BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Patton, Godfather and Outlaw Josey Wells are man movies. hmmmph
I do a pretty darn good Brando godfather impersonation! I used to practice that as a kid over and over a lot until I finally got the "cotton balls in the cheeks" sound right without having to actually use cotton. Have I ever mentioned way back when I was actually a Theatre major (sets, props & lights) for many years? I have more theatre classes buried in my college transcripts than most people think healthy. (yes, even took makeup and costuming classes...)

Working in computer tech was a complete accident - one day a guy offered me a good paying job, the rest is history.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: do not use

Hi guys,
There's a notepad application in eFile. It works for me when I need to read a txt file. And it's free.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #23
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Dan, how large a file size will it take?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM   #24
Redflea

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A

Dollars 5 Complete » txtNotes for Blackberry 8800, 8300 and 8100

Dollars5 has a standalone txt application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollars5
Features
xxx8226; Highly optimized Blackberry® 8800, Blackberry® 8300 and Blackberry® Pearlxxx8482; 8100 smartphones
xxx8226; ASCII Text files creation
xxx8226; Saving Text files to device memory and card memory
xxx8226; Search for text files and with ability to use recent searches
xxx8226; Importing a Memopad memo as text file
xxx8226; Export a text file as memopad memo
xxx8226; User friendly interface
xxx8226; More menu commands
xxx8226; E-mailing text files as attachments (beta implementation)
xxx8226; One-time payment xxx8211; lifelong Free upgrades and bug fixes
xxx8226; Premier customer support via e-mail and community forums
Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM   #25
luc-mobile
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Claro

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbra View Post
There's a notepad application in eFile. It works for me when I need to read a txt file. And it's free.
I have eFile. That notepad is horrible. It's too limited and clumsy. Besides, it freezes the phone in almost every time I try to open any text file with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflea View Post
Dollars5 has a standalone txt application
I've commented on that one. It takes too long to open large files and there is no font selection. The one font it uses is arguably ugly and certainly too small/narrow/cramped.

Last edited by luc-mobile; 01-31-2008 at 12:26 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 01:06 PM   #26
Redflea

Model: 8130

Missed that...yeah, the font is pretty ugly, I wouldn't argue w/you on that at all.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:01 PM   #27
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Dan, how large a file size will it take?
Not really large, it handled files up to approximately 100 kb for me.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:18 PM   #28
bbman1001

Model: 8320
Carrier: TMO
Unhappy Help needed for Mobipocket problem

I installed Mobipocket reader on my bb, and I have the 6 beta on the desktop. My ebooks will not trasfer to my memory card. I can transfer by explorer, but MP does not find them.

When I start MR on bb, I get message: "The application mobireader has attempted to open a connection to a location inside the firewall and outside the firewall which is not allowed by your IT policy."

I contacted bb support, and they assured me that my bb has no IT policy. I purchased it from TMO for my personal use.

I have read most of the relevant posts from various forums, but I am yet to find a solution.

Any and all help with the mobireader problem will be appreciated.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:31 PM   #29
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

bbman... look at this:
Go to Options > Security > General Settings > scroll to the bottom of the screen, under "services". What is under "services"?
Old 02-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #30
ubizmo

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbra View Post
Hi guys,
I'm unable to get anything but what appears to be the trial version of eFile Pro.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:35 AM   #31
danbra
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo View Post
I'm unable to get anything but what appears to be the trial version of eFile Pro.
ePad is there, when you open eFile you may see the icon on the low ribbon. Scroll the TB or the wheel to see it.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 AM   #32
luc-mobile

If anyone here is still interested in plain text viewers as much as I am, check this page at BerryReview.com

Rove Mobile File Manager is a very interesting application that not only supports FTP transfers (I couldn't make it work at all with my BIS connection), but also has a very nice file manager and it opens plain text files. It is not very good: there are no "features" whatsoever in this text editor other than open, edit and save, and it can't open large txt files. Or maybe it can, but it takes forever. I tried a 450Kb file and ended up doing a battery pull after a few minutes. But, well, it's something for us to get by until we get a decent text viewer/editor - if we ever get one. Provided your text files aren't too big, it's very convenient for reading and/or editing those files in your media card.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #33
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by luc-mobile View Post
Rove Mobile File Manager is a very interesting application that not only supports FTP transfers (I couldn't make it work at all with my BIS connection)
This is a limitation of BIS, BIS blocks all ports below 1024, so if you are using BIS you cannot use the standard FTP port 21, you must use a higher port on your FTP server. The other option is if you change your connection method to TCP or BES then FTP will work over the standard port.

