Old 05-30-2007, 11:33 PM   #1
BadTA

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Question VPN Client for 8830

Please Login to Remove!

Hello all!

I just ordered the 8830 for Verizon and I am going to need a VPN Client for it. It will need to connect to a Cisco 3000 Concentrator. Can someone please point me to such an app?

Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 03:36 AM   #2
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

If you're using a BES, you should have a direct connection to your corporate network through it, so you shouldn't need a VPN (which I've never heard of anyway!).

The BlackBerry Browser routes through the BES, not your carrier's network (as the WAP browser does), or the Internet (as the Internet Browser does).

I know this because if I use the WAP browser to go to Yahoo!, I come up with Cingular's MediaNet version of that site rather than Yahoo's which I get with both the Internet Browser and the BlackBerry Browser.

If I use the BlackBerry Browser to try to get to a site blocked by my company, I get their Site Blocked page, but can get to it with the Internet and WAP Browsers.

You will have problems, however, if you need to authenticate into your company's Intranet sites. I don't know if there are any solutions to that problem. However, if you're trying to use something like a remote control program, it should work as long as you can set it to use your BES connection.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
dcantrel
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

check out Idokorro they have a couple of apps that might help you, I use the Mobile Admin and the Mobile Desktop products daily.
Old 05-31-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
BadTA

On my Treo, I use an application called MovianVPN, this connects me to my VPN concentrator at work and I can send/receive email as well as connect to my servers. I don't think BES or Idokorro will get me what I need. I may be wrong so if I am please let me know.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #5
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTA View Post
On my Treo, I use an application called MovianVPN, this connects me to my VPN concentrator at work and I can send/receive email as well as connect to my servers. I don't think BES or Idokorro will get me what I need. I may be wrong so if I am please let me know.

Any other ideas?
The BES server acts exactly like a VPN server, it maintains a secure always connected connection between your BlackBerry and your company network. It also connects to your mail server and automatically pushes mail between your company mail server and your BlackBerry over this secure connection. You can also use 3rd applications like the Idokorro products to connect to your servers using the BES server's secure connection.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
BadTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais View Post
The BES server acts exactly like a VPN server, it maintains a secure always connected connection between your BlackBerry and your company network. It also connects to your mail server and automatically pushes mail between your company mail server and your BlackBerry over this secure connection. You can also use 3rd applications like the Idokorro products to connect to your servers using the BES server's secure connection.
Great! This sounds like exactly what I need. Now, I just need to figure out how to get and install this BES server.

Thank you!
Old 06-01-2007, 07:22 PM   #7
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTA View Post
Great! This sounds like exactly what I need. Now, I just need to figure out how to get and install this BES server.

Thank you!
The BES server is something that is usually setup by your IT department, if you work for a large company they may already have one installed. I believe there is a free express edition that your company can download as well.
More information on the BES can be found here:
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Enterprise Server | Integrate Enterprise Applications, Data & Wireless Communication
Closed Thread