get the hourglassing while scrolling through my apps that I used to get, but the interface is undeniably slower.

If any of you have suggestions on how to address any of these... Let me know. Otherwise I'm downgrading and forwarding my grievances to RIM, as we all should if we ever want to see them do anything about it.
Closed Thread