Quote:
it can't open large txt files. Or maybe it can, but it takes forever. I tried a 450Kb file
That is why we put a warning in the product when you open a file larger than 50kb. The BlackBerry does not have a lot of memory for applications to use, so opening a half a meg text file is not easy on the BlackBerry until the devices get more application memory to use.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:43 AM   #34
luc-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldumais View Post
That is why we put a warning in the product when you open a file larger than 50kb.
Thanks for the reply, Paul. I didn't get any "warning" so far, except sometimes Rove will tell me "No viewer found for selected file type". It happens more often with big text files, but with small files too. They are all plain text files, I'm sure. I wonder if there could be any issue with Unix-style line breaks. That's the only thing that I can think of, although all of my text files are Unix-style text files and most of them are opening correctly.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:30 PM   #35
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Paul. I didn't get any "warning" so far, except sometimes Rove will tell me "No viewer found for selected file type". It happens more often with big text files, but with small files too. They are all plain text files, I'm sure. I wonder if there could be any issue with Unix-style line breaks. That's the only thing that I can think of, although all of my text files are Unix-style text files and most of them are opening correctly.
I passed it on to our developer and he says that's it's probably a bug with unicode or extended ascii characters, since we did notice you are in brazil. We will put it down as a bug we need to look at in the future releases.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:00 PM   #36
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
I passed it on to our developer and he says that's it's probably a bug with unicode or extended ascii characters, since we did notice you are in brazil. We will put it down as a bug we need to look at in the future releases.
I haven't tried your two released products yet, in part because using BIS for Mobile Desktop has been a pain. I suspect the issue is with Sprint and the fact that there is no APN to specify. Anybody having better luck with these products from the Sprint/CDMA side of the world?

And Paul, FYI I'm not griping -- trying to get something to work with all the different flavors out there has to be a royal PITA.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:46 AM   #37
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
I haven't tried your two released products yet, in part because using BIS for Mobile Desktop has been a pain. I suspect the issue is with Sprint and the fact that there is no APN to specify. Anybody having better luck with these products from the Sprint/CDMA side of the world?
To use Mobile Desktop you can simply set the connection method to "BIS - Internet Browser" under Options, this does not require any kind of APN settings, and should work fine on Sprint assuming you have a BIS Data plan. As well BIS will only work if the computer you are trying to connect to has a public IP address on the internet.

Another option is to use our PCMobilizr product, as it simplifies a lot of the configuration pains people have with Mobile Desktop and is much easier to get up and running with:
PCMobilizr - Access your PC from anywhere

I highly recommend that you contact our support team, and they can ask specific questions about your configuration and they can get you up and running in no time:
Rove - Support
Old 03-28-2008, 01:40 PM   #38
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Quote:
To use Mobile Desktop you can simply set the connection method to "BIS - Internet Browser" under Options, this does not require any kind of APN settings, and should work fine on Sprint assuming you have a BIS Data plan. As well BIS will only work if the computer you are trying to connect to has a public IP address on the internet.

Another option is to use our PCMobilizr product, as it simplifies a lot of the configuration pains people have with Mobile Desktop and is much easier to get up and running with:
PCMobilizr - Access your PC from anywhere

I highly recommend that you contact our support team, and they can ask specific questions about your configuration and they can get you up and running in no time:
Rove - Support
Paul,

Thanks for the response -- I wasn't terribly precise.

I have Mobile Desktop working, it is just painfully slow over BIS. Your support staff was quite helpful in getting it working. I think that the issue is the BIS model. I have thought about installing the free BES to get around this issue, but I suspect (haven't researched it completely) that MDS is not enabled on BB Professional.

And I've also considered using PCMobilizr (your announcement of that looked quite good), but I've debated some security-related issues involved in getting an intermediary involved like that requires.

Hopefully that explains why I haven't been pestering your tech support with questions, and also why I'm not completely bent out of shape.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #39
aniruddha

Model: 8810

I am also looking for a plain text editor, and if I read this thread correctly there isn't a viable alternative for the blackberry?!
Old 04-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #40
pauldumais
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniruddha View Post
I am also looking for a plain text editor, and if I read this thread correctly there isn't a viable alternative for the blackberry?!
Yes there is, you can use Mobile File Manager to edit plain text files located on your device or on remote servers, it's free too:
Rove - Products - Mobile File Manager for BlackBerry
Closed Thread